on 14 August 2014
I have been a Douglas Coupland fan since my teens and some of his books are so beautifully written. Lately they have lost a lot of his style but this is unbelievably bad. I had to double check that it was actually by him and was very very tempted to just quit reading it. It's as if he decided he should do a bad impersonation of an Irvine Welsh character. Rude, offensive and just plain stupid. It's as if he got pissed off with his publishers and decided to throw a bunch of bizarre and stupid events onto the page. I'm afraid this will be the last Coupland book I'll ever buy. Sad.
on 19 December 2014
If this didn't have Douglas Coupland on the front then you would not think he had wrote it. As a huge fan of Douglas Coupland this books feels like he dictated a rough idea for a book to another author to write the book for him. Do not get me wrong though, this is a good read. The plot is about Raymond Gunt, a camera-man who is given an assignment by his ex-wife to work on a survivor style show in a far away tropical Island. Most of the book is about his eventful journey to this island and ends with him fleeing the island after being blamed for starting an international nuclear crisis. He is portrayed as an awful human being but it is hard to not feel sympathy for him as he staggers from one humiliation to the next.
Overall it is a good read but probably not going to be remembered as one of his best. Douglas Coupland seems to be moving away from novel writing to his first love of visual arts. If this book is his last then I feel it would be an insult to his many fans.
on 22 October 2015
This is awful. I always enjoyed Coupland. The plot was never much but he was a stylist. I say was. This is entirely lacking style. It is not ironic, it is a litany of fart jokes. To point out that many Americans find swearing offensive does not make it funny that swearing and scatography is about all there is.
I always thought that he had an ear for his world, but when I hear what he does in mine, his supposed London media types, he has no ear at all. It chimes like a wooden bell. Some of the reviews mentioned laughing out loud. I find it hard to believe. I didn't have a slight positive lip twitch or a mild inward smirk. It reads like a self-published 49p debut that would go no further. Goodbye Douglas, it was fun up until now.
on 2 November 2013
I love Douglas Coupland's older books but have been sorely disappointed by his recent publications.
This is closer to the humour and observation of his older books with plenty of ridiculous, but it still feels like he's fallen out of love with the world.
The language was so strong that I almost gave up about a chapter in, but after reading another (miserable) book, came back and finished.
Not great, not terrible. Which is better than the last few books (and no re-use of Jeopardy! categories!).
on 24 June 2016
Priceless. Coupland is one of my favourite authors. Each novel presents a new theme and an entirely new set of characters, but what he's best at is poking fun at contemporary society. I'm about to read this one a second time to get down a few layers. For anyone with experience of the entertainments industry, this one is especially tasty. Warning: The language is bad, I mean, very bad. Worst. Badass. Language. Ever.
on 1 August 2016
Really terrible. I'm hoping that my one star review will force the average star rating down for this book, as three stars seems way too generous to me. The whole thing seemed to be an exercise in gross out "comedy", which in reality reads like the sort of thing a fifteen year old might write out of spite to outrage his parents. Well, outrageous it ain't. It's just bad.
on 5 April 2015
Another fun Douglas Coupland novel, but this one really would have benefited from some judicious editing. A few of the charqcters don't ring true at all, which spols the book. Still, it's generally fun, and like all his stuff, very readable.
on 13 March 2018
Excellent product
on 20 October 2014
i think it was the worst book i have ever read.. I stopped reading after i had read about 50%. A book critic said it was funny and sometimes hilarious. To me it was just crude
on 21 January 2016
Never a dud from Coupland. Every book a winner. Never stop writing, Douglas!