Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Together
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 October 2017
The four tracks on this CD (17mns alltogether between the ultimate and extended remixes of "Together", "Glad all over" and "I cried for us") were all produced between June and September 2010. This is incredibly fast and consdering the quality of the music, pretty spectacular.
We said all the good things we thought about the title track in our review of the first CD.
The second CD is actually better (there are an extended mix and two new songs on top of the "Ultimate mix" of Together - which we were at pains to distinguish from the "Radio mix").
The extended mix, produced by Tim Powell, is beautiful and enhances the quality of the song - this is an old style remix that does not try to re-invent the wheel but it makes the song proud.
In-between the two versions of "Together", that talk about the possibilities of a beautiful, long-term relationship, the Boys have inserted two songs as B-sides. One produced for an encore during their Blackpool concert ("Glad all over" - a cover of a 1960s song), and the other (also a cover) as a tribute for the death of Kate McGarrigle, the mother of Rufus Wainwright ("I cried for us"). Both are depicting the two sides of a relationship (the enthusistic beginning and the sorry end) and as such this CD is magnificently thought out.
Muscially the two tracks are superb - tribute to the original songs, but as cover specialists, the Boys manage to make these two songs their own - difficult to choose one over the other - they are spot on and make the rest of the PSB canon proud.
A really good CD.
on 29 November 2011
This is the better I think of the 2 singles options (i have both), you get 2 versions of the single Together, which I think is brilliant, shame though you couldn't get the video too on the single.

extra songs include:

"Glad all over" - this is the Pet Shop boys version of an early 60s hit by The Dave Clark Five and a victory anthem for Blackpool FC!

and also:

"I cried for us" (see product discription for more info).

I think the Pet Shop boys get better with age, Together is my favourite of all their songs and I think it was too little played on the radio, when it came out, its way better, I think, than some of the more regular oldies that often get played to death on our local radio station (usually the same 2 or 3). Together also features on their 'Ultimate' album.
on 5 June 2014
I gave 'Together' a go out of curiosity originally, after some unconvincing reviews on Amazon. After initially being not too fussed, it grew on me after a few listens. While it's fair to say it's not their greatest song, and I can also see that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, it's a high energy track and one that I've actually come to really enjoy especially when turning the volume up on my mp3 player, hence the 5 stars.

'Glad All Over' and 'I Cried for Us' are also good in their own ways too, but aren't songs I feel the urge to listen to particularly, just personal preference though of course!
on 6 December 2010
I'm a big fan of the Pet Shop Boys, but despite countless listens, this track is just not up to the standard of previous releases and falls far short of anything on their previous album Yes. As with Yes, it has been co-writen with Xenomania member Tim Powell, but still remains a big disappointment.
on 10 December 2010
Well, a new release from the Pet Shop Boys. I have been a fan since the early days back in '84 and I can offer a true unbiased review due to an extensive knowledge of the music industry and also my favourite electronic band, The Pet Shop Boys.

'Together' is definetely not their strongest release of recent times and choice of singles i agree off the last few albums have been a let down. If I was their manager, their marketing needs an overall change in strength and direction. For an example, 'Did You See Me coming' from the UK Number 4 Album 'Yes'(their highest entry in over 10 years) was on the freebie newspaper '25 Hits' and then released as the follow up to the disappointing 'Love, etc', therfore had little interest even though should a quality single, again with a poor low budget video in support.

As with the 'Christmas' EP of 2009, we have cover versions, which addd to the excitement for fans of the boys. And this year we have 'I Cried for Us' and 'Glad All Over', both of which have clear Pet shop Boys identity in their own right, and also sound more like Pet Shop Boys of old, less prooduction, more true identity.

The 2nd CD 'Remixes' highlights to me that the 'Extended Mix' should in fact have been the natural choice for release to radio stations, as it has more emphasis on the baseline riff which is reminiscant of the 'Please' days and is not dissimilar to Adamski's 'Killer'. And the new 'Grum mix' of 'West End Girls' is a definitely catchy update to their opening Number One Single from 1985.

All in all, I am not disappointed as a true lifelong fan. Quite how the Pet Shop Boys remain in the public eye and produce Top 40 Hits ('Together' disappointingly being the 1st single ever to not chart in the Top 40 (Number 48 if I stand correctly), is a bit of a worry, but the fact is I think as a Live Band they have improved no end and I think their career success and public profile has been tamed by lack of live concerts, which they seem to have upped their game on in recent years, albeit i hope not too late.

I think that the next album, which I believe is schedules for 2012, has to be a monster, maybe goung back to their electronic routes, back to basics and some top duets may not be a bad idea.

Life without the boys would indeed be a tragedy, as they have so much talent and still write the most catchy intelligent pop tunes in the world today.

'Together we'll go all the way'.... lets hope for many more years to come Mr Tennant and mr Lowe.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 December 2010
..ok..not my favorite track either..but a pretty good song..compering to singles such NYCB, Home & dry, I'm with stupid and Miracles, which I think were most PSB week songs..I am Quite happy;
it is not another Flamboyant to close the compilation (which I think the release was definately not essential)..
..but it is my opinion..love 'boys' to bits but have a bit strange taste;

..still think 'BILINGUAL' was a very good PSB album and also that 'MINIMAL' should have been a first single fron 'FUNDAMENTAL'
on 30 November 2010
To be honest, it's not my favourite PSB single - although it does grow and the remixes work well. But the 4 stars are for the cover versions - particularly 'I Cried For Us' - perfect.
on 3 December 2015
Rather go for the older PSB songs
on 9 March 2015