VINE VOICEon 17 June 2012
My review of this Sound of Music CD is only for the presentation of the music, and not of the music itself. I only say this in case people get unhappy if they see my review.

I have been keenly following the various releases of the Sound of Music film soundtrack. This album has meant a whole lot to me and started me on my love of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals.

Having said that I feel disappointed with this recent 45th anniversary release. RCA has tended to reissue the soundtrack for every 5-year anniversary of the film. The past reissues were kind to us in including music unavailable to us for a long time.

As far as this 45th anniversary reissue is concerned, it uses the same CD mastering as the 40th anniversary soundtrack. This alone can be a positive because you still get all the song cues arranged in the running order of the film. Admittedly there isn't any noticeable improvement in the sound quality. I note that all releases have used the original RCA LP as a basis when longer versions of certain songs (such as the Processional and the Salzburg Festival reprise of Edelweiss) are available and could have been used instead. Also, we don't get much in the way of extras - except for Lea Michelle's rendition of My Favourite Things. I would have hoped that the R&H Organisation and 20th Century Fox would have ganged up to put out a complete twin-disc treatment of the soundtrack with all song cues and all underscoring. Interestingly enough, Fox lent all the original masters - including the 6-channel music masters - to the people who did the Blu-Ray, and one wonders why they didn't do a new stereo mix of the music and vocals for release as a CD.

I know that this release is meant for the mainstream casual fans who just want a copy of the Sound of Music soundtrack. However, one wonders when Sound of Music - and the other R&H film musicals - will be given soundtrack reissue treatments similar to the Wizard of Oz twin-disc soundtrack and even the complete score treatments accorded to Cleopatra, the three Lord of the Rings films and the Star Wars Classic Trilogy. There are people - myself included - who would like to hear Kostal's marvellous underscoring that links the songs together. The love scene for Maria and the Captain is a miracle. Kostal interweaves the Sound of Music theme song, Edelweiss, My Favourite Things and Something Good in the lead-up to that song.

For those who haven't got a copy of the CD, go ahead and pick this release up. For those who own the 40th anniversary release, hold on to it. I'm sure that someone will put out a proper Sound of Music soundtrack some day.
on 20 July 2009
Looking at the track listing here it doesn't appear to the be Original film Soundtrack recording that I have on vinyl from 1965.

'Sixteen Going on Seventeen' - is listed as being sung by Charmian Carr & Dan Truhitte. What has happened to the version by Nicholas Hammond who appeared in the film?

Similary 'Something Good' is billed as Julie Andrews & Bill Lee. Julie sang this with Christopher Plummer in the original.

Can anyone shed any light on this before I make a purchase?
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 January 2016
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

My version is the 2004 soundtrack that hadn’t been released in the UK at that particular time, so I got with a friend of mine who lives over in America to get it for me and to send it. Also this version had 27 tracks on it. :-)

The booklet you get contains a long article about the musical which is very interesting and they also include some lovely still photos from the film. :-)

The composers the late and great Richard Rodgers with lyrics by late and great Oscar Hammerstein II.

These two are my favourite composers for musicals, (have been since the early 1970’s). :-)

They’ve written some lovely melodies for this film. :-)

It’s fantastic to hear the cast of the movie, not only were they great actors they also did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

If you were to ask me did I have a favourite, I’d have to say yes, (even though I love the entire soundtrack), it’s “Something Good”.

I can highly recommend this CD to the fans of the film and anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
on 12 March 2014
I was planning on downloading the OST of the movie and burn it to a CD as a Christmas gift for my mother, who adores that movie.
But it didn't feel right. When she persuaded me to watch the movie for the first time with her, it just blew me away. The Sound of Music can make even the cruelest guy cry, even a little bit.
The soundtrack is nothing less than excellent. All the songs from the movie with very good sound quality are guaranteed to take you back to the Von Trapp estate and the blooming hills of Austria.

If you are a fan of this great movie or if you just want to take your mind off things, this soundtrack will move you and make you say that it is one of your "Favorite Things".
on 9 March 2018
ALLLLLL the songs, plus lyrics!!!! Fantastic CD, just slightly baffled by extra track 'My favourite things' sung by Lea Michele (no idea who she is), not keen on her version.
on 29 October 2016
Brilliant! Introduced my 7 year old to the film and then HAD to buy the soundtrack so we can all singalong at home and in the car! Read lots of reviews as so many compilations to choose from. LOVE this version as the songs are straight from the film!
on 7 September 2016
Apart from the songs being the original artists, they are sung in the order that they are sung in the film. I like this idea as you can imagine the scenes as you listen to the songs. Excellent DVD and would recommend it to The Sound Of Music fans.
on 14 March 2018
Bought for my mum - great price - prompt delivery and condition as described - many thanks !!
on 20 March 2018
This soundtrack is ageless - the lyrics live on eternally. Always worth having.
on 8 December 2017
The postal delivery was excellent - it came in good time. However, although the CD starts off fine, the quality of the last few tracks is terrible - full of jumps and crackles which make it impossible to listen to. I guess the record it was transferred from was scratched and this has affected the quality of the CD.