Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

on 16 October 2016
I started reading this just before I went on holiday, which was a mistake because I just wanted to read it all the time which was a bit of a struggle when I was doing 12 hour days at Disney and Universal.

After the events of the first book I knew things were going to become a lot more dangerous and complicated for Tessa, Jem and Will, both in their relationships with each other and with their lives. You can really tell how well thought out the series is when things happen in this book which relate back to events in Clockwork Angel that didn’t even really seem relevant. You see how Mortmain has been preparing for things for so long and the more you learn about him the more sinister he seems.

I know a lot of people don’t enjoy love triangles on principle and I can be put off a book because of a love triangle, but if it’s well done then it doesn’t bother me at all. This series has an incredibly well done love triangle. I can’t even pick a side because I love both the guys and I can tell that whatever happens I will have my heart broken in the third book.

We get to learn a lot more about each of the characters in this book, Tessa becomes a lot more confident in her abilities and as a person on her own, we get to see more of Jem and how wonderful he is, and we finally find out why Will acts the way he does. I don’t even want to talk about how upsetting Will’s back story is, I just want to give him a big hug.

There’s so much Magnus compared to the rest of the books in the Shadowhunters verse than we’ve seen before and I was so happy to read the parts which featured him, he’s so a wonderful, loveable character.

I can’t believe that I’m finally getting towards the end of the shadowhunters books. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get to Lady Midnight, it’ll be weird having to wait for a new book.
on 21 March 2013
Tessa Gray has found a home at the Institute with the Shadowhunters but this might not last as the Clave might replace Charlotte as the head of the Institute if they cannot find the magister in a fortnight. Tessa, Will and Jem have to find out about the Magister's past to understand what he wants and why he hates the Shadowhunters. At the same time Tessa is trying to hate Will after how he treated her on the roof but she is finding it hard to stop her feelings for him, however, at the same time she has grown really close to Jem but will she be able to choose between the two of them.

Clockwork Prince is the amazing second book in the Infernal Devices series with romance, humour action and a well written love triangle. I love the references to what is to come in the Mortal Instruments as it really connects the two series together.

The characters are the same people that we come loved from the last book but they have grown in strength and are even more complex. Thought I normally hate love triangles this book is the exception as I don't know who I want Tessa to end up with and I don't know how Clare will resolve it without hurting anyone.

I love this book and cannot wait to see how this series ends with Clockwork Princess. I would recommend Clockwork Prince to readers of Clockwork Angel or the Mortal Instruments series.
on 20 June 2013
I thought it was about time to start this series. I will say now that I haven't read anything from Cassandra Clare before, I understand that this series is a prequel to The Mortal Instruments. I haven't read it.. should I?

I thought Clockwork Angel was a fantastic read. I was easily gripped reading it over 2 days. I think there was enough given in the story to set itself up wonderfully for the next two books.

Cassandra Clare's writing style is fabulous. She writes Victorian London incredibly well. She really made me picture it and feel like I was a spectator actually in the book as the scenes unfolded. I thought Cassandra has written an incredibly imaginative world. I liked the idea of Nephilim, Shadowhunters that protect humans from mystical creatures. There were demons, warlock, vampires and much more besides. It wasn't a predictable plot at all.

I thought Tessa was a great female character. I LOVED that she was a book lover. I liked that Tessa was such a strong character. She wasn't feeble and wasn't overly dependent on the males around her. I loved that she had a sensitive, caring side too. Jem and Will are wonderful male characters. They're completely different, but both appealing. I found Will particularly intriguing, probably because the main focus of the book is on him. I'd like to read more about Jem in the next few books.

Clockwork Angel had enough action to keep me turning the pages. It had some great humorous moments too. Clockwork Angel certainly left me wondering where on earth I'm going to slot Clockwork Prince in to my huge to be read list. It might have to be sooner than I had anticipated...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 April 2012
The sequel to the absolutely fantastic "Clockwork Angel" had a lot to live up to and a lot of questions to answer. Cassandra Clare throws us straight back into the magical underworld of victorian London (the same world we see in The Mortal Instruments series but dating much earlier) picking up almost straight where she left off.

Those of you that have read the first installment will remember the cliffhanger: Will, desperate for help (but we know not of what he needs help with), approaches Magnus Bane (the warlock)...and then the book ends. Well this next book tells us exactly what Will is after. Additionally, and something that I really loved, was the character development. If you're anything like me the last book will have left you with tons of questions about Will including his past and present and thankfully Cassandra Clare delivers ALL of the answers. Similarly, you might have a fair few questions about Tessa..what is she? Warlock? Not a warlock? We don't know. And to be honest, although a bit of light is shined on this subject we learn very little in terms of concrete answers.

But, this doesn't matter - who cares if Tessa is still a bit of a mystery? The thing I wanted to know was who would she choose - Jem or Will? I found it so difficult to choose who I wanted her to pick and even after the decision is made (I know?! She actually chooses!) I still wasn't sure if I was happy or unhappy about her decision. But that's what is so fantastic about these books, if it was easy it would be boring!

The story itself has so many twists and turns in it that I was desperately trying to gobble my way through it so that I could find out the end results. I urge anyone, young adult and adults alike, to give this series ago. If you enjoyed the first you'll love the second just as much (I loved it more!). I won't go into the story itself because I think the blurb actually does a great job and I'd hate to give anything away - just know that you're in for a great read. Hope this helps.

