Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 26 September 2013
I could not find this book in the shops, and wanted to read more of the Fairacre series. The book itself was in excellent condition, don't think it had even been read. Have read it twice already!

I find the stories by Miss Read are very soothing, good bedtime reading, when you want to relax, and the detail in describing the various plants, trees and their various fruits excellent, including what they should be doing and when.

Some of the descriptions of school life remind me of my own days in Primary School.
on 19 February 2015
The trials and tribulations of a very good headmistress of a village school, worried about the possibility of closure. A former teacher leaves Miss Read her cottage, and the village school house is put up for sale. A gentle story of country people. Charming.
on 27 October 2013
I have enjoyed every one of the twelve
Fairacre books I have thus far bought.
Easy reading, interesting, humourous and
at times poignant. Don't know what I'm
going to do when I've finished "A peaceful
Retirement"!
on 6 September 2013
Another excellent read! I love all the titles by Miss Read and hope to go through the whole series thanks
on 19 August 2012
I love all the Miss Read books. I first found them in the school library and then picked them up again when I started to take my children to the public library,so I have enjoyed them over many years. Now that I have the kindle, I buy the next one as soon as the current one is finished. The stories concern village life and in particular the works of a country school. I have lived in the country for a short time, taught very briefly in village schools during my training and then continued to teach in city primaries for a further 40 years! I relate to so many of the happenings in the stories and they also bring back memories of when I first started teaching. I am a devoted fan of Miss Read and hope that the kindle add a few more to their list as some have not yet become available.
on 15 September 2014
The books of Miss Read never fail to please. I love her storylines, her picture in words of the world around her, and her sharp observations of her characters. Another lovely story.
on 18 October 2010
Evocative of my childhood and bringing all the memories back, each detail exact. Lovely read and recommend the WHOLE series and then onto Thrush Green.
on 30 January 2016
I read this book long ago and enjoyed it so much. I was brought up in a similar village in Kent and it brought back all the things I remember about it! So gentle and kindly ,like a warm bath.
on 13 October 2013
The usual charming pleasant read from miss read. Although I enjoyed it I did wonder once or twice which decade we were in. I've always thought these books were timeless but maybe this book is more 1960s (when times were changing).
on 18 November 2014
Not nearly as good as her first three books published in the 50s. There are many charming moments that are inspired but overall is rather dull and pedestrian.