Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 3 April 2011
More than two years ago, I got THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME (2006) for Christmas and I was blown away. It was beautiful, funny, touching and it made me shed a tear or two. When I heard that it's director, Mamoru Hosoda, was making a follow-up, titled SUMMER WARS (2009), I waited for the film to reach these shores, hoping it would be just as wonderful as THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME.

And, it was. SUMMER WARS has the same enthusiasm and passion that made THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME so good. I can't really say which of the two films are the best, because they have different storylines. Nevertheless, SUMMER WARS reunites Hosoda with nearly all of the people who worked on his 2006 hit, including screenwrtier Sakoto Okudera and character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (who is also responsible for designing my all-time favourite anime character, EVANGELION's Rei Ayanami).

Despite the large cast of characters (up to thirty!), each of them are memorable. The action sequences, taking place in the online world of OZ, doesn't disappoint at all. But Hosoda also finds time for the drama of the characters in the real world. Some people have pointed out that the plot of the film bore some similarly to DIGIMON: THE MOVIE (2000), which Hosoda directed. But I haven't seen the DIGIMON film and I have no plans to, since it's aimed at DIGIMON fans only. SUMMER WARS is a family movie.

This film deserves the acclaim and awards it has got and it's a must-buy for every single anime fan. I look foward to Hosoda's next film. If THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME saw Hosoda as a rising anime filmmaker, then SUMMER WARS has sealed his place as one of the finest animation directors in Japan.

Reviewer: Ben David W
on 6 July 2011
I waited to get this on blu ray. Its worth it. Great caracters and story. This is why I love anime. I laugh and cry watching this. Excellent.
on 24 March 2016
grabs you from the beginning, brilliant story, gorgeous backgrounds, lots of extras
on 4 June 2015
Wonderfully vivid story animated flawlessly. Animation as it should be.
on 3 April 2011
I bought this on a whim, as I saw in Empire this film had won LOTS of awards across the world.

All I can say is: it's deserved. I don't think I've ever seen a film that deals so well combining both domestic and epic stories - the family members are hilarious and well characterised (just don't ask me their names) and the "save the world" story is more tense than most thrillers you can name. The pacing feels right, it looks and sounds amazing and I was surprised how deep and varied my emotional response was. I laughed, I was on the edge of my seat and, with the "unknown user from Germany", I was really moved.

A triumph across all fronts - direction, writing, visuals and sound. This is one of the best anime I've seen.
on 5 May 2011
First I would like to say that I'm not that greatly into the Anime Original Films(Anime not based on anything) but when I watched this film around a friends, it tunrd out to be pretty good. The film starts off a little slow, but affter all the characters have been introduced the film then becoumes exciting and very adicting to watch. The story basicly goes theres a system that is used in every life-becuase people have relyed on technology too much-called OZ. The most popular girl in Kenji's school asks him f he wants a job, he acsepts the job and then finds out that he has to lie to her grandma and pretend to be her fiance. Late at night when he recives a text message to a maths proplem he stays up all night and solves the proplem. Next thing he knows is that he is being arested for hacking into the OZ system, when a virus is stealing peoples acounts and turning everything into chaos. The film is good and is worth watching if your into any kind of Anime.
on 21 March 2016
I had wanted to see this for a long time. I'm a huge anime fan, but this was really disappointing. I didn't care for any of the characters, the story and the 'meaning' behind the whole thing. When I read the back of the dvd it didn't sound anything like what I had just watched. In a nutshell this movie is just about some silly online game thing, nothing to do with the real world at all. I hate things like this. l was so dissapointed!! What a waste of a fiver!
on 24 March 2011
I don't have time to write a lengthly review but this is easily one of my favorite films and this is coming from a guy who's anime list watch time is up to 70 days of unique shows. It was also very well liked by my family, who aren't followers of foreign films like I am.

You want to watch this film!
on 13 May 2012
First off, this film is absolutely beautiful. Animation, colour, design, no complaints there.

My problem with it is the story. I'm a long-time anime fan and when I saw the almost universal rave reviews I put Summer Wars pretty high up my to-watch list. What I wasn't expecting was a cliche-ridden rehash of every story about a sexually frustrated, socially awkward highschool boy I've ever seen in anime.

There are two stories going on here, one of which is interesting and fun and exciting, and which is totally undermined by the other, where the kid freaks out whenever anyone speaks to him and spurts blood from his nose whenever he's in the vicinity of the girl he likes. And it all gets far too much screen time.

A different, less cliched main character and this could have been good. As it was I sat through it and then took advantage of the decent trade-in price at CEX.
on 8 August 2012
Not the greatest anime, but amusing. Well drawn, visually stimulating, storyline a bit thin. I think worth the price for a night of entertainment. Will definitely not rival Ghibli productions.