on 3 October 2013
I bought this genuine GoPro HD Skeleton Housing for my GoPro 3 so that I could add an external microphone and also charge the battery without taking the camera out of the housing each time.

The housing arrived in a few days and all was going swimmingly until I tried to fit my GoPro HD 3 camera into the housing - the camera's just a bit too large to fit.

The penny dropped that all GoPro 3 housings have a *square* window; earlier camera versions have a *round* porthole (look at the picture).

I felt pretty stupid for not spotting this beforehand but wished the Amazon description had very clearly pointed out that this housing is ONLY suitable for versions 1 and 2 of the camera, but not version 3. I tried to get Amazon to put '(Not for GoPro HD3)' in their product title but they said they couldn't because it didn't follow their guidelines for the wording of titles.

Credit to Amazon, they took the unused housing back and refunded me completely immediately (on the condition that if anything is wrong with the returned item, then they will bill me again).

I then couldn't find, on Amazon, a skeleton housing suitable for my camera (maybe you can now), so I had to buy one online from a cyclist's shop, SingleTrack Bikes (be prepared: 45 pounds!).

For information, if you also wish to add an external microphone and also charge the battery without taking the camera out of the housing, then you will need a unique GoPro accessory called a Combo Cable which I had to buy from yet another cyclist's shop (Evans Bikes) for 27 pounds. The cable also gives composite video output (via the old RCA red/white/yellow connectors, so not HD). Overall a pretty expensive initial outlay but it's versatile and a one-off purchase.
Bear in mind, the skeleton housing makes the camera NOT waterproof or dustproof but does help with cooling. The battery and camera electronics reach 50 degrees C during an hour of non-stop video recording.
Learn from my mistake regarding the housing!
on 20 July 2012
Yes I have two and they work well pleased with them and cheaper on Amazon than the Gopro site
I have had no problems with them other than the Gopro Handlebar mount broke with the vibration
And it scraped the lends but you can get replacement lenses for the case But them on Amazon as there cheaper than the Gopro site
on 15 May 2013
After all those accessories, it this one really needed? Maybe. It doesn't save your camera from rain, water, dirt, but at least you can shoot and record audio as well, by plugging a mic through one of the holes of the skeleton. Hope it's good money
on 28 February 2013
Again as with a previous GO Pro accessory review this item costs in £ what it costs in $ in the USA. I have subsequently purchased my GoPro Accessories in the USA and with the saving for the items I had needed saved enough to purchase a new hero 3 again almost £80 cheaper even with State Tax. This, however is not the fault of the seller and the service packaging and delivery was all excellent.
on 10 February 2013
While GoPro is not the best camera inside the car, when you have one, why not to use it? Then this casing comes handy, as it allows you to recharge the camera while using it. It also allows to change memory card without pulling the camera out of the casing. It has GoPro quality - and obviously also GoPro price that made me think thrice if I buy it. But it delivers.
on 22 March 2013
Convenient access to the GoPro charging, microphone and memory card slots without the hassle of removing the camera every time. The sound inside the car is a little better but an external microphone is going to be required if you want decent sounding audio.
on 1 October 2012
The time when you leave your comera unatended is when charging so, better to have a good protection. It also really inprove the sound of my recordings (HD2). very good to also extrach teh SD do a test of the postion for your pics, it without moving the camera. Indeed is a good invesment !!
on 29 April 2013
Regrettably the housing I bought does not fit the Hero 3 range of cameras, the description in the advert did not make this clear. The housing itself is of the high quality I have come to expect from the GoPro products, shame I cannot use it.
on 27 January 2013
This isn't some cheap counterpart, it comes in original gopro packaging and was all present and correct. It's perfect for plugging my external microphone into the gopro to allow me to commentate on vlog whilst motorbiking, very satisfied
on 21 December 2012
This housing allows access to all the connection points on the Hero HD2 camera and at the same time protects the camera from damage. Obviously not water proof but the ability to power the camera from a socket is a great option