TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 June 2017
I am still a fan but this was too far fetched and the ending? no way.... Also, it is disconcerting to have the book back to the 1str person, narrated as Dr Scarpetta's POV. I remember how disconcerted it was to have it changed all of a sudden to the 3rd person, as if it was not the same author, then I got used to it and now, Patricia Cornwell is writing Dr Scarpetta again in the 1st person...Though I prefer it this way...
My main concern, once again, Patricia Cornwell is forgetting that her audience are not doctors or forensic experts and the language is too technical. I find myself skipping a lot of pages because of this only to find out I have to go back because I miss some of the plot.
But Port Mortuary is not very realistic, in my opinion...3 stars because as I said, I am still a fan.
on 30 July 2017
I was getting bored of the life and work of Kay Scarpetta, but I am glad that I persevered. Port Mortuary sees a return to the first person narrative of the earlier books and is the better for it.
With the last few in the third person, I was annoyed by all the jumping between characters yet there still seeming to be huge gaps in the readers knowledge meaning that we didn't have enough information to "solve" the crimes ourselves. With the first person narration, we are back with Kay's POV and so any lack of knowledge on our part is understandable because we only know what she knows.
The plot is a little convoluted, and perhaps you could even call it contrived, having the murders so close to where she and Benton live, but if the crimes were not close to them, then the question could by why would they be involved?
The whole story taking place over just a couple of days, so the pace rattles along just nicely. One bugbear is the introduction of a previously unmentioned military past for Kay.
Overall, I enjoyed this book and for me, it is a return to form.
on 30 October 2015
OH DEAR ! - I realised reading this was a bad idea app 4 chapters in , really should have given it up as a bad job then , persevered to the end & very much wish I hadn't, masses of tedious tec detail , such hard going !
As I mentioned in my previous review , I so enjoyed the earlier novels in the series but after the last two I have read, I very much doubt I would read another in the Scarpetta series..... maybe not another Cornwell at all ....What on earth is going on Patricia ?
on 24 February 2017
Usual slightly crazy and convoluted plot - but I always enjoy these books!
on 27 August 2017
Good read.
on 30 April 2017
Once again once you start it is difficult to put down. A real page turner and kept you in suspense till the end
on 17 March 2017
She never fails to please, a great read
on 6 September 2017
This brings more depth to Kay Scarpetta's past and links it to future stories.
on 24 February 2011
As many others have said I was also a massive fan of the early Scarpetta books but it all started to go wrong around Black Notice and this book really is the final straw for me.

The return to the third person and the fact that Lucy is not in the story much is welcome but the book has no plot and what little story there is jumps around completely incomprehensibly and left me completely befuddled and bored. As someone who works in the area of nanotechnology that part of the story was completely inaccurate and I'm left wondering if she researched it at all or just read a few issues of the Fortean Times.

I don't intend to read any more of her books after this effort, there are far superior authors out there and hence fortunately no need to waste valuable reading time on drivel like this.
on 8 December 2010
Patricia Cornwell's earlier Scarpetta books really got me hooked on crime novels and I always looked forward to her next Scarpetta novel. However something has gone horribly wrong with the last few efforts and this is by far the worst yet.
The story is non existent, the narrative is dull and the characters seems just as bored of themselves as I was. By the end of chapter 2 I'd given up trying to remember what all the acronyms stood for and just found them down right irritating (to be fair though Cornwell is not the only writer who seems to think that more acronyms is a good thing - recent Kathy Reichs also suffers from the same thing).
I finished the book but was tempted on more than one occasion just to give up... not sure I'll be buying any more Scarpetta novels unless they improve dramatically... such a shame.
77 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse