Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 10 July 2013
I have to admit that I didn't really remember Shadows from my childhood; but then again I was only seven when it was broadcast.
As a collection of tea time anthology stories it generally hit the mark and has more then a few childhood thrills.
There are three stories that I really enjoyed. Jenny Agutter and boyfriend are left over night at an old Railway waiting room and relive a fifty year old train disaster. After school, two Welsh boys discover that their school is haunted and hides a disturbing secret.
The Witch's bottle is a creepy tale about an ancient cottage and the horrific death of it's former occupant.
The only dodgy story was the comedic, Dutch Schiltz's shoes which was a let-down as it wasn't very funny or much fun.
The other three stories were all enjoyable both with interesting ideas and well written characters.
As a whole I really enjoyed Shadows and I will most definitely buy the next two seasons and I can say that most fantasy fans of all ages will enjoy Shadows.
on 18 September 2014
Mostly excellent stories except for the utterly surreal 'Dutch Schlitz's Shoes' which I hated. Why the character 'Mr Stabs' has been given centre stage on the cover is anyone's guess.
on 5 February 2017
Bought it for a nine year old.....loved it....seven episodes circa 1975.....all very different and interesting tales...some very well known faces from the past.....a character in Dutch Schlitz shoes could be the father of Russell brand?......given that it is so old, you can forgive some wooden elements.....the children of the period all look pale and fragile...wispy.....maybe we were and still are ghosts after all......shadows is a nice escape for old and new,...though some might find it tame and strange.
on 4 November 2016
I remember this from my schooldays, it was always the topic of discussion between my mates and me when it was on. Spooky and supernatural stories are great in this 1st series although there is one silly story about a dead gangsters shoes which i did not like. Great to see again after all these years, i am going to watch series 2 and 3 soon.
on 21 February 2012
We watched this as kids in the seventies. We thought it was great then. And because TV companies seemed allergic to repeating it, it build up a mystique in our minds, the longer the TV companies failed to repeat it, the more we wanted it. We are now adults, watching a CHILDRENS prog we adored. Seeing it in that context, it is very good. The trip down memory lane was wonderful. But if you start viewing it as a cynical adult, you could be a spoilsport and say a couple of the story lines were a little cliche'.
Don't view it like that, it's good. If you have some kids of your own, it could go one of two ways. One they are too sophisticated in this age of computer games and wont rate it. Or two, the old ones are the best and they will say wow this undiscovered neglected treasure is great, where did you get this from? Good to see early acting appearances from Gareth Thomas, Blake of Blake's Seven, and a very young Pauline Quirk. It's nice to own it and it's kind of a cult prog.
on 11 October 2016
An old fashioned collection of supernatural stories for children/young adults. I enjoyed it a great deal. For older viewers or those sick of the constant violence, Americentric attitudes and sexual perversion that passes as entertainment today.
on 21 June 2016
Quite disappointing I thought. Not exactly gripping.
on 19 August 2014
very good
on 27 December 2016
Good service but I did not like the series-too tame
on 10 June 2015
Great tv series that doesn't look it's age when you watch it although it takes me back to my youth