on 28 February 2017
Most of the seeds were okay but some didn't grow. Did look really nice on window ledge.
on 2 March 2017
Excellent for the price.
on 1 June 2011
I'm a big fan of the 'grow your own' ideology and though I have an outside garden, I wanted something I could grow in my kitchen as well. I purchased this salad kit alongside the 'herb' kit thinking that it would suffice my needs for having cut and come again lettuces without having to venture too far up my garden.

This little trough is nice enough on appearance alone, although when I say 'little' I do mean little! As the other reviewer has already pointed out, the picture makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is- so I'm glad I ordered the herb version as well- I have them both sat together on the kitchen windowsill- with room to spare of course. I also don't think that I'm going to get too much salad out of this to be honest either- out of the five packets of seeds advertised, I only got two sent in the pack for some reason, which was a bit disappointing.

The wooden trough is actually fairly well made however- a little distressed looking which gives it a traditional, country kitchen feel. It comes lined with plastic to save the tub getting too wet when watered. What I like most about the trough is that it looks nice and that you have it to re-use in future. I foresee me having this on my windowsill for a while, definitely- though I doubt I will continue to use it for salad leaves. I'll probably put more herbs in it instead to be honest.

I think this would make a lovely little gift for someone to introduce them to growing their own for the first time, or even for someone who doesn't have a garden of their own who would still like to grow things (very small things!). Taking the size of the wooden planter into consideration, I'd personally recommend getting two of the Unwin kits for one average sized window sill. There's also a mediterranean herbs kit and a regular herb kit, (of which I already own) and given the price of them at the moment, they're actually a real bargain!
on 30 November 2013
I have bought 4 units units from Unwins (two salad mix and two varieties).
The salad mixes come in one long compartment, the varieties have four small pots each.

From the variety (2x4 small pots):
4 types of seed failed to go up - complete dead
Out of the four that did two were descent strength and quality the remaining two withered.
That gives a hit rate of 25% which I consider a waste of money and time.
Spare yourself the frustration.

The quality of the seeds aside these pots are way to small which means that you need to water them every single day in the warm periods which is just impractical.

Pros: The product looks good however having nice looking but empty of dried out pots is besides the point

NOT recommended, very bad value for money
on 28 November 2011
I saw the previous reviews said that this item is 'little'. But it still way too 'little' than I expected.
I have measured the outer size of the small wooden trough, it has the size of 9,5 x 34 cm.
Hope it can help others to imagine the real size before you buy it.
The picture is a real illusion.
on 1 February 2011
Picture is misleading, it is very small. Does not come with enough seeds, I had to purchase more. But if you are unsure of what to purchase as a gift, this is more than suitable.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 June 2016
2016 has been a good year for slugs and snails so far, so I thought I would try this little Kitchen Garden Kit by
Unwin's and leave the pests in the rain outside. It arrived safely packaged as in the advert description, with a
cardboard sleeve which carries all the instructions for cultivation.
The wooden Window Box is small but sufficient for my needs,measuring 34 CM in length by 10 CM wide, and
8.5 CM high. It contained four 8 CM plastic plant pots and a bag of growing compost with four packets of salad
seeds.
Lambs Lettuce,
Pak Choi
Cress Wrinkled/Curled
Mustard Ruby's and Gold

I have sown them as per the instructions and set them on my kitchen window sill. It will be a while yet
before I am able to judge the outcome of any salad crop, but the prospect of cutting leaves for cheese
and salad rolls/ sandwiches is quite appealing, particularly as one can snip off new growth for the rest
of the season.
I will add to this review as and when I have something to report.
So far, so Good. I was pleased with this purchase.
review image review image review image review image
on 2 October 2011
My 3 yr old granddaughter saw her dad growing herbs and wanted to grow something herself, so we ordered this set for her to grow on the windowsill. She is excited as it is something that she can eat, not just flowers. She has planted the seeds and is eagerly awaiting her harvest. Excellent gift idea or if you want to have salad greens all year round.
on 23 December 2012
I ordered this 3 days ago and it came today (Sunday) didnt even know they delievered on sundays probally because of xmas and all.

Fantastic wooden box and nice little pots to put the herbs in. Massive pack of soil which was fantastic as I can now use it for anything as I love growing my own vegetables and herbs as I do alot of cooking at home.

I would definately buy this again and reccomend it absoloutely fantastic and looks so beautiful on my windowsill.
on 12 September 2013
Was very pleased with this product. Very quick delivery and very easy to set up. The salad grew quite quickly ad tasted very yummy. Was unable to keep this product as I went away on holiday to Portugal this summer and was unable to water it which was very sad. I have kept the container which is very presentable and just the right size to put in my kitchen window. I have yet to plant anymore salad leaves as I now have two kittens who like to knock stuff over.

See one answered question