Customer reviews

Mine Is Yours
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 January 2011
As a long time fan of Cold War Kids, and a massive fan of the last 2 albums of CWK I was really excited to hear this was coming and I had heard they were working with the producer who made the last two kings of Leon record's. You could say there is a slight similarity between Kings of Leon and Cold War Kids in terms of the singing style and rawness of his voice and bluesy guitar style. So fans of the last 2 kings albums would I'm sure really enjoy this album. Totally recommend to fans of Kings of leon, jeff buckley, killers, counting crows, jack white and any of the bands he has been a part of.

From opener 'Mine Is Yours' a slow building track that grows around his vocals and the piano. Nice chorus, interweaving bluesy guitar lead. to track 2 'Louder Than Ever' Big big song, reminds me of the Killers a little bit in the verses in his singing style/speed, awesome catchy chorus. 'Royal Blue' Gorgeous vocal, fantastic guitar and bongo drums, superb piano and the biggest chorus ever, my favourite on the album so far. Really sets them apart from any KOL here. ' Finally Begin' Awesome lyrics and story teller style build. Makes me think of counting crows a little bit. Love his voice on this one. 'Out of the wilderness' Layed back guitar built song with guitar looping bridges and explosive chorus and outstanding vocals. 'Skip The Charades' Slow burner, but no less of a brilliant song 'Sensitive Kid' Most unusual song on the album, electronic beat, stand out vocals on the album, raw and smooth all at the same time. Reminds me of some of the stripped back songs on the last album that i loved!! In my top 3 songs on the album. 'Bulldozer Builder of a song, awesome guitar wall of sound build with great vocals. 'Cold Toes on The Cold Floor' is another outstanding song, rings on Jeff Buckley in his voice and the stripped back instruments, very bluesy, awesome awesome song.

Overall a very strong album, warmer than the last album, more comfortable, surely coming from production by Jacquire King, but no less brilliant. I really really enjoyed this album and totally recommend it. Also check out the last 2 albums too. Robbers and Cops and Loyalty To Loyalty are slightly rawer and likely to be played more by me, but that's just personal taste, but 'Mine Is Yours' is no less brilliant and hopefully a great start for fans only just getting into Cold War Kids.

Robbers & Cowards
Loyalty To Loyalty
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2011
No longer the bloggers favourites, with this release the critics have them as trying to "do a Kings of Leon" (same producers), but what we actually have here is if anything, even less fashionable - largely ditching the white trash blues storytelling in favour of - wait for it - the build-`em-up falsetto anthems of mid '90s indie alwaysthebridesmaids mancunians James (they of the daisy t-shirts). No, really - listen to Bulldozer to see what I mean.

So that makes this a giant leap forward!
on 7 February 2011
First off, I want to say I loved this album. Sure, the first half is stronger than the second but overall it's really strong. My only concern is the similarities with Kings Of Leon, particularly on tracks 1, 4 and 6. These are near note perfect copies of KOL style (at least, the style of the last two albums, where KOL changed), which I'm sure is down to the use of the same producer. Can't complain, as these are the albums that saw KOL change both style and sales, but I loved CWK before!

Maybe it's unfair to criticise CWK for this, perhaps it's more the producer who has run out of ideas and has just done the same thing to them as he did with KOL, as it's proved successful in the past? Don't get me wrong, these songs are great, whoever they sound like, and I hope this album sees CWK reach the audience they deserve. It's just a shame they're not doing it on their own terms, sounding like they did before!

Listen to the album and make your own mind up, but I challenge you not to hear KOL in the chorus of Skip The Charades!
on 3 February 2011
Big Cold War Kids fan since my visit to the USA in 2007. 'Robbers and Cowards' was edgy and sublime. 'Mine is yours' is up there with that. Although they've gone off in a slightly different direction, with a tint of 70's/80's this album is amazing, not a bad song. The more you listen, the more you want to listen and the better it gets. Perfect. Buy this!
on 19 January 2015
Chose this album as it caught my eye as a cheap album but I've been impressed and played non stop. Loved there earlier stuff so thought id take the chance and I'm glad I did. Would love to see them live after hearing this. Some great festival type anthems on here.
on 5 September 2015