Insatiable
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 September 2016
This is actually a good CD from popstars the rivals winner Nadine Coyle who rose to fame to be in Girls Aloud. She does have a by far better voice than Cheryl Cole but I don't know why Nadine didn't put her songs like 'Fields of Gold' or 'Show me Heaven' as she did sing them really well. I like the fact she has tried to make it a pop album and I like the catchy Insatiable and a few others are good. I hoped she was to release another album with some ballads as her voice is lovely to listen too but unlike Cheryl Cole who has done reasonably well, Nadine has disappeared off the radar.
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2014
I bought this CD album because I like Girls Aloud - now I wish I hadn't. The songs are unmemorable, and - to be honest - a little boring. Yes, Nadine had the best voice in Girls Aloud (my dog can sing better than Cheryl Cole), but it would have been interesting to see what she could have done with better material.

There's not one song on this album that sticks in your head - come the next day, you'll have forgotten all about Insatiable ......
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2013
In 2010 after a lot of waiting Girls Aloud lead singer Nadine Coyle finally released her debut album Insatiable. The album was loved by fans but overlooked and underrated by critics and the charts. Unlike some of her band mates Nadine chose a more organic stripped down route with her album, she also chose to release it herself ( through UK chain store Tesco) on her own label Black Pen Records. Though I admire her for this it ensured she would not have the promotion, budget or support she needed for this album to get the attention it deserved. In any case the goal of this album ( I believe) was to show everyone what Nadine was all about ( to a certain extent she is known to be a private person, and has unfairly received the "she's not relatable enough" tag because of it) and do pop/r&b on her terms, her way. Did it accomplish it's goal? I think so. Let's get into the album:
1.)Runnin: The opening track is one of my favorites, with a simple but nice beat and some little synth in the background Nadine's voice is able to take center stage. The song's lyrics about the protagonist scared and "runnin" away from a relationship but now realizing that was a mistake are great "Lost, I couldn't find my way cause every road I took would always end the same. So I walked alone so carefully too afraid to let my legs pick up the speed. Each time you got closer I pushed you far away, but now we get the chance to start over every single day." I give it 8/10
2.)Put Your Hands Up: This is another one of my favorites, many have said this should have been the first single and I can't really disagree. Nadine's voice is wonderful with the late 80's style party vibe, plenty of synths. The upbeat fun flirty lyrics help as well. "We feel our best and I'm done with stress, put your hands up, put your put your hands up! We're in it for life so I'm saying this twice let's get together. Put your hands up Put your Put your hands up! 10/10
3.) Chained: Another of my favorite tracks with a light but "stomp and crunch" beat and what seems to be some piano or string in the background. Nadine sings with some nice vocal runs in the middle 8, with lyrics about how the protagonist is feeling "chained" by her man's love afraid she'll never be able to get away. "But I know something ain't right, your love has locked me so tight I got this feeling that you ain't gonna stay and I'm never gonna break away. I've been chained by you, you've got the key to me boy yes you do. I always though you were a gentleman but now you've showed me I was too blind to see now I'm wishing for a better man. To find somebody to break these chains that are holding me."8/10
4.)Insatiable: The title track I have always loved but for many was a grower. While I do feel PYHUP should have been the lead single this one if it had been marketed better could have gone farther. Nadine's voice is on point as usual and the beat with horns, and a somewhat throwback style are fun. The problem with this album is it was released at the height of the Euro-Dance Auto-Tune trend and doesn't follow it. All kids wanted was club/trance music with overproduced auto-tuned to death vocals and identical computer beats. Add to that the lack of the support of a major label and Nadine's poor treatment by the press at the time and the album got buried before it could be appreciated for what it was. 9/10
5.)Red Light: I'll admit this one has never been on of my favorites on the album, not because of Nadine, because of the lyrics and the background. Though I love the rock feel and the beat is great but it doesn't quite come together as intended and it could have been tighter and better but it's not bad. 6/10
6.)Sexy Love Affair: This one grew on me because I love Nadine's falsetto and sultry style on it. The lyrics are a bit silly ( "1,2,3 yeah you got me and the rest is history I suck at math but I know..") but they get the point across. Sounding a bit like Mariah Carey or Beyoncé here as she indulges her fantasies with a guy whom she's having said love affair with. In the middle a man's voice trades lines about how the secret couple don't want to do anything without each and can't get enough. The piano backed beat may take a second to get used to but when you do it works with the song. 9/10
7.)Lullaby: This is another of my and many Nadine fan favorites and another one that should have been a single. It starts out slowly and with an almost Enya like tone in the background before some drums come in then a dance like "crunch" beat comes in after. The lyrics about the protagonist missing her former love but knowing and feeling in her heart they will be together again one day are well written( reminiscent of "Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey) and Nadine connects with the song well. ( I have always disagreed with and never understood claims Nadine doesn't connect with subject matter. She shouldn't have to be screaming like this is a live concert for the message to get across. Nadine knows when to hold back a little bit and when to go into melisma, adlibs and all the extra stuff.)"I can't help but stare at your shirt on the chair it's been watching me cry for weeks". "So I just sing a lullaby-bye bye-bye but my heart is saying it's not the end... cause I now I'm gonna see you again." "It's written in the melodies, that we were meant to be. With me is where you belong, and as long you're away babe I'll be waiting here just singing this song." 10/10
