on 9 July 2009
I'd looked at the Evoke-2 series a couple of years back but we'd got a decent boom-box that still worked well so in true "don't replace it 'till it's bust" style I ignored temptation. Well, it bust and to be honest, I wish it'd expired a bit earlier!
The Evoke arrived sooner than expected and was up and running in minutes. The result? Loved it. It's neat and unobtrusive, sounds great, goes louder than I'd ever need and has a good display. My wife commented on how good it sounded as soon as she heard it and has found it easy to use.
Personally I'd have liked an aerial socket. It works perfectly from the extending aerial but the rod sticking up spoils the look and I'm sure will one day be responsible for removing one of my eyeballs!
Otherwise great. Only time will tell if it's reliable but so far, so good.
11 Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2009
It's a great radio - lovely sound - but ... I'm on my second one now, and it still has problems. The first one wouldn't turn on under battery power (the optional Chargepak). So Amazon sent number 2. This one - wait for it - won't turn OFF under battery power.

Here's the good bit. Pure's technical person said that I'd need to download something 'onto my PC' from their site which would fix it. I use a Mac. "Sorry, we don't support Macs". "I don't have a PC, so can you sent me a new radio that works?" "No, because we've solved the problem". "Solved the problem? The problem ISN'T solved - the radio still won't turn off - you just want ME to fix it".

Basically, as I understand it at the end of that conversation, any replacement radio that a retailer might have in stock would suffer from the same issue and would need the fix downloading and installing. So I'm deeply unimpressed. Pure have sold a radio that doesn't work properly. Owners are then expected to fix the problem themselves, and they not only have to have a computer to do it, they have to have one type of computer. I don't know about Pure. I'd say that was Poor.
2828 Comments| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2014
I bought this pure DAB radio with some trepidation, when I read some of the reviews. I have been pleasantly surprised at how clear the sound is. It's very easy to set up with the digital stations as the machine does all the work. It is portable as well & it is easy to take it from room to room & either use the mains or the internal battery.
I would highly recommend this radio.
on 13 January 2010
Great sound, practical and good looking. It has lots of really useful features that makes listening so much more fun. Thoroughly enjoying using this radio. Great stuff!
on 29 January 2009
Great radio.

Plus points: Good sound quality on both DAB and FM, even given low bit rates on DAB, and it will go very loud. The display is clear and smooth-scrolling. DAB sensitivity is extremely good and this is the only DAB radio I have that doesn't need an external aerial for some of the weaker stations. However, it does need the aerial well extended and under kitchen work units this is not always possible. Fortunately, an external aerial can be used with this radio, unlike the Evoke Flow. Low standby power consumption, an option to vary display brightness in standby, very useful alarm settings (weekdays only, for example).

Minus points: One minor annoyance - the claimed 50 presets require scrolling through a list for anything higher than preset number 6. Other radios just require the + button pressed to step up, so for 6 buttons, 1 would become 7, 2 become 8 etc. With this radio you might just as well scroll through the entire list of available stations as it's scarcely slower than using presets and only involves using one control. It's a big enough box to have some room for a few more preset buttons that would have been far more convenient. Minor gripes - a usb or sd card mp3 player would have been nice at this price point and the stepped volume control makes getting the right very low volume level for late night bedside listening a little awkward.

Overall highly recommended.

John
on 13 November 2009
Forget FM: the reception is poor, and, incredibly and annoyingly for a product of this quality, there is no FM external antenna socket.

Otherwise I am very pleased with the build, ease of use, DAB reception and quality of sound - on which PURE have certainly made a good effort. This is a real portable, especially with the separately purchased battery pack. As such its volume output is pretty good, but it will not fill a large room with really loud sound as some non-portables do.

The separately purchased i-10 ipod dock is neatly designed with a handy remote control, and it charges the ipod. But I find the volume output really disappointing - well below the radio output, putting everything on maximum. This is a feature of the dock: if you attach the ipod directly with the audio cable, the volume matches the radio output.
on 6 February 2013
The Evoke-2S is a 5 star radio provided that you are not one of the unlucky ones who has received a defective one. The chances of you receiving a defective one are relatively high judging from the large number of complaints on the internet and my own experience.

I have had an Evoke-XT for a few years and was delighted when I first bought it and it still works perfectly. However, I now bought an Evoke-2S and am less than delighted with it. Apart from minor glitches when being first set up and which are easy to overcome, the signal strength dropped every few seconds resulting in screeching / squeaking sounds interrupting the program. This happens about 5 to 15 minutes each time after switching on and continues for about 1 to 3 minutes, after which the radio functions without any problems. I put the Evoke-2S in the same locations as my old Evoke-XT, which has no signal drops as I live in a strong reception area, but the screeching / squeaking problem continued in the Evoke-2S. I tried re-setting to factory settings and re-tuning a few times but could not overcome this annoying defect.

I then arranged for it to be returned and bought a new Evoke-2S which performs like a 5 star radio. I wish Pure would improve their quality control to avoid wasting customers' time and annoying them to the point that they would be wary of buying any product from what should be a great British company.
on 15 August 2010
If you are looking for a top end DAB radio then this is for you. I thought long and hard before i bought this but i haven't regretted it one bit.
Most radios start to vibrate when the volume is increased. However, not this one! I was supprised with the bass, clarity its weight real quality product superbly finished.
I recommend the rechargable battery pack (not the original too expensive).found a cheaper version (amazon) works as-well.
on 31 December 2013
Overall I like it, but there are some areas where Pure could definitely do better. I also had an older version of this model, the Pure Evoke 2XT, which I recently gave away, so I can comment on how the design has developed. I am a music technologist, but will try to avoid any techno babble. I have had the unit for about a month.

The good points first:
* Good sound quality with a decent bass response for its size. The bass reflex port on the underside works effectively.
* Nice styling.
* Easy to use, although the older model was easier to use. (Which is why I gave the older model away, ease of use was top of the list for that user. I was searching for a radio that my mother could use, but came to the conclusion that the older version was the best I could find, even after comparing with all the DAB radios on the Web and in Curry's stores.)

The bad points or areas that could be improved:
* Some clicks when turning the unit on from standby. I don't know if this is a design fault or a manufacturing fault. It is minor, so I'll see how it goes.
* One time when turning it off, it immediately came back on, at full volume! Certainly woke me up. It only happened the once, so again I'll see how it goes. But this does suggest the use of some poor quality components, or poor finishing in the build, which is a shame, because most of the components are obviously of a good standard.
* The metal mesh speaker guards have a tendency to resonate with some frequencies. I tested this by tapping them and seeing if they ring like a tuning fork (bad) or have a dull thud (good). These had a slight ring to them, which I was able to lessen by tensioning the guards. This was more of a problem on my old model and I was able to fix the problem on that as well, but most users would not know how to do this. Pure should improve this design to use a material that does is less likely to resonate. If these metal guards are not tensioned correctly in the final assembly then the good sound quality can be ruined.

Overall a good radio which probably has the edge over the competition in terms of sound quality, but definitely wins on ease of use, although Pure have taken a step backwards compared to the older model.

In terms of value for money, there are some good sounding DAB radios out there for much less money, but few have the same ease of use, styling and sound quality. Few also have the same build quality, but I think Pure are letting themselves down with the finishing. There are some minor faults here that could easily be ironed out of the design and manufacturing process.
on 13 January 2010
I vowed I would never buy another Pure radio again after a string of problems with their Evoke Flow model. However my elderly mother wanted a wooden radio and I bought her this one. It"s what Pure do best. Simple to use and great sound. Just steer clear of their plastic offerings in the model range.