Customer reviews

on 5 July 2010
As I Clark says in his review, the Adderley Quintet was one of the sounds of the sixties and I loved them then but hadn't listened to any of their discs (I had a lot on LP) for years. But I recently bought this on CD and it really is superb. Cannonball is the star of the band, but Bobby Timmons is great on this session and Louis Hayes, as always, swings like the proverbial.

The standout track, introduced by Cannonball in one of his beautifully rambling intros ("You know what I mean, you know what I mean?"), is This Here - or rather Dis Here, he explains, for "reasons of soul and description." His own solo is great, but the outstanding effort for me is Timmons'. The 'soul' thing was sometimes a bit bogus but not here, and Timmons' rolling, two-handed solo is terrifically exciting. The whole thing is driven on by Hayes's superb drumming: he didn't always play triplets on his ride cymbal but single beats, with the drumstick describing a circular motion that I haven't seen employed by anyone else. The track is in 3/4, but the way they even out the time drives it on brilliantly. I played the middle bit to my wife and asked her what the time signature was; 4/4, obviously, she said, and she refused to believe me when I said it was in waltz time.

The sleeve note has a hilarious description of the occasion when Shostakovich went to hear the band and sat attentively listening, but afterwards made no comment whatsoever. At times, it says, "the atmosphere resembled a church as much as a jazz club [and] the whole place would start rocking and stomping with the band." The Russian contingent, however, sat there not moving a muscle in time with the band. How could they have done it? Even listening at home on CD, insulated by medium and 50 years' distance the band makes me want to get up and dance. And Stalin was dead already!
on 6 November 2009
Superb soulful jazz with the good natured sounds of Cannon's group. One of the sounds of the sixties that was an iconic 'must' for so many of us, it's impact is as strong now.