Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 January 2011
This is captivating and magical. Even though I have every tune on other compilations, I simply had to buy it. It brought me awesome memories of seeing Cochran and Vincent on tour and of course, you can never have enough of Charlie Feathers or Johnny Burnette. Ignore the neighbours, turn up the volume and ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 September 2011
I can't see too many reasons to buy this apart from the presence of:

- four of Presley's best in "That's all right", "Blue Moon of Kentucky", "I don't care if the sun don't shine" and "Good rockin' tonight"
- three of Charlie Feathers' best in "Tongue Tied Jill", "Get with it" and "Everybody's lovin' my baby"
- two of Carl Perkins' best in "Honey Don't" and "Matchbox" - "Dixie Fried" doesn't quite match up to these but it's still pretty good
- two great Mac Curtis tracks from his King period
- four from the Johnny Burnette Trio - do I need to say more about these?
- Jack Scott's "Leroy" plus another from the great man
- a couple of very nice early Eddie Cochran's
- Gene's classic "Blue Jean Bop
- both of the "big O"'s classic early Sun rockers
- other neat Sun stuff like "Red Cadillac and a black moustache", "Red Headed Woman", "Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll", "Get Rhythm" and "We Wanna Boogie"
- lots of great one-offs like "Three Alley Cats", "Jungle Rock", "No, no, baby" and the fantastic "Boppin' High School Baby"
- and a few other more than decent ones scattered in between

The word "classic" comes to mind quite frequently when going down this list....
on 13 December 2011
If you're fed up with the usual party mix - Dancing Queen, YMCA, Hi Ho Silver Lining, same old same old - you need a copy of this. Your audience may not have heard many of these tracks before unless they're afficianados of the genre, but you can rest assured that if you want toes to tap at your party, this is a surefire soundtrack to that objective; from start to finish too! Everyone knows Elvis and Eddie Cochran of course, most know Johnny Burnette and Carl Perkins too, but there is so much more than just the big names who made it primarily as rock 'n' roll's innovators. Charlie Feathers and Mac Curtis are prime examples of the sadly neglected (in Britain at least), and some barely register a Wikipedia entry. But every one deserves a place on here.

The best thing for me personally was my introduction to the rip it up sound of Sonny Burgess who just makes you want to go back in time and go crazy in the dancehall. We Wanna Dance is a classic, a distinctly American sound of the 50s, but with roots that go back to the 20s, and still manage to be evocative of what the Stray Cats would bring as part of the rockabilly revival of the late 70s.

If you're looking for Dylanesque lyrics or ten minute long psychedelic swirling keyboard trips, you've come to the wrong place for sure here. The lyrics are simple, even slightly silly or downright childish in one or two cases, but this is music for hearing and reacting, not listening and musing. Fifty funpacked tracks that, even if you can't name all the artists, you'll still find yourself coming back to this time and again.
on 3 May 2012
For the person who is fairly new to Rockabilly, or an old timer who just wants all these great tunes in one easy package, this constitutes an excellent compilation. Everything (including the CD case artwork) is outstanding, except.... where is Jerry Lee Lewis? I just don't get how "The Killer" gets left out of a compilation like this. Three quarters of the "Million Dollar Quartet" are represented here (Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash). Even Roy Orbison is on this collection. But Jerry is no where to be seen. Who knows... maybe its a contractual thing. Anyway, this one gets 5 stars from me (even without Jerry Lee). Highly recommended.
on 13 July 2011
The majority are standard classic rockabilly from J Burnette,Carl Perkins, Elvis et al but nicely put together.Great version of Rakin and Scrapin by Dean Beard .Recommended
on 2 June 2015
Sorry, but this is not for me. Although I like Rockabilly and always have done since my teenage years, I guess my tastes have changed over the years. Understand , there is nothing wrong with the album, it is just me.
on 3 July 2012
PURCHASED THIS CD IT IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT,I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE BEST AROUND, AND FOR THE PRICE WHAT CAN I SAY.
on 10 August 2011
I love music - all sorts- and thought I'd try rockabilly. What a suprise this compilation and its companion, Real Raw Rockabilly are amazing. Both CDs on each are consistently full of great tunes. There was me thinking old rock and roll might be a bit boring - wrong!

And for the money you can go wrong
on 1 January 2012
An excellent compilation of some well known classics and some more obscure tracks. A great purchase, I will be purchasing more of this collection in the near future!
on 16 September 2011
Good collection of music but there are better out there. Contains all the usual suspects so would start someones collection but if you like the more obscure tracks that you don't hear regularily then this is not for you.