Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 10 October 2006
Just when I thought I'd become a Delerium fan too late to ever see a new album released (I first discovered they had albums in 2004 after the release of 'Chimera') Rhys and Bill created this beauty. Now, even as one of Delerium's most devoted followers I admit that the vocal tracks are not their best ever on this album. In fact, the only one I really liked was 'Fleeting Instant' featuring guest vocalist Kirsty Hawkshaw. However, if like me, you are more into Delerium's more mysterious, lyric-less, instrumental tracks then this album will appeal. The tracks featuring Isabel Bayrakdarian are stunning and lovely ('Angelicus', 'Lumenis'; I never knew that Arabian/Middle Eastern opera existed or that it could sound so lush!) 'Extollere' and 'Sister Sojourn Ghost' both with Kathrine Blake and Mediaeval Baebes are worthy of mention, as are the 2 instrumental tracks on the album, 'Tectonic Shift' and 'Apparition.' Guaranteed to take you to other worlds and stimulate the imagination :)
on 20 August 2008
I have previously reviewed this album giving it 3 stars but having listened to it over the last few days it has grown on me immensely. And I mean I can't stop listening to it. I think I may have missed it first time round but their are loads of good tracks on here and I now see it as a great find. Some things just need a second chance.
on 19 November 2006
I had high hopes for this. Advance buzz promised a back to basics approach and a shift away from the pop-oriented style of 'Chimera' and back to the lush atmospherics of Delerium's most popular album 'Karma'. And certainly it is a move back to the style of that album, but alas not the quality. I heard a promotional version of 'Nuages Du Monde' a couple of months before it was released and, having been left profoundly underwhelmed by it, I was hoping that what I had was merely an unfinished demo recording. Sadly it wasnt.

The entire album has an unfinished, rushed feel to it. Many of the tracks meander and lack the structure, style and finesse we've come to expect from Rhys and Fulber. There's a very generic, half-baked feel to much of this, with abrupt and jarring chord changes and many tracks ending so abruptly that it starts to get ridiculous. Sadly, the pacing and quality is wildly uneven and I generally have to skip the first five tracks. Five tracks!! 'Angelicus' is a meandering plod which totally overuses the operatic vocals, while the first few seconds alone of 'Extollere' (a lame, bitsy remake of the far superior 'Aria') are enough to annoy me. Zoe Johnston gives a vocal performance in 'The Way You Wanted it to Be' that makes her sound melancholic to the point of suicide. I hope that some of the proceeds of this album go toward getting her some prozac. Even the excellent Kristy Thirsk (whose songs beautiful vocals are normally the highlight of any Delerium album) disappoints, delivering her weakest Delerium song ever. She actually sounds like Britney Spears during the chorus line.

Fortunately, things improve with the stunning and cinematic instrumental 'Tectonic Shift' (I REALLY wish we'd had more like this!), the atmospheric delight that is 'Lumenis', while the best vocal track on offer is 'Fleeting Instant' and the oddly-named but excellent Medieval Baebes track 'Sister Soujourn Ghost' also impresses. Sadly, these four excellent tracks are not enough to make up for the other eight which range from middling to downright poor. And you have to sit through the disappointing first half of the album to reach them. In short, 'Nuages du Monde' is a disappointment.

We all know that Leeb and Fulber have talent, but it's as though their hearts arent in this any more. This is a rushed and unpolished mess that sorely lacks depth and artistic vision. Delerium has become a paint-by-numbers affair which is a great shame. I can only hope that the next offering will have a little more inspiration to it. In the meantime, I'd be tempted to give this a miss and would recommend either Conjure One's last outing 'Extraordinary Ways' or the new Enigma album 'A Posteriori', both of which are everything that this ain't: ie, good.
on 5 October 2006
This album is staggeringly good !!!!! Dare I say better than Karma, Poem & Chimera !!! The opening Track (Angelicus) is stunning, so good in fact only track 6 (Tectonic Shift) is better, by far the best piece of music to my ears from delerium ever! When you hear it you can just imagine it to be used in some big budget action thriller, kicking in when the bad guy (or woman) is doing somthing really nasty. Listen & Learn !! Enjoy !!
on 9 February 2007
I was really looking forward to this release, having bought their last 5 albums. It is by far the poorest of the lot, the songs lack the structure and emotion of those on previous albums. The superb female vocals which have been an integral part of previous releases are sadly lacking here - only appearing intermittently. There are a few highlights - but unless you are an avid fan not enough to buy this ....[...]. If you want to try something by Delerium - and you should - try Poem or Karma for starters - both excellent 5 star albums.
on 18 February 2007
Being a recent Delerium fan, having spotted recommendations in the enigma section, I soon became hooked especially to Karma and Chimera. Nuages Du Monde is an excellent album but a little too biased towards the guest vocalists. The format is more of a collection rather than a musical experience, which you get with the earlier albums. I probably need some more listens to firm-up my review but at present it is a four.
on 16 August 2008
There are a couple of really good tracks on this CD but I must say that I find the rest of it a bit mediocre. The vocals are excellent and the arrangements well put together but for me it lacks depth throughout. Tracks 1 and 6 are worth buying it for.
on 26 September 2006
After a few years break, Delerium have come back with a album that is less than interesting. A variety of meek and seemingly dull tunes make up Nuages Du Monde. One can't help thinking was it really worth it? There are few delights on the album and nothing highly original in contemporary music production not even by Delerium's standards.
on 5 October 2014
Maybe not as good as Chimera, but has grown on me after listening a few times.
on 12 December 2014
One of the best, chillout groups around. You cant go wrong with Delerium.