on 5 July 2005
I brought this for my 6 year old son, as he listens to stories at bed time. After literally wearing out his audio tapes I found this on cd and thought he may like it, although I was a bit worried in case it was too grown-up for him. I had no reason to worry as he has loved it. He has listened to it over and over again. He soaks it all in and it has even given him such an interest in king arthur that he has been watching some old black and white films to see what the characters looked like. He has impressed his teachers and grandparents on his knowledge of king arthur and the knights, which is all thanks to this CD. I would highly recommend it and wish more old fables/stories like this were available for children.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2004
I listened to this with my 7 and 10 year old sons whilst driving them to school over several days. It was absolutely gripping and I could hardly stop myself listening to the next chapter without them.
0Comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2005
Before i bought this I read others reviews, they all gave it an excellent review so I bought it. We spent most of our holidays when travelling listening to this and we all from 5years to 40 loved the story, its fantastic.
0Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2007
If you are interested in this CD enough to read the reviews then take it from me, you are safe to go ahead and buy it. I got this CD for Christmas and it really delivered on every front.

The adaptation itself is brilliant. It covers most of the main events in the classic Arthur legends and gets through them at a cracking pace without ever compromising the epic nature of the stories. The classical music works very well and compliments the production nicely.

Sean Bean gives a first class reading. I've never been a big fan of his 'grim northener' srceen persona but here he uses his distinctive voice to great effect. Children who know him from the Lord of the Rings movies will find a lot to enjoy here,

The CD does not skip over some of the sexual elements and complicated relationships from the legends but manages to convey the events in a way that should be appropriate for most families who want to listen to this together on a car journey or something similair.

I can't give this CD enough praise. I listened to 25 - 30 audio books last year and this one really stood out as a wonderful production. When I finished I listened to the whole thing over again. It also sparked my interest in the Authorian legend and led me on to further reading, I can think of no higher recommendation then that.
on 3 June 2004
My son is 8 years old and we listen to audio CDs on our way to school because it takes us 45 mins to 1 hour to arrive. I bought this CD because I believed that he might learn something and I must say that he enjoys it so much that we have listened to it at least three times in a row! My compliments to Sean Bean as he does an incredible job to change the voices of the characters. I will certainly buy more books that are read by him. Arthur comes alive along with all of the other characters because of the great storyline and reading! My compliments also to Benedict Flynn for putting together a story of King Arthur that is thoroughly enthralling!
on 14 February 2004
I honestly have to say that I purchased this audio CD through Audible.com only to hear the beautiful voice of Sean Bean. I wasn't disappointed! Then, after hearing a great story, I purchased it again through Amazon for my 9 year old nephew. Sean does a brilliant job, that would keep any person, young or old, interested in hearing the story of King Arthur. Highly recommended!
on 21 May 2006
You will want to listen to it again and again. I am in my twenties and listened to it on the long drive to work. Suitable for all ages!
on 4 February 2008
Loved it, as do my 4yr old and 6 yr old. listened to it on the way to school and like the other reviewer had to stop myself carrying on once I had dropped off the children. So good to hear one of the classics as well, reminds me of my childhood!!
on 15 August 2008
I bought this for my five year old son to listen to for our holiday in France. The idea was to entertain whilst driving - it was fantastic - both me and my husband loved it just as much as our son. Sean Bean has a wonderful voice - a great story teller. It had us all in tears - magical! If you are thinking of buying this - go for it - you wont be disappointed!
on 20 June 2005
Great sound effects, great narration! recommended to kids from ages 5-10.