on 8 February 2011
I am not sure if this is the first in a series or an intermediate one; however whichever it is it could do with a prologue to explain a few things, for example what was the "Rupture" which seemed to cause the existence of demons. What had Rae, the heroine and demon girl of the title been doing for the last 200 years that she seemed to have no memory of. The other thing I did not like was the ending where the book ended literally in mid chase although I accept that authors need to leave events so that a sequel can be written and I know that there is a short extract from the next book included I believe that it would have been better if it had been "topped and tailed" so that reading the series out of sequence would be easier.
OK criticism done. I liked the book and thought that the world created within was remarkably well constructed and had a believable feel to it most of the characters including some minor ones were well described and there was a sense of tension throughout the book. This is probably aimed at the teen market and I am well out of that range but I still enjoyed it and look forward to the next chapter.
on 23 July 2017
This book started well but I thought it became quite slow at times when i nearly gave up on it. All in all I am happy I stayed around but not so sure I'll be returning for the second course
on 2 February 2013
I read this one overnight when I couldn't sleep. The story is enchanting mixing fairies, vampires, weres and demons; throwing them all against secular and separatist humane. A fast romp through post apocalypse earth but in none of the usual ways. I will enjoy the next instalment I am sure.
on 9 November 2010
I downloaded this book primarily as it was free and I am glad that I did. It is most definitely no literature classic but the tale in itself is engaging enough. The prose is simple in nature and very easy to read.

The book is set in a world of demons and humans and focuses on two days in the life of the main character Rae as she discovers her lineage and who she really is. Her life is complicated by her developing relationships between Breandan and Tomas.

The book is aimed at teenage girls but as a slightly older female it held my interest long enough to finish it at one sitting and I may even be tempted to buy the next book when it is published next year. (albeit that I was supposed to be studying and I found this book to be a welcome distraction)

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy supernatural romantic themes.
on 31 October 2010
Decided to buy this as I like Fantasy and was a snip at just under a quid. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I really enjoyed it. I really liked the mixture of humans, fey and Vampires in a world decimated by a strange plague and in which all things fey are seen to be demonic by the remainder of the human population, and therefore must be destroyed.

Enter Rae, a girl who thinks she is 18 and human but finds out otherwise and meet her friends and enemies, some want to kill her, some want to love her and some want to bind her.

A good Kindle Book and I will be buying the sequel when it comes out.
22 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2011
When I read the product description for this book I thought that it sounded like a really interesting idea and as it was free I gave it a go. However, I was sorely disappointed. It might have been a good idea, but the whole thing is so badly written I could barely get through it.
The writing is so convoluted that at times I had to read certain paragraphs over and over just to try and make sense of them. As for the fairy/vampire love triangle, I can't help feeling that Penelope Fletcher may have been a little too influenced by the Twilight novels.
In all, I would say don't do it, but as I appear to be going against the grain here (24 five star reviews!?!) I would suggest you try it for yourself. So long as it remains free that is.
on 10 January 2011
For a free book this was actually pretty good. There were grammatical errors but once you get past that This is quite a decent short read.

It's a YA book, and I found it to fit well in the category. I didn't really find it as gory or bloodthirsty as other reviewers have done but perhaps years of horror/paranormal books and TV programmes have desensitised me.

The main thing that prevented me enjoying this book was it's pace. It wasn't that it was slow- it was too fast! I felt that I was dragged along for the ride in Rae's world with not a clue what was going on at the beginning. I just didn't feel the author had enough skill yet to carry that off. Too much was either unexplained or under explained which was a shame because the concept of Rae's world was fascinating with the different types of supernatural being and the post apocalyptic type setting.

It is the first in a series and I would like to continue with the second book to see how the storyline develops and answers some of the questions I had about Rae's world. I usually find that it's the second book of a series that makes or breaks it for me so I am looking forward to seeing what Rae's future holds......
on 31 May 2011
Demon Girl (The Rae Wilder Novels) I enjoyed this story, im not a teen but enjoy fantasy books, id recommend it as its a harmless fantasy, lose yourself and dream kind of book
on 13 February 2011
i am a fantasy fan but downloaded this because it was free and was disappointed anyway. the story has potential to be interesting and enjoyable but the characters are shallow and the storyline too.

the characters are given little time to develop before the story overtakes and moves at an overly dramatised and schizophrenic pace leading to places that do not always make sense.

reading it was not unlike reading the diary of a teenager who watches too much gossip girl and vampire diaries.

i dont think teen fiction needs to read like this. overall disappointing but at least it was free.
on 5 February 2011
first off, its free at the moment. decided to download as one of my first few books, and while the storyline at its basics (demons+ humans almost extinct+ refugee style camp) has amazing potential, it soon becomes a twi-fest. vampires, fairies who wear no shirts, total mary sue who is actually a fairy, running through the woods away from danger while being protected by the fairies... plus full of grammatical errors(and yes i do realise that so is this review, but the kindle keyboard isnt great for writing)