Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 August 2017
One of the greatest rock albums. A must-have just for the amazing performance of Jimi Jamison.
on 13 May 2000
If you have always wondered whose voice is behind the Baywatch Tv series then you will now know that this voice is Jimi Jamisons.
He appeared as Survivors lead vocalist and boy did he make a difference. This album is quintessential if you like great music. From the opening bars of I Cant Hold Back to the final bars of I See You In Everyone be prepared for some awe inspiring material.
The intro to I Cant Hold back caresses the heartstrings like no other intro. The Search Is Over is just amazing as is Everlasting. I DONT THINK THAT YOU WILL WANT TO LOSE THIS CD IF YOU DECIDE TO PURCHASE IT. IT MAKES EYE OF THE TIGER LOOK TAME WITH ITS EMPHASIS ON HUMAN EMOTION A GIANT OF GIANTS CD.
Although Survivor only chalked up two hits in the UK, their signature song 'Eye of the Tiger', and 'Burning Heart', both of which were used in the soundtrack to the 'Rocky' movies, these Chicago formed men had a further five top 20 singles in the American Billboard charts, and released six successful studio albums between 1980 and 1988.

1984's 'Vital Signs' was the band's fifth album, and spawned four hit singles, three of which: 'I Can't Hold Back', 'High on You' and 'The Search is Over' all met with top 20 success, with the latter two peaking within the US top 10. If you enjoy melodic pop-rock with a distinctive 1980s vibe, you really can't go wrong with these singles, especially the bouncy 'High on You', which is built on it's infectious rock charm, the powerful 'I Can't Hold Back', and the slow, emotional power ballad 'The Search is Over', with vocalist Jimi Jamison (RIP) at his most sternly and passionate.

There are several other very good songs here, including 'First Night', the only single which failed to make the top 40, the marvellous ballad 'Everlasting', and 'Popular Girl', which is fun from start to finish. The remaining two songs really aren't as strong, but still provide decent thriller, even though they aren't memorable as the others. Even after four or five listens, they probably won't have become stuck inside your head.

In 2011, fans were treated to this digitally re mastered reissue of 'Vital Signs' from the Rock Candy label, making the album sound better than ever. Particularly pleasing was to have 'The Moment Of Truth', which had provided these boys with another hit the previous year when it appeared in the 'The Karate Kid' film soundtrack, as a bonus track.

With superb vocals and faultless production, Survivor gave their fans another great album with 'Vital Signs', which may very well have been the best of their career, as I have a real soft spot for sixth album When Seconds Count, I can't really decide between the two. For those of you who enjoy tuneful rock bands like Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Bad English, and mid '80s Europe, then both of these records, classics amongst the whelms of AOR, are a must.
on 10 June 2001
Every so often an album comes along that you play, and you think, "Shit... this is a fantastic album, I love each track and can't put it down" Vital Signs is such an album if,.... you like the ballards and sing alongs of Bon Jovi,Europe, Van Halen and Journey. I bought Vital signs on vinyl summer '84 and played it to death, subsequent growing up, kids and house moves, I lost it, but now have a CD version and it brings back the memories of driving with it full blast singing along to each track. It is a wonderfully crafted album of great tunes, guitar ( not too heavy) clear vocals and a great production. The tracks vary from wonderful ballards " the search is over" to great up lifting popular rock "High on you". The fact is every track is fantastic, there are no duff ones here. if you are 30 something and want a classic 80 rock album - buy this on my recommendation. You won't regret it. Fantastic.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2006
Having loved Survivor since the eighties, I finally replaced my worn-out, scratchy LP with the CD and the more I listen to it, the more I pity kids nowadays who grow up listening to what is quintessentially plastic. Music that does not have any heart or soul, music that stems from TV shows such as Pop Idol, or, God beware, boy bands! Survivor's music has always gripped me and this hasn't changed one iota. The music is alive and vibrant and has not lost any of its fascination for me. These are musicians with incredible talent and Jimi Jamison's voice is just fabulous. I can ony recommend this album to anybody looking for real music that is alive with passion and beautifully peformed.
on 16 February 2011
I suspect that like many others in the bleak wastelands of a decidedly AOR-unfriendly early-1980s Britain my only experience of Survivor was 'Eye of the Tiger'. Although reasonably catchy, it was (and ever has been) tarnished by the association with Sly and the Family Stallone. And then along came 'Vital Signs'...

