on 12 October 2011
Although it has 400+ quiries I'm dissapointed with the depth this book goes into. For example I delved into this book to find an example of an update that uses a select in the where clause. It had nearly two pages of very basic update statements, none of which contained a select in either the where or the set. Luckily for me I was rescued by a book I bought at university about 20 years ago!

This is reflective of the book as a whole which seems thin on content and pads out the pages by having lots of headings and sub headings rather than content.

The flow of the book is a bit odd as well. The headings and sub headings should make it a good reference but jump into the heading for a particular query and it can assume you've read the two or three previous pages. It would have helped if each SQL query/statement had the full syntax associated with it but the (large) Syntax heading only shows the particular example (which should be labelled as 'example' rather than 'syntax').

It's not all bad, at least there are 400+ examples, but overall I'd rather I'd picked a different book.
on 20 March 2013
The author clearly knows his stuff and brings a lot of tips and tricks into a good reference text.
Would recommend this book as I thought some of the others were a little too tricky to follow