TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 September 2015
Bought for my niece studying her Arts subject A-levels. She says it has been helpful in teaching her to read quickly for academic purposes. She's now going on to History at uni...

Speed reading is essentially about reading for your objective and learning to sight-read, rather than what we were taught as children in reading to ourselves in our head. Instead of slow internal vocalisation, you will learn that there is no need to read it 'out-loud to yourself' in your mind, once your eyes have seen the words they are in your brain, you can then just understand it.

Requires us to train ourselves, and this book is an excellent teacher. This willl massively increase your reading speed and reduce how much energy it requires you to read texts.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
This is hands down the best speed reading book I have read to date! My opinion is that the skills presented within this book should be taught as part of the education system. This would have made a significant difference to my study after Secondary education.

In a nutshell, Spd Rdng - The Speed Reading Bible, presents 37 techniques/concepts to improve your reading. I particularly liked how the book is laid out; allowing the reader to read through chronologically, or skip to areas that are of most interest. The authors do provide a speed reading 'map' of the techniques in a progression, however, as they mention in the book, you can create your own system.

The 37 techniques are well laid out, easy to read,digest, then put into practice and do make a difference, I only wish I'd had this book many years ago during academic study! I have cut my non-fiction reading into 20 min chunks, whilst retaining a high level of understanding, also recall. More importantly, cutting down overall reading time by many hours. However, like any skill, to become proficient it takes lots of practice. I am currently experimenting with downloading and rapid reading skills from the book.

The latter part of the book provides an opportunity to try out the various techniques. I also found the short passages very interesting, particularly, 'The History of Speed Reading' which shows where the authors developed their ideas from for their comprehensive 'system'.

To get an overview of the 37 techniques you can email the authors, and they will send you a pdf file containing brief summaries. Google - 'Spd Rdng' to find the website. After reading the book I had some questions which Jan Cisek was kind enough to answer via email too.

In conclusion, this book is I deal for people who:

Want to save time

Improve comprehension

Aid study skills for exam

Become more purpose readers

Increase reading speed (in the first few chapters you can double your reading speed!)

Learn speed reading techniques

Download large quantities of material into your subconscious
on 7 May 2013
Some of the speed reading techniques in this book seem really obvious, but they were a really good reminder to me to DO THEM. (I wasn't even doing the ones I knew about.)
And once I'd had some success with the easy ones (like working in 20-minute blocks and previewing everything) I felt more confident about trying some of the others.
The hardest thing I found was to get a good purpose and stick to it. The first time I was trying to get too much information, but then I realised that I only need a purpose for my
20-minute work session and things started improving. But then I found that I was finishing too early, and I realised my purpose wasn't big enough!

Anyway, I got there in the end. I can pretty much decide on a good purpose now (most of the time anyway) and I've also worked out that if I see other things I'm interested in,
I don't get distracted (I just note where they are and decide what to do about them when my session is finished.) But now I've cracked it, I think that this one technique makes the most difference.
It really makes me think about what I want from a book, so sometimes I'm very happy to just get the main message about what its about (the newspaper technique - relaly useful!) and then move on to the next book.
The only exception for me is novels - I really like reading novels quite slowly so I can really get into the story (but the Spd Rding book says its Ok to do that).

The other really good technique is syntopic processing where you read four books in one session, but then you really need to know what your purpose is because you can't read everything in all of the four books in 75 minutes, but you can get loads of information which I would never have got using any other method.
I suppose the best thing now is that I can read quickly if I want to, but I don't have to.
I haven't done all the techniques yet, but I'm going to try them all because I'm already reading so much quicker than I used to.

I really recommend it!
on 5 April 2014
I like this book. It gives a thorough treatment without being overly verbose. It is structured in an accessible easy style. The techniques are sound and work. In short, if you want to read faster - buy this book, apply the advice, and you *will* read faster. simples.
on 29 May 2013
As a solicitor, I have volumes of case papers to read in a very short time, and without missing any important details.

I purchased this book to develop techniques that will help me in reading and absorbing information quickly. Although not all techniques described in the book relate to my work, I have found the majority are suitable.

With practice, I have already noticed a vast improvement in the speed of my reading. I have also found an improvement in my retention of information read - which again saves me time as I don't have to re-read papers repeatedly. Recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 July 2017
I did not find this useful, I am afraid
on 19 April 2012
The core ideas in this book absolutely work, I starting reading so much quicker even after the first few pages.

It has dramatically changed the way that I read. I just wish that I read the book years ago as I would have been able to get through my reading so much quicker.

Highly recommended
5 people found this helpful
on 4 April 2016
Doubled my reading speed reading this book. If you want to save time get this book.
on 7 May 2013
Lots of great techniques. Nothing too difficult (except maybe getting my head round a good purpose; and I'm still taking the downloading thing on trust - no idea how it's going to work.) Lots of interesting stuff about reading that I never knew. And the best thing is that I'm getting through my work. I haven't quite got on top of everything yet, but I was pretty far behind. And I know that with these techniques I'm going to make it pretty soon. Thank you!!!!!!
on 21 October 2013
I've got lots of books to read and no time to read them. Speed reading promises to go through piles of books in no time. Amazing simple techniques to help me to get the gist of the information in fraction of time it took me before. Reading just summaries will save me so much time. Most of my books have summaries and I don't feel bad about not reading the rest of the book. Summaries rocks. Each technique is summarised so it's so easy to learn all the speed reading techniques.