Customer reviews

Flowers in the Blood
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 29 June 2016
A powerful read and a fascinating insight into the 19th Century opium trade industry and Indian Jewry. One of the best historical fictions that I've read.
on 21 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It keeps your interest from the opening lines to the very end. A dark secret lies within this descriptive book which the protagonist is unaware of until she has grown up. The book takes you through her life with lots of twists and turns and you are never short of wondering what else could possibly happen. A thoroughly great read which I would highly recommend.
on 22 May 2013
I find it difficult to pick a really good read. I like quirky, interesting books based more in fact tan fiction. If there's a bit of history thrown in, all the better. I also like to try different authors. So, for me,
Flowers in the Blood, ticks all those boxes. Dinah is a woman in a man's world. Her story is believable and her family is made up of characters recognisable in most families. I really loved this book.
on 30 October 2016
good story, well told...very dramatic and entertaining, informative and gripping...perfect vacation read, especually if you are going to india.
on 13 November 2013
I loved the first part of this story a page turner however the middle was too many facts and details that I felt I was in a class!! The second part wasn't as good as the first but a better read after all the heavy detail I ploughed through where I nearly didn't bother to finish it.
on 6 March 2013
Not often that a book like this comes along - Impossible to put down as you are transposed into another time, another world. So sensitively and cleverly written that you truly step into the shoes of the main character, Dinah Sassoon and experience a very privileged life in 19th century India, gaining an insight into family dynamics, politics and the opium business. From the very beginning Dinah's life is built on the profits of the opium trade, and yet devastated by it, and we see her transformed from a girl whose life is arranged, managed and manipulated to an educated and intuitive woman who takes control.
on 15 July 2014
I learned a lot about the customs of the Jews of India at the time and also about the Opium trade. Both very interesting aspects of a beautifully written book.
on 10 January 2013
very long but fascinating book on the history of the Heroin industry in India and China and the personal stories that go with it which describes the hypocrosy between profit and the morals of selling highly addictive drugs
on 30 December 2013
I enjoyed every page of this story, it was slow in parts but a wonderful story and most enjoyable through to the end.
on 12 November 2012
A really great read. It gave one a really good idea of the history of the Jews in India in the 1800's with a compelling story line. I would really recommend this super book. I couldn't put it down!