on 29 September 2009
A delight from start to finish and I sighed over every description of every wonderful meal, from the first sole meuniere that started her love affaire with French cuisine to the boeuf en daube that was Julia's last-ever supper at her home in Provence - as she returned to America, aged 80, but still looking forward to new experiences.
What a wonderful character Julia is and how I admire the joie de vivre she was born with. An inspiration through and through, especially as she was a late-starter in her career.
Much more endearing than Julie Powell's book (Julie and Julia, the book of the blog/movie) which was marred by sour tempers and bad language.
Julia was a heroine ... a real lady. Is there anyone out there still like her? How I wish they'd show her programmes on British TV. Bon appetit!
on 20 December 2013
The content of this book was as I expected and quite OK, as I was interested in Julia Child and her work. I found, however, some aspects of the format in this Kindle edition not entirely satisfactory. I found many chunks of the text changed font size, back and forth, and occasionally some groups of words had no spaces between them, very annoying. If I had bought a paperback edition it would have cost about the same and been consistent in quality. I can't imagine an excuse for what I found in reading this Kindle edition.
on 6 August 2015
I love it! Watched 'Julie and Julia' (DVD) so many enjoyable times. Reading the true story is a revelation! Still reading and am amazed how much Julia Child achieved during her lifetime. It's an honest and informative narrative and her love affair with France is plain to see. Her success on television in the 1960's must have inspired so many to cook the French way. (Have bought 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' too. Can't wait to read her wise words).
on 2 October 2012
This is a necessary addition to any book shelf of fans of Julia Child. We get a close look at Julia's life and relationships in this book and although it is a large book the time flies while reading it as it is very interesting and enjoyable. The book covers a huge amount of detail about her life before she met Paul and their marriage and afterwards when he died. A wonderful book beautifully written.
on 3 September 2015
I was inspired by the film Julia and Julia to buy Julia child's cook book .I wasn't disappointed. As the film was based on Julia child's experiences in France I was intrigued enough to go with an autobiography (not my usual read) , it was charming and funny , and I just loved the way Julia's love for france , and her determination and passion to cook , teach, and write progressed.
on 14 October 2015
This lovely book, written by someone who truly loves food, is a masterpiece of wonderful creative cookery. Anyone who has read a cookbook, hoping for inspiration for supper, will appreciate the dedication of this woman who arrived in France a novice & went on to become a most respected champion of French Cuisine. An inspirational book in every way. Recommended.
on 15 August 2012
I was recommended this book by a friend in a book group who has great taste ( no pun intended) in books, I struggle through the book but found the woman boring, spoilt and so full of herself . Endless tales of I did this I did that better than anyone else and badly told. I appreciate her cook books might fantastic but this was not for me.
on 17 January 2013
I loved reading this account of Julia Child in France and how she began cooking. Mastering the art of French Cooking is a classic and since watching "Julie and Julia" I was inspired to begin French Cooking again. My only grouse is that the kindle version was disappointing, the type etc was not consistent.
on 23 November 2012
I enjoyed reading about Julia Childs and her great passion for French food.
I had seen the film 'Julie and Julia' and loved it. And I felt that I had Meryl Streep in the room with me as I was reading the book. My husband always says 'bon appetit' now, before we eat in a Meryl sounding voice.
on 12 September 2015
I bought this book many years ago and sold it during one of my many moves. It is so good to have it back, an enjoyable read from beginning to end. Highly recommended for anyone who has Julia Childs recipe books on their shelves