Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas Soul Playlist Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Devil [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 17 August 2014
This is number one of the night Chronicles, based on Characters trapped in the lift and each has a secret sinful past. There are two elements I am happy about this Movie, the Actors are still new and fresh because if you spotted a very familiar face, it would ruin the viewing. Secondly at Last the Devil is not the menacing trouble maker tormenting poor silly humans like Us just to snatch us to the fire gates, in fact the Devil is a punisher of the wicked and sinful, I'm not pious nor religious but how many times have I heard the devil is evil but he takes wicked people to hell? Doesn't make sense.
All in All it is an entertaining, humorous suspense of "Murder in the dark" and plot of "ten little Indians" with a good script, truthful message of facing the wrongs that some people do in their lives, and clear their conscience. I will watch it again.
on 4 September 2016
A lot of what this film is about is given away at the start, the idea is pretty great although it could do with a bit more of 'show dont tell' and let the viewer come up with their own ideas not just say its the Devil straight away.

The ending has a few nice little twists but it still doesnt make the film great just makes up for the plot being pretty obvious early on.

I would say I'm not annoyed I watched it but I wouldnt bother watching it again or recommend it to anyone if they asked for a good film to watch.
on 16 December 2014
My family loved this DVD Devil, but for me I thought it was a bit of a strange film. Not one that I would personally recommend unless you are in this type of film.
on 1 December 2007
It's really great that this film is available at last. "The Devil", alongside the legendary "Possession", is Andrzej Zulawski's most extreme movie. It is truly one of the most claustrophobic and hallucinatory films I have ever seen. Although this extremity is not the reason for it's banning in Poland, the authorities took offence to the allegorical nature of the film, deciphering it as an attack on them. Whatever Zulawski's motive for making the film, he has achieved a relentless, hypnotic thrill ride. It's incredibly fast paced, sexually explicit, and very violent. One scene involving a musket and a man's face is one of the most shockingly gory scenes in cinema history. But don't let that put you off, it's never depressing or exploitative.
I must also mention the soundtrack, that pretty much creates it's own form of music. A kind of collision between prog rock and Stockhausen.
It's a crime that Zulawski isn't more widely hailed (like tarkovsky, or polanski), because he really is one of the best directors of the 20th century, and the guy is still alive! Although I suppose maybe he has to die before people truly recognise him as an artist. Buy this at once if you appreciate forward thinking art.
Well, in recent years we've had many offerings from the mind of 'M.NIGHT SHYAMALAN' i've found them to be either pure genius or total 'pants' among the really good 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable' among the 'pants' 'The Village' and 'The Happening' with maybe 'Signs' in the middle ( though i did like that one ) 'DEVIL' does fall in the inbetween bracket.
The story tells of five strangers suffering the trauma of a lift-breakdown, each of them seem to hold secrets from the past they would rather forget, one of them is 'looking for a soul to steal'
The story is made more interesting because of the fact that both security officers and a detective are looking on totally helpless to prevent what happens..
It's a tense film well worth a watch at the very least.
on 24 September 2013
The movie starts out with an a priori that the devil exist and takes human form. Part of the movie is narration. His gateway is a suicide, which happens early, as a man falls on a Bethel Bread truck. (Bethel is Hebrew for house of God.) An investigator, who lost his family in a hit and run 5 years ago is talking in a restaurant to a man we never see again. He tells him that "the ability to forgive determines the quality of the rest of your life." While investigating the suicide, another murder happens with 5 people trapped in an elevator.

We don't know much about these people, or for that fact we never get to know any of the characters. We do know from all the narration chatter that one of these people is the devil. It is up to us, the audience, to figure out who it is. I won't tell you who it is, but I was able to nail the person right off, having seen "10 Little Indians." There is a fleeting clue in the film too. For someone who is new to horrors with twists, this might be a good beginner. For seasoned viewers, you might find the movie a bit slow and predictable.

The acting was good and did what it could to save the script, a solid three and a half stars overall. I will say one thing, the Philadelphia Fire Department was never that slow when Rizzo was mayor.
on 23 September 2016
Did not expect too much from it - M Night Shyamalan hasn't been having a too good run lately and the film is populated by B list and unheard of actors but it wasn't half bad - those unknowns did quite well and it was fairly suspenseful most of the time and you were kept guessing until the end who was the big D despite formulaic red herrings. The opening sequence was quite interesting. Bit preachy at the end but still worth a view.
on 24 October 2017
Thought the film was really good. For a film about peopke stuck in a lift and a detective trying to get them out and solve why they are getting murdered one by one, i dont think it could be much better. Wiggle.
on 11 June 2011
The only negative thing I can say about this film is that the idea reminded me a little bit too much of "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story revolves around four people stuck in a lift, one is the devil there to take the souls of the wicked other three. As people are killed off one by one you try to puzzle out which of the remainder is the devil. I found it really frightening and didn't guess who the devil was although I had my suspicions. This is a really gripping, absorbing thriller that will keep you guessing right until the end. It was recommended to me and I highly recommend to others.
on 14 March 2011
After reading other reviews I almost didn't buy this film. I would have missed out! better than I expected with an original story line, good acting and not too bad an ending. Its not a scary as many films I have watched but does keep you guessing. Well worth ignoring the bad reviews for