Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 5 June 2014
As a lover of The Hunger Games, I decided to check out Collins' other work. This series totally blew me away. Despite being pitched towards younger children (perfect for 9-10 year olds) it has all the depth and integrity of The Hunger Games and has even better character development. The plots (in all five books) are thrilling and action-packed, but there are some meaty, though-provoking scenes and a whole range of ethical and moral dilemmas are raised. The characters are brilliantly described (particularly Ripred who I am very fond of) and I simply couldn't put the book down until I had completed their journeys. As with The Hunger Games, Collins doesn't shy away from killing main characters and this gives the stories a depth and maturity that other children's books simply do not tackle. I read the entire series from start to finish in a few weeks and was blown away. As I am a teacher of 8-10 year old children, I then took the books into the classroom and read them to my class. I've never had a reaction like it. Every single child in the class bought the entire series, would read enthusiastically when before they had struggled and would burst into class every morning simply to tell me what had happened in the last chapter.

I adore The Hunger Games but I think I would say that Gregor the Overlander is even better. Simply fantastic.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 April 2015
I loved the Hunger Games and was interested to see what other books Suzanne Collins had written. Initially I was put off buying this book as it seemed to be aimed at a much younger audience, however I took a chance and am so pleased that I did! This book was excellent! Beautifully written and I adored the characters of Temp and Boots and the wonderful relationship they shared. This book made me laugh but also kept me up at night as I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the next chapter. I will definitely be reading all the books in this series and can not recommend it enough. Great read for all ages.
on 11 June 2012
My son is 10 and up to now has only really read Beast Quest, which is fine but somewhat limited. We went to see the Hunger Games at the cinema and he loved it! While not yet ready for the Hunger Games books he was very excited about reading something by Suzanne Collins and really took to Gregor.

As a result he has since read the first sequel, has requested the other three books too and has moved on to reading other more challenging (and well-written) books too.

I am delighted!
on 29 November 2015
Good but not as good as the Hunger Games series, also shorter books than I'd thought
on 22 March 2018
This book got my 11 year old back into reading! Need I say more
on 18 June 2014
An excellent book,Suzanne Collins Isn't afraid to describe the bloody happenings in this book,however ensuring that it's germane to the story and not just for the sake of adding Gore to the tale.A good read but not for very young readers.
The Graduate
on 1 May 2016
Great read, if you liked the hunger games you'll love this.
on 13 January 2016
An enjoyable read. recommended for younger readers who like the hunger games style
on 1 May 2017
Not what I expected when starting the story. By the 4th chapter I was hooked.
I probably will rethink my opinion of cockroaches.
on 18 August 2017