Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 5 December 2012
This was plugged into my WD My Book Live Duo as an external drive - what could be better I thought than using the manufacturers own product?

After many odd errors and shutdowns on the main MBLD, tech support began to suspect this external drive.

A full overnight scan revealved thousands upon thousands of errors, and they requested the drive be RMA'd. Of course, I won't be as I don't want to use this brand any more, and will return via Amazon.

Mainly as meanwhile the MBLD has ALSO since failed catastrophically after just 3 months. I will NEVER buy WD products again.
on 12 November 2012
Currently this is among several large, quite low cost-per-TB, branded disks. I chose it because the USB3 faster interface (claimed 5Gb/s compared to 500Mb/s for USB2) put it ahead of others. However, I don't note any real difference, either in making backups or Premiere Pro video editing, in speed with this disk compared to a USB2 disk, on modern USB3 i7 and i5 PCs. I know cable clamps are now out of fashion (or maybe even banned for safety reasons), but the wobbly USB3 microUSB connector on the back of the drive hardly looks built to last, and the rather rigid cable with large plastic moulded plug does disconnect if the WD drive is pushed or cable touched. Given these comments, next time I would choose a disk with the larger near-square USB2 B connection.
on 27 March 2016
I bought this external hard drive to back up my computer as its hard drive was failing. I was originally going to get just 1tb but for not much more I could get the 2tb and I'm glad I did as theres plenty of space for anything else that needs to be stored. I also chose the WD as it was compatible with both windows and mac something which was essential.
It runs great and I've never had a problem with it. Definitely sticking with Wd and am now looking as their internal drives to replace one that burnt out.
on 2 March 2014
I have a few WD blacks and a green n stalled in my MacPro - WD make good internals, but there externals are a bit dodgy.
In one week I had one of these and a my studio from 6 years ago fail. From now on, I'm just going to use a 3.5/2.5 cradle and stick 3.5 drives in direct
on 22 October 2017
WD are great
on 15 April 2016
Nice Product with recommend to others.
on 18 April 2013
arrived before due date bought this hard drive after after buying a WD My Book 1TB for my Macbookvery impressed with both Drives.
on 30 August 2014
Good if you need a lot of storage work well really happy😊
on 16 April 2017
Excellent Product
on 6 April 2012
I wanted a drive with a capacity to backup my PC.The drive can do that easily.It's an extremely quiet drive ,it looks robust and well built and it comes from a trustworthy manufacturer.
That's where my praise ends.I also purchased this particular drive because the manufacturers "blurb" gave the impression that backup was so easy that left to it's own devices the drive would continually backup as and when it was necessary I was wrong and from the feedback on the WD website and other forums most purchasers feel the same way.
The problem is the WD SMARTWARE software that the drive uses it is absolutely rubbish ..the main problem being the resources that the software hogs (and my machine is only 3 months old !)
it uses CPU sometimes up to 100% of it and therefore I cannot use the PC for anything else.Even with the drive switched off the software runs sorting files which can take hours and I kid you not.WD are well aware of the rubbish software and a recent release was supposed to address the problem but if you look on their own forum you will find it hasn't.
I actually feel that I've been duped and would not recommend this drive to anyone until WD sort the software problem.Surely with all the knowledge they have it can be done ? Failing that
sell the drive with specialist software brought in.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse