on 28 August 2014
I really found this book very helpful as someone who has used js for years and sometimes come up against some strange ways that developers do things. Sometimes they seem like good devs but get this part of the trade wrong. This book helps you confirm what is good and what is often trying to be too clever and the devs writing unreadable code. This busts them big time. I am yet to fully complete the book but already rate it well.
on 29 October 2017
Brilliant book. Opens the mind to the power of JavaScript. Prior JavaScript knowledge definitely required in my opinion. Very pleased with the book.
on 17 August 2011
Excellent book. Really interesting!

I would love to say that I understood every word, but I'm not quite there yet: it does delve into some quite complex topics. (This is not a beginners' book and does require careful study.)

Everything is explained very clearly. But given the complexity of some topics I think certain chapters or sections could be expanded upon a little. But perhaps this is just me making excuses he, he.

O'Reilly books, as always, have excellent print and production quality.
on 11 August 2017
Very good read and well tailored to JavaScript in a modern time.

I particularly liked the extensive section on MVC variations and implementations through different JS frameworks.
on 5 November 2016
As a web developer with a what i thought was a decent knowledge of javascript i found this book very very good. It's now my go to book javascript book with many different ways to solve different problems.
on 25 August 2016
Good book - my wife bought it and used it to learn more for her job as a developer. She's always talking about design patterns - I think this is what she was talking about!
on 8 March 2015
Avoids falling into the trap of simple 'hello world!' tutorials. Instead the focus is upon on well designed code and good practices for writing maintainable JavaScript code. If you already understand the basics of programming (even if you're completely new to JavaScript) I'd suggest skipping the simple tutorials and jumping into this, it's both easy to follow and very informative.
One person found this helpful
on 25 April 2017
A good book which has improved my Javascript.
on 15 August 2012
This book is not for newbies. It successfully translates the most popular programming patterns to JavaScript. Very wide knowledge, I call it the "new age JavaScript" ("new age" in a good sense ;). If you're fairly new to the subject, I'd point you first to my favourite JavaScript book of the same author - "Object-Oriented JavaScript".
One person found this helpful
on 1 March 2016
Javscript Patterns is a very good read and excellent in improving one's Javascript skills. It was one of the Javascript books I have read that haven't made me go "eh?", and scratch my head. For sure, it's one to keep in your library.