on 13 April 2010
Dark, sexy, funny! Loved it stayed up way too late finishing books way too many nights. I just had to know what was coming next!
on 5 January 2010
Turned up in a timely fashion - Courier notwithstanding - well packed - perfect condition
All that said it was a present for someone else so, I am not best placed to review the contents

But it was well received, so I am, needless to say satisfied
on 9 August 2011
I bought this boxset at an amazing price of £8.99 and they came so neatly packaged, I didn't really want to open them in fear of ruining the new-ness.

I read the first book about a week or so later, and I have to say I was actually dissapointed. Sookie comes off as annoying, up herself and...blonde. But I'd paid £8.99 for this boxset so I told myself I had to read at least 3 books so I didn't feel like I wasted money.

So glad I did because this series seriously got better. I love Eric and Pam. I wish there was MORE of them.

This is one of those series's that had me thinking about Sookie and what would happen whilst I was doing boring chores and such.

I've already order Dead in the Family: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Vampire 10). and pre-ordered the paperback version of book 11.

To anybody whose read the first two book in this series and felt like giving up. DON'T, well worth it to carry on.

Also, I'd just like to mention; I've never watched the TV show and have no desire to do so. The books can be read on there own. xD
on 10 June 2010
I watched the first and second season of the tv show and fell in love with it and then I bought this boxset of books and I can not put them down! the first book is very very similar to the tv show but the second book is loosely tied in with the 2nd season. I prefer the books as they are more funnier, have more supernatural beings and more of Eric lol! Of course there not brilliantly written and Harris tends to go over the same points in each book but its good because if your like me and tend to forget certain parts in a book series at least they have been re-introduced. Overall a very good series and I am just about to finish the 6th book.
on 3 December 2009
I have to admit I bought this elsewhere for a MAJOR bargain price! And I had kinda read the first couple of books before. But this time I was semi comparing it to the series which had been on the TV.

If you're looking at this, you pretty much know it's about Sookie Stackhouse, a young telepath who falls in love with a vampire. And that might be all that you know. But that's not all that's here. You have vampires - your bog standard scary ones - Bill, the studious first love of Sookie's life; Eric - the Viking Vampire that sneaks in under your radar, turns you on simply because he is so good at being bad, then sneakily makes you care; Pam - the Yummy Mummy looking vampire who has a total ruthless streak; and of course, the vampire that everyone recognises when they see him around, but who answers to the name of Bubba!!

But you get more than that. You get witches, Wiccans, werewolves, shifters, man-woman dynamics, politics, good old southern ways, infighting, inbreeding, royalty, fairies - these books have SO much in them, you don't get a chance to get bored. The men are absolutely gorgeous sounding - if they look that good in season 2, the series is going to have a HUGE female following, bigger than it has at the moment.

All told from Sookie's POV, these books start off slow and meandering, until you realise that you've read three of them on your day off because as soon as you finish one you just want to find out what happens next. And each book wraps some things up without being HEA - Sookie's life isn't simple and easy anymore, and the books don't try to pretend they are. There is some gore, much less sex than you might expect, complicated group dynamics, and a satisfying read. And it's nice that they have been repackaged so they match the TV series.

I read all eight of them in three days (but I did have to go to work one of those days, which took up a chunk of my time) as did my kids! And by the sixth book, I was ordering book 9 in hardback. They are well worth the money individually, but as a box-set you can't go wrong. Highly recommended.
11 Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2011
The photo that goes with this product shows 10 books, the last of which is "A touch of dead", which is the 11th book in the series.
"Dead in the family" the 10th novel in the series does not appear in the picture.

Can someone confirm what titles we get in the box set please?
on 13 September 2011
After reading 'the twilight saga' I didn't feel like I had my complete fill of vampires so I set off in search of another vampire-esque novel when I stumbled across these beauties. I unfortunately did not buy them in this box set which I wish I had as I would have saved a tonne of money. What I would suggest is maybe buying the first book separately - just incase you don't like them, but I doubt that you won't.

The books itself are about Sookie Stackhouse - A small town girl with telepathic tendencies who struggles with her everyday life until she meets Bill. Bill is a vampire and luckily for sookie, she cannot read vampire minds. The books then develop into a frenzy of supernatural including shapeshifters, faires, elves, werewolves and more vampires and all rounds up being fantastic novels.

I really enjoyed every single one of these books and including the 2 that have already been realised there is still 2 more to come.

You don't have to be a 'twihard' to enjoy these books. These are defiantly classified as adult fiction compared to twilights young adult guidance. They are defiantly more grown up, sexier and more scandalous and I would highly recommend them.

*NOTE: If you enjoyed the TV series I will not guarantee you will like these books. The books and series differ substantially (one being the lack of Tara in the books), so I suggest you try out the first book but I still reckon you will be as hooked as the rest of us 'true blood' fans.
on 25 September 2010
After getting seriously hooked on True Blood, I had to find out more about Sookie, Bill, Eric and all the rest of the colourful crew invented by Charlaine Harris. I couldn't imagine how the books would be better than the show, but from experience, I know that this is usually the case. I can honestly say the books and tv show are equally fab! I love how the tv show differs from the books, so I didn't actually know what was going to happen in the books, so if you are contemplating whether or not to read the books because you're already into the current series of True Blood, I'd say go for it! One problem with getting the box set--when I finished one book I HAD to immediately go on to the next book and when they were all read, I was fast online to amazon to get the books not included in this set. I have to say it was time well spent because I thoroughly enjoyed each and every book. These books are a MUST for any True Blood fan.
on 29 June 2011
Having read the first three books I borrowed from my friend, I bought the whole set. The books are exactly what I expected in that they are the perfect light read for the holidays or when you don't want to overtax your brain. :) Although after the first few the plot of the books becomes very obvious I still found them to be enjoyable to read. Still think that the tv-show is superior though!
on 17 December 2009
I watch and love True Blood on TV and from there I learnt it was based (albeit loosely) on a Sookie Stackhouse book collection. I borrowed the first book and loved it and so I brought this box set. At the great price I got it for it makes every book very good value for money and I am now on the thrid book in the series. I note however there is a 9th book in the series which isnt included in this set unfortunately but I dont know enough about that book to have a guess at a reason for this omission.

Its so handy though just reaching across for the next book in the series without having to wait to hire it from the library or buy it seperatly.

It also makes for a great gift to give to someone. Im glad I brought it.