on 17 February 1998
A crime has just been committed, and it is up to Agatha Christie's renowned detective, Mr. Poirot, to solve this one. This time the victim is a passenger on the Orient Express, a famouse early twentieth century passenger train. By coincidence, Mr. Poirot ia also traveling on the Orient Express, and quickly takes on the task of finding the killer. His task, however, is not an easy one, because, as he digs deeper into the case, he finds some suspicous information concerning the victim and his fellow passengers. The Murder on the Orient Express is one of Agatha Christie's truely excellent novels. Agatha Christie uses her innate talent for writing to develop some wonderful characters. My favorite, Mr. Poirot, has such class and intelligenge. He uses his charm to his advantage in solving the case. The reason I enjoyed this book so much is, it was written so that I could speculate on who committed the crime, however when the criminal was revealed to me I was in shock. The case seemed so complicated, yet it was really quite simple. I am very much looking forward to reading more of Agatha Christie's work.
on 16 October 2006
This novel is widely feted as Christies masterpiece, due to the fact it is the most dramatised, but it does not comapre to 'The ABC murders' or 'And Then There Were None', or even 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyed', that said it is one of the most devious. If anyone solves this murder before the conclusion (and without prior knowledge) I would be very surprised, and essentially that is what we want from Christie, a conclusion that is a complete revelation.

At first, I must admit, the conclusion seemed very far fetched, but then one goes away and considers it is not really so, and that the cryptic clues were all in fact directing us to the truth.

The thing I love about Christie, apart from her undeniable geniues, is her style. I mean, it is so easy to read. Her descriptions are so cursory they essentially allow our imaginations to roam, and everyone will have a different mental image of scenery and events. The characters are very much of their era, and very quaint.

If you want a true puzzle, if you love Christie, or even if not, this is essential reading. The clues are all there for the reader, but if you piece them together and breach Christies twist (I term it as such, because all her novels essentially contain a twist, that if you can see through it the story falls into place), you will adore this book.
on 30 December 2001
As my eyes couldn't run across the page fast enough I was begging with my housemates to reveal the impossible ending that was coming towards me like the express train itself.
Luckily they didn't. There are few books that make one speechless after reading them but this was mine, though after my initial awe I bleated my admiration of the author to everybody I met.
Although I am normally only a fan of Miss Marple in Agatha Christie's works, she weaves her wand of compassion over Poirot and the passengers of the train, allowing the fabric of reality to settle around a moral conclusion which grips you and pulls you until the last.
Although a relatively young reader I appreciated it with memorable vigour. Make sure you have a spare day because it will not leave your sight!
on 23 February 2006
The talents of Mr. Suchet are amazing. He just reads the Hercule Poirot books as he plays them. He has many different voices for all the different characters. You never get tired of listening to his voice! I can highly recommend all the Poirot books read by David Suchet(I have them all)!! A 5 star plus! I hope he will read many more.
on 19 January 2017
I’m not really sure how, but after watching Poirot for a number of years on the TV I managed to never see Murder on the Orient Express, this at least meant that the plot was fresh to me and no surprises ruined. I have only read a few Agatha Christie and she is still an author I am beginning to discover.

Most of the action takes place in the same place, aboard the Orient Express with a Poirot being asked to look into the murder of an American Tycoon. One by one he interrogates each passenger on the train and in true Christie style he discovers that the majority have a motive and a hidden past. We see the little grey cells at work and soon he begins to see through the acts and subterfuges, eventually cumulating in one of his famous suspect get together, where the truth is ousted.

This was a strange book, because two thirds of the way through I thought I had it all sewn up and really thought that the plot was a bit ridiculous and Christie had used the ‘coincidence’ card a little too much, but when the ending came I realised just how brilliant the plot actually was. Definitely worth a look whether you are a fan of Christie or not and what better place to start than probably her most famous novel.
on 12 May 2011
I have been a fan of Agatha Christie ever since I saw "Death on the Nile" on TV. I bought this fascimile edition of "Murder on the Orient Express" with the fascimile edition of "Death on thye Nile", and I have to say... they are wonderful! It feels like you are holding a first edition! It even has an ad for the Crime Club, with the enrolment voucher! Even the faded letters! And the story was very inventive, with a VERY surpsising ending! Read the book before you see the film! And buy this edition!
on 11 April 2007
The first Agatha Christie book I've ever read. WOW. Amazing. I think she hypnotized me. I couldn't put this book down! Everything about the book was great, the characters, the plot lines, I was extremely sad to learn about the incident/tragedy that started all the plotting though. Poirot was hilarious as he was so blunt at times. I am definitely going to read more of her books. Bring on the mysteries!!!
on 1 November 2010
I loved it. But quite clearly, you have to like vintage who-done-its in order to love any Agatha Christie story - certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

And with David Suchet as speaker - perfect bliss!
on 7 December 1997
This is the first Agatha Christie book that I have ever read and believe me, it really made me wanna read much more. The beginning started off a little slow, but as soon as I got to the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. The basic plot is that a murder has occurred on a train filled with strangers. It feels terrible to know that you will be stuck on a train for at least 2 days(this is because of a snow storm) on the same train as a murderer. The victim is an American kidnapper, so detective Hercule Poirot tries his best to question all the passengers, trying to find someone who is involved with the kidnapping case. The end is very unexpected, but I wasn't too happy with it. Overall, I suggest that anyone who loves mysteries and suspense read it soon!!!!!!!-Reviewed by Preethi
While I love mysteries, I must admit my knowledge of the early masters of the genre is very limited. I’ve only listened to a handful of Agatha Christie stories on CD over the years, for example. Still, over the years I’d had the ending to Murder on the Orient Express spoiled for me. When I decided to listen to it on CD recently, I was wondering how that would affect my impression of the story. I need not have worried; I still loved it.

Hercule Poirot had hoped to have a few days to spend in Istanbul on his way home from a case in Syria, but when he arrives, he finds himself being summoned back to England. Even though travel is usually light in the winter months, he still has a hard time finding passage on the next train, only getting on because he is friends with someone who works for that particular line.

On the train the first day, he is recognized by Mr. Ratchett, an American who asks for Poirot’s help since Ratchett is in fear for his life. Poirot refuses for one simple reason, he doesn’t like the man’s looks. Something about him really bothers the detective.

However, that night, Ratchett is indeed murdered in his first class sleeping compartment. Since the train is stuck in a snow storm, Poirot is asked to help find the killer. It is quickly determined that the killer is still on the train, but the clues at the crime scene point to two very different killers, and all the passengers seem to have alibis. Can Poirot solve this case?

It was actually fun reading this story knowing the ending. (No, I’m not going to spoil anything.) Even then, I couldn’t quite see how Poirot was going to figure it all out. I was in awe as he worked the solution out over the course of the book. And yes, it is a logical ending. Even knowing what it was, I wasn’t sure if I would buy it or not, but I did completely.

I’ve heard that Agatha Christie isn’t super strong when it comes to characters, but I didn’t feel that here at all. We have a large cast, and I didn’t have any trouble keeping them all straight. They were real enough to make me care about the outcome, and I felt for some of them as the story progressed. That’s important as the case draws to its climax.

So I’m glad to finally know the full story of Murder on the Orient Express. No matter whether you go into the story spoiled or not, this is a book you’ll enjoy reading.