VINE VOICEon 11 December 2011
I have used the gadget to use my iPhone as a camera, AND to use it on my desk when working.

It is so easy to set up, very flexible and gives a really robust platform to work with.

It does take a minute to fit the strip for the iPhone (which will replace any other) but once done the system is excellent.
on 9 February 2011
Bought this to do some time lapse movies on my iPhone. The tripod is nice and stable, my main problem is with the phone case that the tripod legs attach to. It's a very tight fit, and the on/off switch on the phone is constantly pressed halfway down, so that the phone will sometimes try to shut down depending on how you hold it. The case is fine for popping on the phone when you want to use the tripod, but it definitely not suitable for general use when the tripod legs aren't attached.
on 30 July 2011
I've tried other tripod solutions for the iPhone 4 but this is the best. I have not experienced the issues of the case being too tight that other people have encountered. The case is a very snug fit, it has to be to hold the phone steady, but I've had no instances of it accidentally pressing the buttons of the phone.
This is a must for those who enjoy messing around with photography apps that require a tripod such as slow shutters apps.
on 23 March 2012
It's not bad, but there's as design fault. When set up in Landscape mode, the + volume button (that I and most people I know) use for taking a photos sits at the bottom facing the ground rather than at the top where you'd want it. Minor problem, but quite annoying. It was probably designed before the feature to use that button was introduced. Maybe they'll correct it for the next model.
on 31 August 2013
Joby makes good tripods. This one is let down by the flimsy phone holder that is far too easy to break (I packed mine in a suitcase without its packaging and without having the phone in it, and that was it).

That said, I can still use it to hold up the phone even though part of the holder is now missing. For stationary use it is quite good enough (and in its current state it is a lot easier to get the phone into).

Like most iPhone tripods, it is made to be used without a protective cover on the phone. This means I can't use it with my fisheye, as that screws into a bespoke cover. Ah well, we're not supposed to get that much functionality for this little money, I guess - I suppose I should buy a Hero3 camera for what I try to achieve.
on 6 July 2012
How on earth do you attach the provided frame to the tripod? Or, better said, how do you screw in the provided screw into the plastic frame?? Can't find any port into which the main screw will fit. Poor instruction booklet, a mess to deal with. Several hours spent trying to figure out how it works. Or else, we have been sent the wrong item, by mistake!
on 2 December 2011
A great piece of kit, I love it and highly recommend it!

No more "thats himself in front of the statue," & "thats me in front of the same statue" type photos.
And with my dodgy language skills, thankfully no more asking total strangers to take a photo of you & your beloved in front of the tourist attractions.

We have taken it on several trips including our honeymoon and we set it up on snow, on rocks, on handrails, even hanging from the fence at Alcatraz.
We use it every chance we get. I never doubted its reliablity and trusted it to hold my precious iphone securely and also, with the attachment, even my slightly bulky old digital camera felt totally safe.
Other tourists stopped to ask us what we were using and I had no hesitation in recommending the Gorilla to anyone who asked.
on 27 May 2011
The tripod is great, can wrap it round anything etc, however the iPhone 4 case that comes with it, isn't the best fit. First it's too tight and difficult to get the phone into it. secondly, because it is tight, it keeps the power button pressed down, so you need to jiggle with it a little to stop it powering off the phone. Finally, again, due to the tightness, it leaves marks on the metal edges of the phone if you're not careful, and if you have a screen protector... well mine got damaged after using the case..

but the tripod is brilliant.. and works with other point and shoot cameras..
on 1 May 2013
Bought this to steady my phone whilst taking pictures and a few videos , the tripod is good you can pretty much place your phone anywhere you like to get the perfect shot... However the cradle that you fit the phone into is a bit disappointing .....I have a screen protector fitted as do most people... And whilst fitting the cradle it's such a tight awkward fit...it damaged the screen protector .. If it hadn't been fitted the cradle would of fitted perfect ....but i think the design could be slightly improved in all good ...but I wouldn't buy another one if mine broke slightly disappointing
on 9 April 2012
This works just fine and was easy to assemble and use. I got it so that the kids could do stop motion movies with the iPhone and even they had no bother with it. It comes with a small attachment in case you want to use it with a standard camera which I cellotaped to it as there is no chance I wouldn't lose it (or at least the kids would). Suggest they find a way of incorporating a keep-safe attachement for it as cellotape is not very 21st Century!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse