on 1 March 2017
This is a neat little product, and does what it says on the tin. Solid construction, it seems, as one would expect from a Roberts product. Strange thing is, though, that used in combo with my Roberts DAB radio, the volume isn't quite high enough - even with the radio set at maximum. I spend more of the night straining to hear what I'm trying to listen to than drifting blissfully off to sleep. Which obviously kind of negates the desired effect. However, last night, I had a flash of inspiration. I have a little Fiio amplifier which I use when out and about with my iPod Classic to overcome the volume restrictions on that particular device while enduring the ambient cacophony that is London. Bingo. Plugged that in-line between the radio and the speaker... YAY!

All this is the fault of the radio itself, probably (Roberts iDream), the maximum volume just isn't sufficient through the headphone jack. Never had to worry about this until I moved in with the partner last year. Ho hum.
on 18 December 2015
Awful, plays the sound louder sideways rather than towards the ear of the person using. My girlfriend can hear it louder on lying next to me than me with it under my head. Used three times and never again. Waste of £10. do not buy
on 28 June 2016
My partner likes to listen to the radio at night - and I don't - so this is the perfect solution. This speaker is much more robust than others on the market, so it's worth the additional cost (still not that dear). Best thing is - my partner can hear the radio...but I cannot (previous 'cheaper' under pillow speakers did not come up to scratch on either front).
on 12 September 2016
great to use when alone, but if you are on holiday and share the room with a snorer, you will need either something with a higher volume output, or a big mallet to whack them over the head.
on 7 June 2017
I won't be the only half of a couple where the better half's delight in waking to radio 4's sniping and arguing is not a shared enthusiasm: I need at least a little breakfast first. I "solved" this rude awakening by getting a Pillow Talk speaker for the better half and then, about a year later realised that I not only was listening to relatively blissful silence every morning but I was equally not listening to the rowdy rubbish which would cheer up the morning a little more - just so that I didn't interrupt Little Boy Blue's morning snipefest. I got one for myself and now we ignore each other equally until brains are functioning. Perfect.

Two observations: 1. You need to have a headphone socket on your radio! 2. The volume needs to be higher through the headphones than when through the speaker - I imagine that will depend on the radio/radio alarmclock and the pillow/pillows that you use.
on 16 June 2017
I am rubbish at sleeping. Really rubbish. And so I use this under-pillow speaker a few times a night to try to get me back to sleep. It has a standard audio jack so plugs into my phone or iPad or computer, so I can listen to the radio or podcasts (or even my Paul McKenna "I Can Make You Sleep" CD if I get desperate). And all without my husband being able to hear anything.

It's also a great idea to use one of these if you have to stay in a hospital ward, as you can listen to your own stuff and drown out other noises without disturbing the other patients.

The wire flex is also a good length, so if my iPad is being charged nearby or if I'm playing a CD from my laptop, the speaker will stretch down to reach them without having to sleep with a cold/heavy computer on my bed.

The only downside is that I use it so much that the flex eventually gets damaged, so I have to replace it every two or three years. But when I think of 'cost per use', it is definitely worth it.

This is one of my most-used items, and honestly improves the quality of my life!!
on 22 March 2017
Extremely quiet at maximum volume, and completely silent when placed under a single pillow.
Returned to Amazon for a replacement, and the replacement was exactly the same.
Does this item require batteries or something. I don't understand how it can be so quiet.
on 22 November 2016
My husband loves this pillow speaker and takes it with him when he travels for work. He has trouble sleeping due to time changes and need something that can help him relax. Very happy indeed with this product, no complaints.
on 23 April 2016
This is a very good product.
Sound is as good, not as good as earphones but for an under pillow speaker it is fit for purpose.

It will fit ANY audio devise that has a 3.5mm headphone socket.
It does NOT need batteries.
on 11 May 2017
Not sure I really need this, but it is a fun extra which may save your hearing rather than wearing earphones when half asleep. Will be interested in seeing how much I actually use it as it is a bit of an experiment. Delivered swiftly from Germany.