on 26 November 2010
Cee Lo Green's voice is undefinable, so all i can do is describe the various qualities: massive in range, at times smooth and velvety and other times strong and passionate, in the mid-range has a timbre close to androgynous. Air of mistery. That's the best way I can describe it, and when combined with the rhythmic but soulful tracks which he so commands, he is seductive. This is one of those albums which I will listen to time and time again and always find something new to appreciate. Mostly in the nuances of his singing style, but also in some of the new ways in which soul music has been made contemporary by him. I shy of giving 4 stars because it feels there is more in his creative output and a couple of the tracks did not inspire me, although they are pleasant enough. The majority is spot on and I can't help feeling engaged all the way along this album.

Including the two version of "Forget you" is good idea. They both work well, but the impact they have are quite different

Enthusiastically recommended
on 19 October 2011
From his work with Gnarls Barkley, it's clear that Cee Lo Green is an outstanding singer and songwriter. With this solo album, he provides us further proof of his talents.

The chart successes showcase the more commercial side of the music. 'Forget You' / 'F*** you' has to be the best expletive-heavy song to ever top the charts, and the rhyming of Ferrari and Atari strikes me as genius every time I hear it. 'Bright Lights Bigger City' is string-laden, dramatic brilliance. But there's more, far more. 'Please' is slow and soulful, 'Satisfied' and 'Cry Baby' among others have a retro, sixties pop feel. It almost feels unfair to pick out individual tracks, though. 'The Lady Killer' works as a whole. The production's sumptuous, the songs intricate, Cee Lo Green's voice magnificently versatile. In an era of so much talent-show inspired mediocrity, I'm delighted someone's producing original, commercial and - most importantly - intelligent pop music.
on 13 May 2018
I ordered this album because I had to find out how much a good producer (danger mouse) can add to the sound of a good vocalist.
this release does not sound as good as the ones with danger mouse (the gnarls releases).
on 10 March 2017
NO NO NO NOT FOR ME RUBBISH SONGS THERE IS ONLY THE FIRST TWO TRACKS THAT ARE GOOD BECAUSE THE OTHER TRACKS ARE RUBBISH HE SOUNDS PISSED OUT OF HIS HEAD AND YPU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT HES SAYING REALLY ARE THE OTHER TRACKS ARE RUBBISH anyway it's made a nice CUP COSTER LOL
on 27 June 2011
I wasn't sure what to expect as previously he was associated with hiphop & rap though the hit 'Forget You' is obviously not in that genre. Also having seen him on TV shows and concerts, he seems to blow hot & cold though live singing is always difficult. Still, I was not disappointed with this album! If like me you like some of that old stuff like Freddie Jackson & Keith Sweat then this is of a similar vein and you won't be disappointed - I don't like to associate/compare to other artists but for those of you who are not sure then that is the genre you will get. On listening to the album a second/third time I found myself singing along - well singing is probably not the best description! Someone else commented on track 10 being soulfull & almost "James Brown" and I wholeheartedly agree, though for those thinking that's not me, well not all tracks are like this. It is a mix of different soul styles and my favourite would be Track 11; 'It's OK', I bet you'll scream the chorus after a couple of listens!! Overall his articulation is fab and the passion he has for Soul comes out at 'Mach 5' so turn it up!
on 19 December 2016
Difficult to add anything that hasn't been said already! This album caught me by surprise and is now my most listened to Album since Tom Odell, long way down. Bright lights is immense, if you can find better use of beats and melodies, good for you. Can't praise this album enough..
on 9 October 2011
Fantastic, I love this album and cant stop playing it, i makes me want to smile when I hear Cry Baby, as I have had the misfortune to meet many women like this in my Chelsea hairdressing days. High maintenance, spoilt and whinging their boyfriends dont give them enough. Looks like a bloke got the last laugh.... It's good to hear a singer with some original music and lyrics that isn't a cover of someone else's music. Well done Ceelo. You make me smile baby.
on 20 December 2016
Very good album. Lots of dreamy RnB tracks, with a very old-school vibe going on. Had me singing in the car, is my favorite album while driving at the mo.
on 7 May 2012
I was looking forward to hearing this album after seeing Cee-Lo Green on Jools Holland 'Later' but unfortunately the audio quality is dreadful. The vocals are overbright and painful to listen to, the bass smears and there is no separation in the percussion. If you have a high end hi-fi system then don't bother with this CD.
on 25 April 2011
I wanted to hear this album purely out of curiosity & read the reviews on Amazon prior to ordering.

This is the most awesome album I have heard in ages!! It is a perfect mix of music now, old Motown & also soul with some funk!!

Love this CD-tracks 2/4/6/7/8 & 9 are superb & Looove track 11!!

I think this CD will appeal to all-only thing is that track no 14-the F*** Y** track I always skip-unnecessary & we did already know the context & meaning of this track-maybe I am just a little old fashioned here!! It doesn't spoli the CDthough-the times we are living in!!

Fab CD-only took 2 listens to get me hooked-so glad I bought it!!

Highly recommend to all-well done Cee Lo!!!
3 people found this helpful