Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 18 July 2012
This book goes into the dynamic nature of the language and teaches methodologies and routines to write code that may be reused and extended, and is understandable to other programmers in your team. If you develop medium to large scale websites, enjoy writing your own libraries and love to keep your code tidy and efficient, than this book must be next to your keyboard.

This is a book about best practices when writing JavaScript code, so you should be already confortable with JavaScript programming.

The text is clear and fluent to be red through, but also easy to browse as a reference book.

I just think the 'design patterns' chapter is somewhat 'light'. If you never heard about design patterns, you should learn it from elsewhere. I think this book is more about 'best practices' and JavaScript OOP, than actually DP.
on 3 October 2012
if you have read the definitive guide and Crockford, this book should be next on your list. I have been coding in javascript now for about 18 months or so and this book has been really useful
on 13 December 2011
I bought this book partly based on reading bits of it first and partly based on other reviews. I was not disappointed. I have used Javascript on and off in my spare time for a few years but have only recently decided to try to get more professional about it. Having just finished reading a big thick guide I found this to be the perfect follow up. It provides a very useful and interesting insight into best practices, presented mostly as patterns. I enjoyed both the content and the author's style.
on 5 May 2012
I learned a lot of things on how JavaScript works behind the scenes. I always thought that I knew how JS works but this book explains most of the good patterns of doing things but it also shows some anti patterns and axplains why they are wrong.
on 28 August 2011
First I have to mention that this book is NOT for beginners! The author adresses advanced JavaScript topics and goes deeper in about what's going on behind the scenes of your JavaScript code. What do you create behind the scenes when you create an empty object or function. How to write maintainable and fast code, what is currying, the module pattern, chaining (like the jQuery library), ... After reading JavaScript: the definitive guide and John Resig's Pro JavaScript techniques, this is the perfect book in line!

Thanks Stoyan!
on 17 August 2011
Excellent book. Really interesting!

I would love to say that I understood every word, but I'm not quite there yet: it does delve into some quite complex topics. (This is not a beginners' book and does require careful study.)

Everything is explained very clearly. But given the complexity of some topics I think certain chapters or sections could be expanded upon a little. But perhaps this is just me making excuses he, he.

O'Reilly books, as always, have excellent print and production quality.
on 25 August 2016
Good book - my wife bought it and used it to learn more for her job as a developer. She's always talking about design patterns - I think this is what she was talking about!
on 1 July 2014
Most helpful javascript book I've ever read! It helped me to understand callbacks and how to program common javascript pattern.
on 14 February 2015
A good book. I would definitely recommend. I found it to be very informative and answered a lot of unanswered questions.
on 1 September 2016
This is an important book to read for someone who want to master Javascript. I will recommend it to anyone, anytime.