Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 13 January 2011
I found this book very interesting because of the variety of characters that Michael Parkinson interviewed over the years.Whether they were film stars, politicians,sports people or whatever they were allowed to express themselves without the interruptions that some of today`s interviewees seem to constantly do,thus giving the subject matter in this collection of interviews much depth.Good value for money.
on 10 December 2010
I FOUND THE INTERVIEWS RATHER SHORT ON MATERIAL, LEAVING ME WANTING MORE ON MOST, BUT NOT ALL OF THE SUBJECTS. EXCELLENT QUALITY PAPER PRODUCING SOME CLEAR PHOTOS.
on 4 December 2010
I've admittedly not read the full book, but based on the small excerpt I sampled, I question the value of bothering with a full read. These are only excerpts from the interviews Michael Parkinson conducted over many years. Yes, there does seem to be a broad spectrum of personalities included here.

But the entry for the person who most interested me, Peter Sellers, smacked of poorly researched and rehashed info regurgitated by second-rate underlings sheerly for the sake of putting words on a page to financially benefit Parkinson and the publishers. "First published in Great Britain in 2010 by Hodder and Stoughton. An Hachette UK Company."

An hatchet job by an Hachette Company. The introductory material for Sellers states that he WON the Oscar for Being There. I can attest with absolute certainty and even 100% accuracy that Peter Sellers did NOT win the Oscar for Being There, it was Dustin Hoffman for Kramer vs. Kramer whom Sellers lost out to in 1979.

Furthermore, within the actual Sellers interview, the text recounts an incident when Spike Milligan was occupying Sellers' flat whilst Peter was away. Sellers stated that he had just been married as had Spike. Sellers is speaking of his first marriage in 1951. As the text reads, Peter tells Parky that it was no problem as he "was going away with Suzanne anyway."

Peter's first wife's name is Anne, NOT Suzanne. Doubtful Sellers would have been referring to anyone on the side during an interview of this sort, especially when relating that he was JUST married at the time. What is more likely is that some publishing flunkies were transcribing the interviews and had little to no knowledge of the content they are regurgitating.

I have an earlier hardbound book of Parky's interviews from some years back, which was also only a collection of excerpts. I can provide the specifics of that book after holiday travels are done.

REALLY, Michael Parkinson should be ashamed to sign his name to this. I'll wager there are plenty more inaccuracies besides those in the Sellers pages. Facts seem to be a relic of auld lang syne that are just not required in publishing these days.
on 30 October 2010
I am just half way through this book and its a very enjoyable read. Lots of pics and very interesting interviews. Certainly a book to keep!
on 19 January 2013
My Dad was so happy with this for his Christmas gift from me! - nice not to give socks or hankies!
on 13 November 2010
Interesting book, Parky has met them all. There's some cracking Parky interviews on Youtube but I didn't realise who Parky had met until I'd read this book. I wish they'd repeat them on TV but if not maybe put them on DVD.
on 2 November 2010
My Mum saw a copy of this at my house and has been asking me again and again if I can get her one for Christmas! But don't think that this is just for the retired. I must say that this is a real fave of mine too, am v pleased to be reading about David Niven alongside Roald Dahl, Tom Jones, and Dawn French [all personal heroes], and they are proper revealing interviews.
on 16 January 2011
The book was quite good but was a disappointment as I was under the impression that I had ordered a DVD.
Eric Walker.
on 24 October 2010
Rubbish. This book is rubbish.

Well, that's not what I thought when I ordered it in a flash from the Amazon website.

When I heard how Michael Parkinsons had written a book about his favourite interviews, my first thought was "Wow, I can't wait to read that book and get an even bigger insight into the revealing interview that Michael Parkinsons conducted with my favourite actor; Mister Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') back in 2004".

And then when the book arrived, I eagerly unwrapped the cardboard packaging and flicked through every page and then my heart sank when I got to the end to find that Nigel Harman's (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') interview had NOT been included in Parkinsons's list AT ALL. Therefore my second thought was:

"What the heck is wrong with Parkinsons? How can he write about the interviews he did with actors like Judy Dench, James Stuart and Jack Lemon and not mention the one with Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders')?".

If anyone reading this didn't see Parkinsons's interview with Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') back in 2004 then you missed a treat. It was spellbinding. Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') not only conveyed himself to be a fantastic raconteur, he also displayed his entertaining presents by JUGGLING(!) on the show too - showcasing a hidden talent that even a huge fan such as I was even surprised to know he had hidden. And so, springboarding from this revelation were a barrage of off-screen insights I wanted to find out and hoped to know from Parkinsons's book, like:

-Was the juggling section on the show pre-arranged?
-Can Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') do any other circus skills?
-Does Parkinsons think that Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') has what it takes to 'make it' in Hollywood?

But no. I have no answers to these questions. All I have is a mind full of question marks.
I'm so angry that I can't type anymore.

I hope Parkinsons reads this and realise how disappointed he has made Nigel Harman's (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') many fans like myself, and that he updates his book when it comes out in paperback to include further insights about the interview he did with Nigel Harman (Dennis Rickman in 'EastEnders') like the one with Peter 'O' Tool which he did think was important enough to write about.

I'm putting this book in the jumble.

-Stephen Alan Yorke.
1010 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse