on 24 November 2010
Just in time for the Christmas market, this five-disc set is crammed with all the classic you know and love, and should provide the perfect soundtrack to you festive parties in the coming weeks.
Disc 1 includes Tiffany, Simple Minds, Alison Moyet, Bowie and Danny Wilson, while the second disc gives us diverse artists including Rick Astley, Billy Idol, Prefab Sprout, Talking Heads and Jane Wiedlin.
Journey's - Don't Stop Believing is one of the eye catchers on Disc 3 along with other Americans including Tina Turner, REM, Hall & Oates, Ashford & Simpson, and the newly reformed Cars.
Disc 4 has the brilliant `Chequered Love' and `I Want That Man' as well as contributions from Cliff Richard, Erasure, and Kenny Loggins to name but a few, while the final disc kicks off with A-ha, and gives us China Crisis, OMD, Fun Boy Three, Morrissey, and bringing it right up to the end of the decade with Soul II Soul.
You may have a lot of this material already, but it was lovely to hear tracks like `Rhythm of The Night', Bette Davis Eyes, Let's Go All The Way, that don't get played on radio that often. The Alarm's '68 Guns' is one I haven't heard in over two decades, as well as the great Jona Lewie track 'Kitchen At Parties' which is enjoying a second coming thanks to TV advertisement at the minute
While rare tracks are hard to come by here, there's still Modern Girl (Sheena Easton), Sign of The Times (Belle Stars), Whatever I Do (Hazel Dean), Body Rock (Maria Vidal) and Imagination from Belouis Some to bring you back to the 80s. The essential 80s Christmas stocking filler.
on 1 March 2011
bought this for £4.24 so a bargain price,some great songs on it.however not all good news.the sound is absolutely awful!!the first disc some tracks are recorded at different levels so i had to constantly turn the volume up and down.the rest of the discs just don't sound good.if you can forgive the sound quality it really is a great album,just don't expect digital remastering.
on 11 February 2011
This collection is very good value. I bought it as background music to play in the car - and for this use, it is just right. If you were also a teenager in the early 1980s you will recognize and probably be able to sing along to almost the whole collection. The name 'anthems' however, is rather stretching the truth. Many classic 80s songs are notable by their absence. In this collection are numerous artists who had huge hits but we are treated to one of their 'other' lesser hits. This is not necessarily a bad thing but this collection won't have you leaping out of the chair whooping with joy. It is still a pleasant trip down memory lane with several really good songs but is not a classic collection or worthy of the title 'anthems'.
on 18 April 2013
I love 80s music. I did not buy this CD for myself but I received it from a friend, as a gift. I thought, "great, another 80s CD"....until I looked at the tracklisting. I was very disappointed with this. It is almost an exact copy of another 80s CD with a similar title, called 101 80s Hits. Most of the tracks on this album are the same as the other album, with some exceptions but not many. There are simply too many repeats and too much of the same old, same old that is usually the main problem with this type of album. I wish that whoever compiles these albums would spend some money on some new tracks, or just use some imagination when they put these albums together, because it is always the same songs. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad album, but I can only really recommend it if this is your first 80s album, or if you don't have many of these albums. If you already own countless 80s albums, as I do, then there is really nothing here that you probably haven't already got. It really is a shame, because it is another wasted chance to produce what could have been a good album. Only three stars from me.
on 5 June 2011
For this price you cannot go wrong, much cheaper than ITunes. Their are plenty records here that will bring a nostalgic smile to anyone brought up in the 80s. I did have some problems with the Amazon downloader. but after extracting to my usual player, all was well.
on 5 August 2013
Bought this with other compilations so I can listen to a genre of music whilst running rather than skipping through rock, dance, metal, hip-hop and totally ruining my stride pattern.
This has an awful lot of cheese in it but it reminds of my youth and a lot of the tunes put a smile on my face.
on 21 February 2011
Excellent album, could've possibly had some of the more popular songs by the artist, but overall a great tribute to a great era of feelgood music
on 28 September 2012
More nostalgia, I enjoy this so much. 101 anthems and I sing along to every one of them. When they invent a time machine I am going back to the eighties to see everyone of these performed live.
on 27 September 2014
This has something 80s for everyone, every disc possibly has a surprise track you may have forgotten!?

Love and Pride would be the only track, off hand, that I think is missing!
on 7 January 2011
This is a great album to put on shuffle and have in the background, yes as with all collections there are dodgy tracks but hardly any on this one. A must have for all that enjoy 80's music