on 11 March 2011
The product decription poses several questions, which led me to believe they would be answered in the book. "What is it like to wait on Death row for years, can you build relationships in that harsh environment?" Apart from the introduction,which posed more questions,the book failed to answer any of these questions,or even attempt to address these issues.
Instead we are given the 'cold' facts that have been recounted in numerous books(he must have read'Serial Killers'by William Murray) not always accurately;in the Timothy McVeigh chapter he at first relates him spending the rest of his days in a Federal Institution and subsequently how he was executed.
Reading the book hoping to gain some insight into the mind of those sentenced to death(specifically the innocent),I was none the wiser after I had read it. I felt that a precis of each case leading up to their death sentence would have been sufficient, and more research done into the suffering(or otherwise) and conditions of death row inmates that the title and pre-amble suggested.
All in all,it did not do what it said on the tin.
on 27 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book as I like reading about true crime. It's interesting to read how people of all walks of life turn to all types of crime for various reasons, whether it be for money, status or for no reason at all.
on 17 February 2014
Interesting book but not what I expected. Thought it would be about peiople on Death Row still living abut it was about various convicted prisoners and how they died.
on 18 July 2017
Interesting read but got quite far in n noticed the rest of a chapter was missing quite near the end of it.
Angered me no end n the book got binned.
on 5 March 2014
I found quotations from letters very irritating in their presentation and there are some editing errors. An interesting account overall.
on 25 August 2014
it's ok but doesn't go into too much detail about the individuals, just gives the basics
on 8 January 2013
I really enjoyed this after recommended by a friend. Hard to put down and full of bits I did not know.
I was expecting thoughts of what it's like to be on Death Row though which the book did not contain.
on 24 February 2013
I liked this book it has been very well written and very well explained. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 28 February 2013
Boring book covers a lot of ground that has already been raked over by true crime books in the past
on 1 August 2014
Not the most riveting book I have read, but it is certainly worth reading. some horrific tales which keep you at it!!!