Customer reviews

on 18 July 2017
This book not only teaches you things you were not aware of but Oswald Chambers also reminds you of things you may have forgot. It quotes certain passages from the bible, which is great because we don't all know every word from the bible. And it also explains what Jesus meant by it. I remember reading the bible at school and I never really understood it. Now I am older I do understand and Chambers really helps describe how we can apply it to our own lives.

It is a hard read, remember it was written a long time ago so the lanaguage isn't as easy as a book you would pick up today.

They have a page for each day, which I think is truly beautiful and inspiring. Sometimes you need a daily pick me up. This is the book for you.

If you do not believe in God and are not Catholic or Christian this book isn't for you.

Hope this helps
on 16 October 2012
I have, on many occasions, bought a "daily readings" book with the intention of using it!

Praises to God that this book was recommended to me a few months ago!

Oswald Chambers challenges us, daily, to turn to Jesus, our Saviour, the Lamb of God - to turn away from the understanding of "the world" and to turn to what appears as "foolishness" to the world. The depth of these readings is like refreshing, living water to the Spirit and it is a wonderful way to begin each day anew - in deep thought and ponderance with the Lord.

I could happily spend a week rather than a day with each reading.
on 22 April 2011
Well, firstly the book itself (rather than the words). This is a lovely book - the leather or leather effect is beautiful and the stitching very nice. It's a book you'll treasure for years.

The space for the notes of your own is good though I must admit I haven't used it much myself; that was clearly a little ambitious! If you won't use that, buy the non-journal version of course.

As for the writing, well, what can I say?! The wording can be a bit more obscure at times, almost King James like, if not quite that difficult. It does mean that you need more concentration than some other daily readings though so bear this in mind; it's not everyone's cup of tea. That said, the messages themselves are fantastic; very powerful and often challenging. They will challenge you in areas of your lives and make you question your own walk and how devoted you are or aren't. Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing and if you are open minded and wanting to follow Jesus with all your heart, then this book is an excellent manual for doing that.

As a daily reading, subject to the language point above, get it. As for the journal versus normal version, well that's personal preference of course.
on 11 August 2017
I have been reading My Utmost... since the mid-eighties and still find each day's entry thought-provoking and challenging. The teachings are often quite stern and the language can sometimes be a little difficult (although there is a more up to date version available), but the Holy Spirit spoke through Oswald Chambers in such a powerful way, that we would do well to take notice and apply the teachings to our lives. I have other books of his but this is one book that I would never be without. God's truths are the same today as they were when this book was written.
on 30 March 2009
Nearly every time I open this book up I am astonished at Oswald Chambers understanding and teaching. I think one of the most valuable lessons he addresses in many different (and valid) ways is our 'relationship' with God. Not our works or our ministries or our tithing or.. or.. or .... These things are right and valid but should spring from our relationship with Jesus himself.

I find myself excited and scared of what I might read every time I open it. It has helped me newly identify and also remind me of what really is important and has opened up my eyes and life to a whole new understanding of the Christian Life, which has in part, led me into a more tangible, deeper and exciting relationship with God.

The leatherbound version is beautifully presented in a tasteful artistic two-tone/tan design and made a lovely gift for my friends 40th. (I already have my own copy.)
on 9 August 2017
Oswald Chambers was holy man in the true sense of the word. Bought these as parting-gifts for people moving overseas. I've used this teaching for many years and always find it uplifting, challenging and edifying.
on 6 April 2013
What can I usefully say about this marvellous collection of daily readings. Oswald Chambers has the ability to challenge, encourage and cause us to think more deeply about the important things in life, like what Jesus and the writers of the Gospels intended that we should know. It challenges misconceptions, makes us uncomfortable when we need to be and basically says it like it is. I am grateful to him and especially to God for the gift of him.
He is as important to our understanding as C S Lewis, St Paul and the Gospel writers to mention a tiny few. It's a book too good to keep to oneself so I bought one each for my daughters who have found it as helpful as we have. Just love it. I have just started reading it again, it always comes as fresh as when Im first had my copy which was a gift.
on 23 December 2009
I read My Utmost for His Highest daily. I find it both inspiring and challenging. It has blessed me enormously and I am strongly aware of God's anointing on Oswald Chambers words. I thoroughally recommend buying a copy. I have just bought the special edition soft touch cover version as a Christmas present for a friend. It has index at the back which is topic related. It arrived in 2 days (first class) and then I promptly bought another copy for my dad!
on 25 June 2014
This book is, in my opinion, a must have in everyone's book case. I've learned so much from this writer, who certainly knows how to make a person think. Very informative and a joy to read, especially if you like thought-provoking writtings. I personally think all christians should have this writter's books - this being a brilliant choice.
on 15 October 2013
This book has been so encouraging for christian walk. Oswald reminds us... being a christian is about Honoring God not ourselves. Very inspired that Oswald Chambers devotions are still so very relevant in 2013.
Would recommend it to those who want to follow the teaching of Jesus Christ.
Love it!