8.)You Are The One: This one took a minute to grow on me but it did. Nadine sounds very vulnerable and emotional but still in control. This slowed down soul r&b style ballad about the protagonist finally finding the one after always giving up on relationships. This has some real life shades to it IMO. Some of the songs are here were obviously inspired by Nadine's relationship with longtime on/off love former NFL player Jason Bell. They were engaged at the time this album was being recorded however in the summer of 2011 they called off the engagement, then in August 2013 Nadine surprised everyone and announced not only had she and Jason been back together for some time, she is expecting the couple's first child due in 2014. The lyrics about how she knows he is the one and even if she walks away she will come right back are heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. 10/10
9.)Natural: This is another one of my favorites, everything from the arrangement to the lyrics just work. The piano and soft beat work with Nadine's softer tone on the ballad about feeling natural and good in one's skin. Thanking someone for making her feel brand new and good, helping her overcome her fears and insecurities are so refreshing and warm. 10/10
10.)Raw: This one feels a bit like a combination of Insatiable, Runnin, and Chained but it works. The lyrics and beat about how her man's love has left her raw are sweet and honest. Nadine is known as someone who rarely makes her private thoughts public let alone about her love life. So to hear these honest feelings about how scared she used to be, and how her and Jason's relationship changed her and helped her open up and not be as afraid are endearing. "You were true then I knew I could be embraced, set me free to no longer be rejected" " I can feel this is real nothing has felt better... Felt so much with this love there's no scale to measure" " You fill me up with such a feeling, didn't know I was needing so much more". 9/10
11.)Rumors: This one is not only one of my favorite Nadine Coyle songs but one of my favorites period. The lyrics to this song are perfect for anyone feeling down, who has been talked about, lied about/lied on. Nadine knows better than anyone about all of that. From the press and even Girls Aloud fan starting rumors about her she is letting everyone know she is above it. "Falling so far from the truth, playing catch up with no room for me to breathe... We know better than their lies, they have no room to criticize. Don't wanna walk away cause everything they say is just a drop in the Ocean to me... It's just rumors they've got no worth just words going round don't let them bring us down. They're just rumors I know they hurt I need you to believe in me not those rumors... Believe in half of what you see and nothing that you hear, the whispers. What do you want from us? Get out of my way! Get out of my face! So just keep talking." A great message that needed to be said. 10/10
12.)Unbroken: This one isn't one of my favorites, but I do like it. Nadine returns to the falsetto sound and nails it. The beat has a late 70's early 80's lite fm vibe to it. The lyrics about someone worried about how her lover will treat her and what staying with him will affect her. She wants to be in her words "unbroken", she doesn't want to leave but is afraid to stay,very much a theme on the album. 7/10
13.) I'll Make A Man Out Of You Yet: To close out the album is this somewhat unique perspective styled ballad. The strong piano, late 90's style and strings and power ballad/soul/r&b style blend well. A good message as well, the protagonist tells her new man that he's going to have to cut the macho ladies man crap and earn her love, treat her with respect, give everything he's got ( and give before he gets) and she's going to teach him how. Sultry somewhat sexy vibe but with a strong message and good writing. 10/10
Overall I give this album 4 out 5 stars. Nadine's voice is almost perfect and she co-wrote and produced the album. Some songs could have been a little stronger but I applaud Nadine for giving her all on every song ( yet not over-singing) and not giving into trends, being honest and true to herself in her own way. It's a shame whoever her management team at the time was didn't know what to do with her and the press decided to focus on making up a fake feud between her and Cheryl Cole instead of this wonderful album. I hope as time goes on Insatiable continues to be discovered and appreciated ( Better late than never) by music lovers everywhere. I would recommend to pop/r&b music lovers.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2017
I bloody love this album! I swear Nadine should have been so much bigger than she was but instead the praise all went to Cheryl. Crime of the century if you ask me. Nadine is no 1
on 23 May 2013
Nadine Coyle's first solo album 'Insatiable' is one of those albums that I believe has been sadly overlooked by the general public. There are probably a few reasons for this, but instead of focusing on those I'll actually review the album itself. The album is quite consistent in it's sound, although there are a few songs that immediatly stood out to me. These were the incredibly catchy lead single 'Insatiable', the heartfelt 'Rumours' and the fun opening song 'Runnin'. As a whole the album works well and doesn't have any major flaws, providing a quite enjoyable listen. If I had to critique something though it would be the subject matter. Nearly all of the songs are about love or heartbreak, but as this is true for 90% of albums it can be quite easily forgiven. It is not an artistic masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it is not trying to be. What it is trying to be is a good pop album and I think it accomplishes that goal very well. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone thinking of buying a fun pop album.
on 28 May 2018
great album /dvd
on 8 May 2016
easy listen
on 14 June 2015
Wanted to try it as loved her voice in Girls Aloud. Great sound
on 30 May 2013
My daughter is a big fan of Girls Aloud so anything by any of them is a big hit. See also Kimberley and Cheryl
on 30 May 2013
I'm huge Nadine Coyle fan and i was looking forward to hearing her first album and i got say it was worth the wait,i really enjoyed listening to album over and over again.
The album is worth your album,nadine is far better singer in Girls Aloud
GO OUT AND BUY IT