*Also, some of you may have noticed this is the "Collectors Edition". What this basically means is, you get a short story at the very back of the book about Jem from his perspective when he first met Tessa and a letter Will has written (the one mentioned in Clockwork Angel) to his family. Great additions but very short segments.
on 5 March 2017
it didn't disappoint. I love all the Shadow-hunter books and I love the way they intertwine with each other. I had already come across certain adventures from the viewpoint of others, such as Magnus Bane and it was interesting to see the same event from the viewpoint of another character. Tessa Gray is a lovely character and I look forward to the next two books
I started reading Clockwork Prince as soon as I'd finished Clockwork Angel, eager to continue the story that had so gripped me. I was most definitely not disappointed!

Rejoining Tessa, Will and Jem right where we left them, Cassandra Clare continues the previously begun journey whilst opening new doors.

Tessa attempts to learn more about herself and to figure out the dark corners of her heart, but I was happy to see that she remained true to herself: a Victorian young lady dropped into the middle of magic, science and mystery and with two very handsome young boys.

Although we came to know Will and Jem in Clockwork Angel, I was thrilled when we got even further insight into their past, personality, character, hidden desires and workings of their mind in this amazing sequel. Seeing them develop was great and has left me wondering where they will take us next!

What initially appeared to be an intricately designed plot, turned out to be an out branching devious master plan, reaching in places I had not suspect, with unseen plots and characters that took me by surprise.

Tessa and her friends had me racing down London streets, attending demonic masked balls and trying to figure out what the enemy's plan actually is. Needless to say I have tried and failed miserably.

When reading this sequel I felt I had never left Victorian London in the first place. The style of writing was faithful to the ambience whilst maintaining a magically scientific mysterious edge.

Clockwork Prince had me gasping out-loud, blushing and shouting "No!" at every twist and turn. It was a sequel that had a lot to live up to, given the extraordinary Clockwork Angel, but it met and exceeded all my expectations! Given Cassandra Clare's success so far in writing these amazing stories, I can only begin to imagine what kind of finale Clockwork Princess has in store for us! Question is how are will we cope whilst waiting to find out!!!

If you liked this: I would recommend The Mortal Instruments series. A not entirely dissimilar or similar series that I would also suggest is "Die For Me" by Amy Plum. Beautifully cast in an architecturally artistic area of Paris, sheltered from tourists another paranormal YA story unfolds.
This is the first book by Cassandra Clare that I have ever read.

The intricately complex world she created completely ensnared me with: magic, action and fighting, inexplicable technology, romance and a dash of murder mystery.

Tessa Gray was a character that I quickly came to like, admire and root for; although occasionally I admit to wanting to physically jump into the book and bash her head against the wall for completely missing the obvious! But then again getting laughably irritated with the characters, as readers is a good indication of how involved we come to feel as the story advances and the plot thickens.

Cassandra set her story in 1878 victorian London, and I admit that initially I thought that this had been purely done to make things more interesting, but that it would not be necessarily much respected in the language, character's thoughts, events etc. I was very wrong. Tessa's thoughts, behaviour and reactions are faithful to those of victorian young lady. Her companions and other characters that we meet along the way, also very much reflect what could be expected back then combined with hint of knowledge of the unknown.

Unlike most paranormal YA although the love theme is present and important, it is not overpowering. It's more like a constant undercurrent, that starts like a weak stream and slowly builds into a strong flowing presence. This steady growing love, promises to be pivotal in the sequel.

To say that I absolutely enjoyed every bit of this steady paced book is an understatement, and I would definitely recommend it to those who like this genre of paranormal YA. Normally this would be exactly the kind of story I would gobble up in a day but due to work it took me 3 days. I admit to staying up until 3am just to get a few more chapters in, and that consequently I turned up for shift work looking like a zombie. But honestly it was really worth it!!! I have already sunken my teeth into the sequel: Clockwork Prince, which promises to be just as good as its prequel.
on 2 January 2013
A big fan of the Mortal Instruments I think this book is better than the first of the Infernal Device series and better than all except perhaps one or two of the MI series. A really enjoyable read.

Summary: The London Institute is under threat from two sides; from the intelligent and seemingly undefeatable Mortmain but also from Benedict Lightwood, who wishes to take the London Institute from the Branwells. Charlotte, Henry, Will, Jem, Jessie, Tessa and the servants of the Institute have only a limited time to find Mortmain or their home will be taken from them.

Full of twists and turns;
-We learn more about Will Herondale
-Tessa lets go and starts to love someone
-We see the development of Henry and Charlotte's relationship
-Magnus Bane's back story is featured
-We glmpse at the possibility of how the Lightwoods from the MI series come into being and run the NY Institute
-We're left with a cliff hanger, opening new doors for the thrid book.

A really enjoyable read and better than the first of the Infernal Devices I feel. Hope you also enjoy it.
on 1 January 2013
Review: I thought that this book really built well on the characters and relationships that had been set up in Clockwork Angel and I really found myself getting invested in them in a way that I didn't with the Mortal Instruments.
I don't generally like love triangle stories, I tend to like my fictional relationships to be more straight-forward or with outside forces keeping them apart rather than just not being able to chose, but I found myself becoming really attached to Tessa and Jem. I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed though which is a shame.
I still think that the book is fairly sexist with Tessa not really having agency and relying on the men in her life to protect her but I don't mind that too much given the setting.
I really enjoyed the book and was actually quite disappointed to find out that I now have to wait for the next one.

Favourite character: Tessa Gray

Favourite quote: "You cannot buy or drug or dream your way out of pain."
on 13 December 2016
I chose five stars as I really think these books are amazing! The magical world seems so real and actually believable.
The character's are also brilliant. I don't want to give any spoilers so I will just say this second book does not disappoint. It keeps you wrapped in this amazing and magical world and not quite ready for it all to end