I don't recall where I first heard 'I Can't Hold Back' but I do remember being hit by a transatlantic brick wall. Who was this singer and how can anybody write a song that infectious? I picked this album up on vinyl and have never looked back, to be honest. The track listing flows beautifully, especially so when you consider that it was a two-sided affair. The pacier numbers never stop. 'It's the Singer Not the Song' pumps hard, 'Popular Girl' is irresistible, and the opening three of 'I Can't Hold Back', 'High on You', and 'First Night' leave you with such a smile on your face. 'Broken Promises' is my choice, though; just a top song with a chorus to die for.

The only chance to draw breath is during glorious ballads such as 'The Search is Over' and my personal favourite of the slowies, 'Everlasting'. Jimi Jamison's voice soars above the wonderful music of Jim Peterik and Frankie Sullivan. Although not a band blessed with musical pyrotechnics, they played with heart and sympathy for their subject material.

This album takes me back to a time when it seemed that AOR would take over the world. Sadly it was not to be, but those of us who keep the faith know what a precious piece of work 'Vital Signs' is. It's a band at the top of their game and all I can recommend is that you buy it as soon as you can.
on 11 April 2013
I had the original CD and played it to death, ordered the Rock Candy remaster and WOW the difference is actually unbelievable. I have bought a lot of remasters Dio, Rainbow etc but for sheer quality of sound it is a rare treat that the upgrade is definitely worth the price.
on 7 March 2016
Oh, the blatant lies one find here...

All these reviews heralding this Survivor (which is, basically, the poor-man Journey) album like a "masterpiece", an "era-defining album", etc... Gosh....

This is not even rock music. This is corny, gutless, scientifically planned cheesy pop, disguised as rock. Yes, maybe the album is very good in its own category (be it, corny, soulless, methodically crafted soft pop without heart), but I can'st understand all the praise.

Bear in mind the following: EYE OF THE TIGER (the album) is a much heavier/honest/hard album than this one (and all Survivor albums after that, to speak the truth). Dave much more "bite" in his singing style, and the band followed through. The guitar had much better effects and tone.

But Peterik and Sullivan went greedy after the outrageous success of Eye of the Tiger (the song), and gladly accepted the rock industry machinations. Result: total sell out, mediocre music (although music clearly produced by seasoned song builders...).

What a disappointment this album is. Heck, even WHEN SECONDS COUNT is better (or less worse).
on 25 May 2008
Survivor are a band who are primarily known for the song Eye of The Tiger which, although a very good song, was only the tip of the iceberg and they have many other excellent songs which are just as good, if not better, than that song. I've always loved Jimi Jamison's voice which is fantastic and very distinctive, and after leaving Survivor he went on to have success as a solo artist and also with other bands, but he recently rejoined Survivor. He's also the voice behind the Baywatch theme song "I'm Always Here" which, yet again, shows off his brilliant vocals perfectly. Vital Signs is packed full of great songs and there are no fillers anywhere in sight. I Can't Hold Back, High On You, First Night, Broken Promises, Everlasting and I See You In Everyone are standout tracks for me, but every track is great. Although the album is almost 25 years old there's still a freshness and timeless quality to the music, thanks mainly to Jimi's amazing vocals but also the overall excellent musicianship of the other band members. I can highly recommend this album. I wouldn't be without it.
on 16 April 2009
I had this album on cassette back in the day and remembered it as a classic. I can't remember what made me buy it again but boy am I glad that I did. It IS a classic - not a bad track on it. It also doesn't fall into the modern day trap of being too long. Great vocals, especially on The Search Is Over.
If you need cheering up play this loud. It never fails to have me leaping about.