Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 March 2011
As soon as I saw a trailer for this film, I really wanted to see it. I'm not much of a baby person but I just thought it looked fabulously funny. Luckily, I was right.

Life As We Know it stars Katherine Heigl as Holly and Josh Duhamel as Messer. Once upon a time their best friends tried to set them up on a date. It went hideously wrong and they've disliked each other ever since. Only having to put up with each other at get-togethers, they manage. That is until a tragedy leaves their goddaughter, Sophie, an orphan. Naturally, Holly and Messer are devastated at the loss of their friends, but they're also shocked to find out that the two of them have been named as joint guardians of the little girl.

Somehow, they've got to muddle through parenthood and living together; juggling their jobs and nappies while trying to keep Sophie's life as normal as possible. It makes for an absolutely hilarious film and one that I'd urge chick flick fans to watch. It's funny, but you'll also need tissues at times, so be warned!

It won't be making it onto my top films of all time list, but it's definitely worth a watch.
on 19 January 2011
Not just any romcom this was funny and heart warming (with some sadder moments). Obviously not the film for those who love action, but this film was well written, with some mildly intelligent plot lines and touches. I thought it was well acted on the whole, even when not totally believable (all though the main characters were all very convincing) all of the actors were very funny. Definite recommendation - it provokes an interesting subject and I have found myself thinking about the story line since.
on 24 November 2010
Okay so sure, this film won't be winning any Oscar's but that's not the intention behind the story. While watching this I saw that it was more than just your typical Romcom and I am happy to say that this film has depth. Don't get me wrong it's no American Beauty but it certainly isn't your typical Saturday night comedy. It is heartfelt accompanied by a brilliant soundtrack and an amazing cast (the ever so good looking team Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel are distracting!) but I am happy to say that it will be a proud member of my DVD collection... do yourself a favor and add to your basket now!
on 16 April 2011
As a lover of rom-coms this is certainly in my top 5! Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel play their lead roles brilliantly and make the film so believable. The comedy aspect of 'Life As We Know It' is of a high standard and had me giggling every time I watched it and, unlike many rom-coms, the plot (although quite predictable) has depth and keeps you as the viewer hooked throughout.
I would seriously recommend this film to any rom-com lovers and/or fans of Katherine Heigl as she plays her role fantastically and it is certainly another 5-star film to add to her own repertoire!
'Life As We Know It' is in my dvd collection and should certainly be a part of yours too :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2016
"Life As We Know It" isn't my normal kind of film - I'm not usually drawn in by families and babies. But the trailer looked hilarious so I gave it a go. I'm really pleased I did.

Holly and Eric are NOT a couple. In fact, they've got hating each other down pretty good. But, life hands you lemons sometimes and baby Sophie is that such lemon for them. When their mutual best friends are tragically killed in an accident, they leave their baby Sophie in the not-so-capable hands of Holly and Eric. Plunged together in the worst kind of circumstance, the pair must figure out how to be good parents.

I didn't expect to like this at all. But it was so much fun. I loved how parenting was portrayed - trying to get your child to eat, learning the different faces they pull (the poop face was my favourite moment of this film), waiting forever for them to take their first steps, putting up with terrible toddler TV, and all whilst trying not to kill the person helping you raise the child. I loved it. I'm not even a parent, and I thought it was hilarious!

This is a predictable movie, it's plain to see where it's going to go, but the two contrasting characters of Holly (the single businesswoman) and Eric (the non-committal player) works really well together to keep you interested. Both actors do a fantastic job and were genuinely funny.

I definitely recommend this - it's not just for families. It's for people looking for feel-good humour with a side of baby poop!
on 21 August 2016
The rules of 'rom com' are well established and it's fair to say that Life As We Know It doesn't break any of those rules. Everybody gets to live in fabulous expensive houses (this one is particularly lovely), the protagonists all have enviable careers, they have to start out hating each other, then fall for each other, then fall out and then.......well you know how it goes. As the genre goes, this is very typical, better than many, worse than some and there are zero surprises along the way. But the baby is cute, the supporting cast - especially Melissa McCarthy and the woman who plays the social worker - are very good. There's nothing to not like about this film but you'd not want to watch it twice and I wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't free with Amazon Prime.
Holly'(Katherine Heigi) and 'Eric'(Josh Duhamel) had already been set up for a date by close friends, the date ? well it just didn't happen as they take an almost instant dislike for each-other.
So, when, the same friends that had set them up are killed in a road accident . 'Holly' and 'Eric' are bemused as to why they had been named as baby 'Sarah's' guardians along with being left the 'fine' home to bring the tragic couples child up in.
Well, neither have a clue about looking after a child, so both were on a steep learning curb.
The two still don't really get on and try to pursue both their social and career ambitions as before while caring for baby 'Sarah'
Both 'Holly' and 'Eric; soon love and care for 'Sarah' however neither could see the obvious, their friends and babysitter however could.
This is a predictable but charming tale which obviously has all the ingredients for the laugh-out-loud comedy that shines throughout the film, also has one or two touching moments which added together gives great entertainment value.
Lets face it, most of us are godparents, some to multiple children and so do we ever think of the implications of that responsibility ? probably not.

This film whilst not only being romantic and at times very funny and sad, does give you an idea of what would happen if the parents of one of your godchildren died. Would you step up to the plate like this couple did or not?

That for me was the absolute best part of this story, how 2 very single and independent people decide to put their lives on hold to become full time parents to this little girl.

Not only was it very beautifully written, but it was heart-wrenching and heart-warming all at the same time, and i thought Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel were both fantastic in their roles.

Now this film has gathered a lot of rather negative votes, not just on here, but on imdb but personally i dont think its justified.

Romantic comedies are exactly what they say on the tin, made for women not men, lets face it, you say to your other half i want to watch a romcom and he will groan at you and say do i have too ?

Most women will however love it, and i found it entertaining and a great way to spend a saturday night, curled up on the sofa with your chocolate.

It will make you cry though, so dont forget your kleenex..
MY THOUGHTS: Life as we Know It comes as a surprising romantic comedy with some serious notes and some moving scenes that will leave you perhaps sniffling or grabbing for a tissue. While the premise as per usual is somewhat unrealistic and obviously cliche and predictable, it still is entertaining enough to hold you to the TV for the run time. Josh Duhammel here gives a surprising performance that is very touching while not being overly camp, while Katherine Heigl, as usual manages to steal the show with a strong independence her characters always seem to carry.

THE PLOT: Holly and Messer are set on a blind date by their mutual best friends only to discover that not only are they not compatable, but they can't even get along. When tragedy strikes unexpectedly years later, Holly and Messer discover that they are to be given what could possibly be life long custody of Sophie, the daughter of their best friends who have recently died in a car wreck. Their dismay is even furthered by the revelation that they are to raise Sophie TOGETHER.

With no experience of babies, no plans to have ever settled down, especially not together, Holly and Messer force themselves to make an effort to try and slide into the lives of their friends and fill some very big shoes to help bring up the orphaned Sophie, discovering that parenthood is harder than it seemed and that their relationship may be pushed to the limit, and the plans for their lives may have to be put on hold.

One thing is certain, is that their friends have chosen Holly and Messer to raise the child together for a reason, but the problem for them is trying to determine exactly what that reason is and to accept the fate that has landed in their laps.
on 1 March 2015
I am not a rom-com fan and not a Catherine Heigl fan either. I found the story interesting and decided to watch this film. It's not your typical rom-com but not a drama either. The film is quite balanced and the story keeps you interested. Definitely worth a watch and won't waste your time.