on 17 November 2017
Having been a fan of Alastair Reynolds writing from the first book, as soon as I see a new title, I by it.
One of my favourite being The Prefect from 2007.
I Should have been more careful and did not notice the small sticker on the cover
This is The Prefect with a new title
Still 5 stars for The Prefect but annoyed with Amazon for not making it more obvious
13 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
This is an excellent novel, here rated three rather than five stars solely to reflect the fact that I believe more should have been done in the Amazon web advertising material to make it clear that this novel is not - as I thought- a new work building on the foundation novel 'The Prefect' but in fact that same work re-published under a new title. As it happened, I had given away my original some time ago and - once over the initial irritation experienced on discovering this - re-read the story with pleasure: a modest upside of failing memory.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 April 2018
Originally titled The Prefect, Aurora Rising is the first of the 'Prefect Dreyfus emergencies' books, already followed up by Elysium Fire - like its sequel it's a detective story with a hard SF setting. While I don't think it works quite as well as Elysium Fire, there's still a lot to like here - and given the choice, I wish I'd read this book first.

What is excellent is the complex future world Alastair Reynolds creates, complete with aspects of history, notably 'the 80' which are referred to several times before we get an idea of what was involved. There's a strong mix of cyber-technology - particularly in the form of two extremely powerful AI protagonists, each with their own agendas - and hardware that is in classic SF vein, but with some neat twists, such as the prefects' multipurpose weapon-cum-Swiss-Army-knife, the whiphound.

The main plot line, which involves significant moral decisions from whether it's okay to kill some of your citizens to protect many more, to whether it is best not to tell someone you're about to make them suffer terribly (for medical reasons) to save them mental anguish, is strong. Along the way, the developing threat puts the whole of the 'Glitter Band' collection of 10,000 space habitats at risk.

The only reason I'm not giving this book five stars as I did its sequel is that a couple of the sub-plots seem far fetched. One of these requires someone who believes himself to be one of the good guys to be persuaded it's okay to give over control of their entire civilisation to an unknown despot. It's hard to imagine any argument succeeding in persuading an intelligent person to do this. The other involves a prefect rescuing herself and a group of others from a situation so impossible that even Tom Cruise would turn his nose up at the chance to have a go.

However, despite these slight irritations (and being a little longer than it probably should have been), it's a great book, which I'd highly recommend reading before getting on to Elysium Fire.
on 31 January 2018
My favourite kind of sci fi; imaginative and intelligent world building, complex characters, a protagonist I can root for and a mystery to solve. It doesn't delve into really esoteric territory though, many of the themes will be familiar, so it's an undemanding read.

Don't be fooled by the overall star rating, most are whinging that the book is republished under a new name, not that it is bad.
on 6 January 2018
Should have read the (very) small print - this book was published previously as 'The Prefect', which is what it was called when I read it the first time. Conned into buying a book I'd already read.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2017
I utterly love this book. It’s Alastair Reynolds showing off just how good a writer he is. It deserves an annual re-Read, and I’m very excited that a second ‘Prefect’ book is coming soon.
One person found this helpful
on 2 May 2018
An entertaining read that is a sort of mash-up of police procedural and space opera Fans of Alastair Reynolds will not be disappointed.
on 28 May 2014
I love this author. I added this too my Kindle so I could have the educationally challenge USA female voice read it to me. Took me ages to learn C Monday was cmon as in come on. This book holds you from the start, and never lets you down with a weak chapter. The characters are well developed and the plot lines, and there are more than one, challenging. It really shows up many of the self published SciFi stories, many of those are overpriced at free, they steal your time. Buy this.
on 24 March 2018
I got onto this book as I recently read another alistair Reynolds book and was interested in reading more. Good yarn with a lot of elements and leaves you wanting more.
on 12 October 2012
I think I have read most of Reynolds books and have found them to be entertaining, as was this one, but for all its pace, I just felt something was missing. Perhaps I have been spoilt by some of the books I have read in between (several from Iain Banks & Neal Asher) but this one left me wanting more, but not in a good way. There was a sense of anticlimax to it all.