on 4 February 2014
As I didn't have the earlier, slimmer, version of this book I have no complaints about a re-hash or being cheated. Anyone buying this book will get exactly what they expect and almost all will be delighted by that. I was! There was very, very, little in this book that I already knew and the real frustration is that, after every new fact, I thought "Wow, I'll remember that!" when, in reality, I can remember almost nothing.

I didn't dip in and out of this book; I read it like a novel and like the true 'QI junkie' that I am. Each snippet is short; usually less than two pages and there are lots and lots of them. They are ordered in a very loose arrangement that makes some, often very tenuous, connection between one item and the next. All are utterly fascinating and I didn't come across a single item that was only 'mildly interesting'; every one was brilliant.

Everyone who buys this book (for themselves) must be satisfied with it as you wouldn't buy it unless you are a fan of the QI TV programme, and, if you are, this is like a concentrated dose of pure QI. This is the beef stock cube of pedantic trivia and I loved it!

As you might imagine, I'm a real 'know-all' and delight in trotting out those little known facts at the drop of a hat. It doesn't make me popular but it does entertain me! I will, definitely, be dipping into this little gem from time to time and the index at the back is very helpful. Actually, a tiny proportion of this wisdom will stay with me. For example, the next time that I see the banana plants around our villa in Cyprus, I'll remember that they aren't trees at all and are sterile! Osmotic learning at its best.

You wouldn't be reading this unless you were contemplating buying this book. And you wouldn't be contemplating buying it unless you had seen QI on TV and it had piqued your interest. Here's some news for you; If you've got this far, it's too late and you're hooked, so just give in to the cravings, buy this book and wriggle with guilty pleasure as you soak up everything you'll never need to know.
on 16 July 2012
I'm sure there must be folks out there who hate random snippets of knowledge and don't care who actually invented the telephone, why geese were once thought to be a kind of fish or even a vegetable, whether one can die by eating too many potatoes, what Richard Gere's middle name is, or which nation consumes the most Spam. But in all honesty, I don't know why any of them would buy this book.

If, like me, you enjoy finding out that Eskimos buy refrigerators to stop their food from getting too cold, or why a paperclip was an emotive symbol in Norway during WWII, or having your curiosity piqued to realise that scientists don't know how ants manage to have a photographic memory or that the best place to find a hitherto unknown to science species is in your own back garden, then this will be right up your street.

If, like me, you enjoy finding out that Eskimos buy refrigerators to stop their food from getting to cold, or why a paperclip was an emotive symbol in Norway during WWII, or having your curiosity piqued to realise that scientists don't know how ants manage to have a photographic memory or that the best place to find a hitherto unknown to science species is in your own back garden, then this will be right up your street.

As an extra added bonus for fans of the show, there are snippets of dialogue from various episodes, which are generally funny and sometimes howlingly so.

So if you would like to find out what rhymes with orange, why banana plants walk, or which sea mammals served as part of the Task Force in Iraq, snap this up and enjoy.
on 31 March 2013
I've just finished the book 1,227 Facts to Blow Your Socks Off by these two Authors, which really surprised me with the facts presented. In this tome, some of those facts from that book are represented here with a fuller discussion as to why what is said is 'fact'. It's incredibly interesting and a very easy read.

I love simple compendium-type books and this fits that bill perfectly. You'll love the one on how to suppress a crocodile!

In the aforementioned Facts book, I noticed a very strange thing whilst reading it on my Kindle Fire. It counted the time left in chapter down in the bottom left hand corner of each page. This book also started with that format, but has since changed to Page Numbers. I notice that this feature begins as checking your reading speed. I'll have to watch that again when I read Book 2 in this series to see if it happens again. Quite honestly, I'd rather have the page numbers! Perhaps someone saw my review for the aforementioned book and changed the format? It was the strangest thing to see!

Great book, guys. Can't wait to read the second volume!
on 27 December 2014
It's a fine thing to discover after a lifetime of acquiring facts that every schoolboy/educated adult should know that almost all of these common knowledge gems are wrong. Well, at least according to the authors of this excellent "stout book".

Leafing through the volume just doesn't work because as soon as you start to read a snippet, you become totally engrossed and find yourself reading compulsively on.

Never mind that the new views are somewhat skewed, the information about every point is fascinating and absorbing. A highly recommended addition to any household.
on 20 January 2013
I am a trusty viewer of QI on tv, it is a brilliant quiz show. I thought this book would be fun to have, to learn even more fun facts. BUT to my disappointment, the facts in this book is exactly the same as the questions in the tv-show. It is fine, but I was expecting something new. It all depends on what you expect from the book. There is NOTHING new in the book, it is the same questions as in the show with the same answers. I would only recommend this book for someone who has not seen very much of the show.
11 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2017
The QI books are quite good and quite interesting! I like these book because they are full of short pieces that can be read on their own and thus they are perfect for reading when a proper novel would be too complicated and require too much effort. Like when I am in bed falling asleep.
on 1 July 2009
As others have said, this book will turn you into a fact-spewing geek for a few weeks. It's very interesting and enlightening but you also realise that all the things it's telling you will just make you sound like a smart arse should you try and tell anyone else about it.

It's also true that a lot of the facts rely on fake questions or answers that rely on technicalities. For every few questions that's like "What's the driest place on Earth?" which is followed by a suitably surprising yet factually correct answer - a logical pairing of straight question and straight answer - there's a question that misleads you or an answer that feels rather smug; the QI equivalent of saying "Which hand is the 10p coin in?" when it is, in fact, in neither hand (or as this book would have it, "It's not actually a coin because..." or "These aren't actually hands because...")

That said, it can be really hard to put down, though is also great for quick little reads (perhaps while you're on the toilet or waiting for the kettle to boil) since it's obviously broken up into questions rather than large chapters.

Just do your friends and family a favour by keeping your newly found wealth of knowledge to yourself. Maybe lend them the book rather than trying to recite it to them (easier than it sounds, believe me).
on 5 February 2017
This is something i bought for my eldest child, as they love QI.

If you're a QI aficionado, then this is the book for you. It is jam-packed full of daft facts that will make you laugh, cry and be stunned into disbelief. Highly recommend this as a fun read.
on 3 May 2014
I really didn't know what to get one of my guy friends for his birthday/Christmas, as both fall close to each other. He isn't really into sports or anything like that, which often makes things a little more difficult when deciding what to buy. But he loves unusual facts and books like this, so it made a great gift and solved my problems. Thank you!! Great price, fast delivery and well packaged.
on 8 February 2014
It is entertaining and interesting - though the information is not always accurate. Just because they are clever men and on TV, does not mean they know everything about everything! One or two of the so-called facts which they have put forward, I know from personal experience to be untrue! But in the main, I enjoyed the book.
One person found this helpful