Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.96

on 23 May 2014
I mainly bought this on the strength of those were the days
I was also interested to see what Mary sounded like on other material
i wasnt too disappointed this album was very enjoyable. what let it down
slightly was the idea of doing standards which as she says in the notes
was a test to see if she could do them justice They dont quite suit her voice
she has a pure tone in the style of joan baez What makes this collectionj
good is the extra bonus tracks which fills the cd up rather nicely
on 3 March 2017
Nice trip down memory lane.
on 18 August 2017
Quite a wide range of styles covered on her first album , perhaps too many . She did not care for all of them , and liked the Donovan songs the best . I must agree , they suit her very well ,though she does a fine job on several of the others . All in all a very pleasant album .
on 1 May 2017
very good
on 10 September 2017
No problems thanks all good
on 1 June 2017
Excellent
on 8 April 2017
I have bought many copies of this recording over the years. Being a complete and obsessive Beatles/Apple fan I have always enjoyed this album despite my general dislike of soprano voices. I bought the vinyl copy again because it opens with "Lord of the Reedy River" (by Donovan) as did the original recording. Replacing it on cd one is given "Those Were the Days" as the opening number and it didn't seem right. I first bought the album when it originally came out and was used to that configuration. Although Mary Hopkin has stated that she doesn't prefer this record to her other work there are some lovely songs on it. The Donovan songs she covered are particularly good, especially "Voyage of the Moon". The Welsh language song is also very good as is the George Martin penned "The Game". There are some unexpected songs on this album but I have always liked it very much.
on 3 April 2015
Mary Hopkin's CD Postcard.
I've just discovered that Mary Hopkin's original LP Postcard from 1969 has been issued on CD with 5 bonus tracks.I was a big fan of hers back then and bought all of her singles and LP's when issued. Personally, this was my favourite LP of hers back then, even without the bonus tracks, which are, the first track."Those were the Days" and the last 4 tracks. I think the CD is a beautiful collection of her music back then which can still be enjoyed today without sounding too dated.
But a couple of comments are needed.
The first one is about Amazon's description of the album in which it is stated that "Fields of St. Etienne" is released here for the first time, despite having been recorded back in 1969. That's not true as it was issued as the B side of her single Que Sera Sera. and according to Google was released in several European countries, some of them in 1969 and the rest in 1970.
However, I personally have an LP of her called "Those were the days" issued sometime in the 1970's. It really is a Greatest Hits album as it has 6 of her singles plus the B sides. One of those tracks is "Fields of St. Etienne"
The other comment I want to make is to correct one of the reviewers in something he wrote. The reviewer is Bluebottlethethird and his review is from July 2014.
He says Paul McCartney wrote "Those were the Days" for her.
It is a Russian Romance Song and the writer Boris Fomin wrote it in his lifetime (1900 - 1948)
Gene Raskin wrote English lyrics for it in 1960.
The already well established singer Sandie Shaw, recorded it at the same time, but Mary's version proved to be much more popular.
I am delighted to see both Postcard and Earth Song / Ocean Song are available on Cd now and I will be purchasing them immediately.
Always intended to transfer my LP copies to CD but I'm sure the sound quality will be far superior.
I also wonder is there any plans to issue the one I mentioned above, Those Were the Days on Cd.
on 20 April 2004
Out of all the Apple reissues released in 1991, Post Card was my firstselection. As a kid, I was fascinated with Mary Hopkin's vocal delivery ofThose Were the Days. Many years later, I found out that one of my auntsshared this particular fondness upon discovering that she had a 45 RPMversion of the song with the B-side that consisted of Mary Hopkin'sarrangement of Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season). Bythen, the single was too scratched and too worn to be deemed playable, andto try find a replacement on any tipe of vinyl (LP or another 45)wasvirtually going on a "wild goose chase".
Fortunately, I would obtain these two songs on this CD, along with otherdelightful remakes which include covers of Lullaby of the Leaves, YoungLove, Love Is the Sweetest Thing, and Someone to Watch Over Me, the lastof which is probably my favorite.
In addition to these old favorites, Donovan pitched in two contributionsfor Ms. Hopkin to record, namely Voyage of the Moon and Lord of the ReedyRiver, both of which finely suited her voice. Another asset for Post Cardis Harry Nilsson's The Puppy Song, a lovable track that was almostreleased as a follow-up single to Those Were the Days. Also contained areY Blodyn Gwyn and Prince En Avignon, two tracks not sung in English, thelatter in French and the former in Welsh.
All in all, the instrumentations of echoing strings are quite serene andreminiscent of the Burt Bacharach musical arrangements present in theearly days of A&M Records, which had in its artist lineup Dionne Warwick,Jackie DeShannon, and The Carpenters. If Paul McCartney planned for awholesome image on the Apple label, then his decisions to follow theadvice of Twiggy and hire Ms. Hopkin and then select these songs for herto put forth were most definitely apt.
on 5 July 2014
I had the vinyl copy of this without 'Those Were The Days' on it so when I saw this cd at a reasonable price it appealed to me. With it's mix of light pop and old songs it's a varied album and definitely shows the McCartney influence. As he produced it it's hardly surprising but it also displays his influence where song selection is concerned I suspect. Having written 'Those Were The Days' for Mary Hopkin which is an excellent pop song, some of the other songs tend to grate despite Mary singing them impeccably. I'm a big fan of McCartney but he does tend have a too varied mix of song style sometimes and I think this is the case here. It probably seems a bit too innocent and twee now and doesn't bear listening to too often. But this album is of it's time and if you're in just the right mood is enjoyable. But you have to be in that mood..