Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more

on 6 July 2011
The second edition of Engage! written by Brian Solis really is a fascinating read. It's full of tools, frameworks interesting case studies and much more besides! It empowers you to develop metrics and KPIs to measure the success of your activities and translate that data into bottom-line benefits. As anyone who has ever tried to champion a social media program within their organisation knows; the first question you are asked is, What's the ROI of social media? This book will help you answer that question. A word of warning though - Engage! is not a book you can pick up and read from cover to cover. Sections of the book are quite dense and academic - but then isn't that what you would expect a Complete Guide to be? At times, reading the book was a bit of a slog and I found myself going back over passages each time I picked it up because there was a lot to absorb. But on the whole, I found it uplifting and insightful, reaffirming many of my preconceptions as to the real power of Social Media - so stick with it. In the words of Brian Solis: "Engage or die."
Engage, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
on 9 May 2014
I’m not going to lie – Brian Solis let me down. He’s a well-respected social media marketer, and I’d heard good things about his book, but I just can’t bring myself to rate it as highly as the books that were released by some of his contemporaries.

The sad fact is that Engage! has aged much more than many other social media marketing books, perhaps because Solis placed too much importance on specific social networks – sure, he does agree that the message is more important than the medium, and some of his lessons in planning and deployment are well worth reading, but his work makes for tedious reading and, to be honest, he doesn’t say anything which hasn’t been said before.

And that’s not to mention the typos – there are a shocking amount of mistakes scattered throughout the pages, more than you see in some self-published works. If you’re the sort of person who isn’t bothered by that then it might not be such a problem, but each time I spotted one it stopped me in my tracks.

In all honesty, though, it’s still a good book – it just pales in comparison to some of the other social media marketing books that are out there, some of which were written earlier and yet have stood up to the test of time. There are lessons to be learned and diagrams to be studied, but you’ll find nothing here that you can’t find online or written about elsewhere, with more aplomb.

Which is a shame, because Solis is a highly competent marketer and a great thinker and doer – he’s just more of a marketer than a writer, and that’s okay. Either way, good marketers seek inspiration everywhere, and when you’ve read everything else you can find then you should read this too.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 September 2012
Digital analyst and sociologist Brian Solis steps from the virtual world into the real world to teach companies how best to exploit social media to engage consumers, build brand equity and compete. Solis backs up his comprehensive, detailed report with exhaustive research. He does occasionally fall prey to indecipherable phrasing such as, "Inward focus now must include outward contribution." Despite these minor problems, getAbstract recommends this definitive social media guide to executives who want to stake their firms' claim in the web's vast territory.
I have just red this book and I found it very interesting, and i would like to advice it to people looking to engage.
The only point i didnt like on the book was the fact that the images, that are so important in understand some topics, are in black and white and some of them are not so clear.
Besides that everything is great.
on 20 August 2010
I did enjoy reading this, but it is lacking an overall framework which would help to structure the numerous lists and bullet points of things to remember and do. I've come across this in other books on social media, so I'm not sure if the channel just lends itself to this method of writing, but the author keeps listing things horizontally and vertically and I kept losing my place. If there was some form of overarching structure, diagram or model into which all of this fitted (and its not the conversation prism btw) it would be a much easier, and much more informative, read.
on 13 June 2010
I'm currently reading Brian Solis' Engage and am impressed by the amount of information and wisdom packed in this book. Every sentence seems to have been thought through and every facet of social media explained in a clear and thorough way. I am also struck by how generous Brian Solis is with the practical advice he gives in the book.

Brian Solis' Engage is the definitive book on social media and I'm now a fan.

Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
on 9 April 2011
The content gives the impression of having been lifted directly from blogs, and there is very little here that wasn't written two years ago in "The New Rules of Marketing & PR".

It contains, in my opinion, far too many unsubstantiated generalisations and is heavily padded out with hearsay (and quotes from Wikipedia).
There are definitely better books out there on the subject

For anyone totally new to social media, this isn't the worst introduction you could find, but I'd recommend you read it critically.
on 13 December 2010
I'm sorry, but I just found this book a little hard to read - His writing style is very....unengaging!

Just my personal view.