on 6 September 2011
I've got virtually every accessory to go with the GoPro HD, and I figured this would be useful for ...something. My thought was diving/spearfishing. The first one I received was broken (not the housing, but the little black clasp that locks it together). Amazon exchanged it and have now used it a couple of times. It's good enough and does what you'd expect, but I just don't see how you'd get any decent footage with it. The viewing position/angle of the camera is fixed, so once it's attached to your wrist it can only look in one of two directions (depending on how you orient it.)

It would be far better if the housing sat on something that would pivot/turn, that way it wouldn't matter how you attach it to to your wrist, you could adjust the viewing position - e.g., it could look straight down your arm, for instance.

Unless you have a really specific need for this, I'd stick with e.g., the head strap.
on 1 November 2012
I wanted to review this item to give other buyers a heads up and learn from my loss. I'm not normally one to moan, but i wish i'd been online to read reviews about this before i bought one!
I bought a wrist strap to wear body boarding and surfing, just for a bit of fun footage on my GoPro. I double checked that it was done up securely, and we had an hour or so good footage on it, until one big-ish wave come, and next thing i look at my wrist to find an open case and my camera in the Atlantic Ocean never to be seen again! the catch on this case is on the bottom, not at the top like all the other waterproof cases, i'm no designer, but guessing this is causing a week spot under pressure as its on the mounting point.
I have read that others have had the same issue.
..........I'm now saving for another GoPro! If you value yours you will want to think twice about using this case :(
on 25 July 2012
Great product apart from the fact the clip attached on the wrist housing that closes it to make it waterproof snapped completely in half after only a few uses. Does not seem like a genuine product if it can break that easily.
on 12 September 2011
The only good way of captuing scuba, put on your wrist and use as if you're showing the fish your watch, pefect for a drift dive (if the reef is on the correct side!) holds your camera safe. Originally designed for surfing, you can hold and still keep balanced.

Would be 5 stars but needs to use the standard mount so that you can use the 3D housing on your wrist in the same way (although would perhaps make it quite a bit more bulky than a dedicated mount).
on 7 November 2011
Perfect for surfing is the very first manufacturers comment. Having just come back from a week in Gran Canaria where I used this mount for the very first time I beg to differ.

We used the Go Pro on this wrist mount for diving (absolutely fine). Later in the week we were playing in the surf and I was taking photos of the waves. These weren't massive waves, big enough to knock you off your feet if you didn't duck quickly enough, but only just big enough to surf on, nothing extreme.

So picture the scene, there I am, Go Pro firmly on the wrist, snapping away in the sunshine having a great time when I get pushed over by a wave. I surface, look at my wrist and it's bare!

So somewhere in the Atlantic right now there is £200 worth of Go Pro, £30 worth of wrist mount, and whatever the card cost (it was 32 GB!) The only saving grace was I'd already downloaded the diving photos to a netbook.

So would I recommend this item? No way.

And if you have already got one, make sure you back up your card at the earliest opportunity!
on 5 January 2013
I bought this product for both skiing and mountain biking and it turns out its completely useless for both. Why? Because the angles are fixed to either left or right if your arm is straight out in front of you which renders this completely pointless and clearly designed without the user in mind. The product needs to be able to rotate at its base though it does not. Really not sure what use this has for any sport. It's going back.....
on 28 August 2013
All the Go pro stuff has been thoroughly tested to the extreme level by the worlds best pros and they always deliver.
I have now had this item for over a year and it still works fine.
I have used this in peniche supertubos all winter with no leaks at all, so very happy.
Well done go pro.
on 19 September 2011
As a filmmaker, I'm always trying to come up with new ways to do things. This piece of kit, although not perfect, does one job pretty well:

I've been shooting ariel shots of ballet using this bad boy. It's perfect for strapping around a fly bar - and with the Battery BacPac you can shoot continuously in 720p 60fps for about 4.5 hours - which it needs to as obviously you have to start recording long before the curtain rises.

Now, the Go Pro isn't perfect for this job - it's fixed focus is a little short - and this housing needs a little work to make it safe - a little cable tie across the rubber clasp is what I used as for some reason the rubber tie is not made tight enough. However, it saves me using up a 3M sticky mount every time I use it in a new space - and I think the techies see it as more secure than something held on by sticky tape! Even though we all know those sticky mounts really stick.

All in all, if you can find the right use for it, this is a pretty cool way of mounting your GoPro in unusual places. I'm sure I'll think of more... :)
on 3 September 2013
I recently bought a GoPro when travelling, and because I couldn't find anyone who stocked the head strap, I had to go with this whilst snorkeling. For my purposes in the water the strap was secure and stable, and the device worked as advertised. However, if you are using this, don't expect to film what's in front of you with any level of comfort or stability. I think this will be better when skiing for filming other skiers, or any activity where you are side by side though. Personally, I think one would be better off with a pole attachment.
on 14 July 2012
I bought this to attach to a kitesurf strut and it worked perfectly after I extended the velcro straps with additional velcro to fit the wide strut. I am now getting some great aerial shots.

Negatives: A very odd/flimsy rubber ring latch system that aims to pop up the camera from your wrist. I found the latch way too loose and I replaced it with the additional black velcro piece that comes with the strap. There are loads of videos online trying to explain this mechanism.

Also there are no instructions for the odd little black velcro strap you get with it. What does it do? Nobody knows. I used it to replace the rubber ring latch, but I'm sure that can't be the intended use.

It's a shame GoPro didn't find a way to allow rotation of the camera. Surely no that difficult.

Overall - it does its intended job and seems solid.