on 5 December 2010
At its special pre-Christmas price of under a fiver, it's an excellent stocking filler to keep various relatives or Secret Santa recipients occupied this Christmas. Little gems of wisdom, interspaced with the ups and down of life with Mr Stephen Fry and the numerous small fry, plus some excellent recipe ideas for Spam. It's funny, irreverent and a little weird, just like that old uncle that who you only see at Christmas. At this price, you'll probably pay more for the wrapping paper and card. Make sure you buy one for yourself at the same time, because you if you only get one, you won't want to give it away.
on 19 February 2011
I have never been quite sure if Stephen Fry is the absolute genius that he appears or if he annoys me intensely because of his unrelenting knowledge and wit at all times. I just love to listen to him talking and watch him in various television programmes, where he always just behaves as he is, but never before have I ever been able to imagine him as a parent, certainly not one of such numerous, delightfully named and entertaining genre. To be married to such a person as this Dear lady is, must have been a trial, one that is told in such an absolutely brilliant and compelling way, that the reader can in no way put the book down until the month is ended, and then have a sneak into the next..... A must read for every one... I loved it.
on 16 December 2013
It's certainly not the kind of writing I'd have expected from the erudite Mr Fry. He doesn't miss one opportunity for a laugh in his slightly chavvy view of what the poor Mrs Fry would be like. I wuldn't read this on your Kindle on a train unless you want to annoy all the passengers when yu laugh. I suspect this could raise a hoot from a corpse. Stephen Fry should do lots more diaries - asap
on 28 December 2012
I bought this on a whim, having not read any books by Stephen Fry before. Overall I found it quite funny - it was fun to read about Stephen's 'fake wife' and how she sees Stephen's alternate identity. Many of the diary entries are like self-contained jokes that set themselves up as a clever pun or play on words, but the main story thread running through the diary is fun to follow. It wasn't laugh-out-loud hilarious but made me snort approvingly in places.
on 27 December 2010
One of my first Kindle reads and one which my family had cause to regret - why? Because it really is a laugh out loud read. I thoroughly recommend this book to anybody who loves the quick wit of Mr. Fry! I'm not sure why this book isn't a number one best seller with everybody talking about it. Maybe it is and I've been too busy reading to notice! Trust me you'll love it!
on 24 January 2013
Have always enjoyed reading Stephen Fry's literary works. Although this is perhaps not his best offering, it frequently brings a smile to me and even occasionally makes me want to laugh out loud - perfect for the journey to work amid a sea of frowning faces on the tube in the morning!
on 17 February 2018
Thanks
on 6 February 2015
whether you like a book or not is a matter of personal taste. This book is brilliant
on 14 November 2010
An amazing recording of a marvelous house wife who really is a megastar in the making. Her quick wit and amazing way she can tell her tale of everyday life struggling with the highs and lows of a suburban mother with six or seven kids juggling her housekeeping money to serve tempting spam dishes to keep the spice of life going in her marriage even with Stephen her husband friendliness to a neighbors and visits to local pub. A must read for all wives and mothers to help them through the challenges from day to day.
on 24 April 2015