on 3 June 2011
I'm a very budding amatuer and my camera gets some use almost every day. Had a spot of money trouble and my previous tripod broke, so as a stop-gap i got this one. To be honest when it arrived it looked great, had all the bells and whistles and was indeed very light weight. Unfortunately with a digital slr and lense attached to the top of it its rather unsteady and at full length i wouldnt trust it in the lightest of winds. I'd say that for a complete amateur this is a brilliant buy. For anyone slightly more advanced, its not up to scratch.
55 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2012
Looked around one or two sites for tripod to suite my needs read the reviews on Amazon regarding this tripod Triad 40 Lite it was just what I was looking for the 360 lock in system works a treat, fully adjustable legs and the function for reversing allowing you place your camera underneath for macro shots is very useful comes complete with carry case
overall this tripod is very sturdy made from alloy and is fairly light compared to some I've tried don't think you can go far wrong for the money most places you would pay as much if not more just for the 360 ball head fitment?
on 2 May 2014
This is certainly the most 'travel friendly' tripod that I have. The thin legs do flex a little, but what else can one expect in such a compact tripod. I'm glad I bought it and I definitely carry a tripod more now than I used to.
on 17 January 2015
Handy inexpensive tripod. I think it is good, but I would not even think about using this with a heavy camera or my heavy 300mm lens. It is fine for what it is designed for, a travel tripod for amateur use.

It is compact when folded (just over a foot long), but no lighter than the mid size carbon tripod I have. Being able to tuck this into the bottom of my work bag is very handy. It seems robust so far. I have used it on a trip to Seoul and found it easy to set up. I have not tried it in the wind yet, I suspect it will be ok if I don't use the centre column (which is not too easy to tighten properly) and with a bit of ballast (using the attached hook). The supplied ball head is fine, it has 'pinch' mechanism, like arca swiss, but it is not compatible with arca swiss dimensions.

It is solid enough, the legs are a little stiff when folding back on itself, but that is ok. I did manage to pull one of the legs apart by over-loosening the twist lock mechanism once. Luckily this was indoors so the internal sliding plates were easy to find. I will report back if this happens again.
on 3 September 2013
I have been using this tripod for about a year & found it reliable & suitable for all conditions i have yet come across, unfortunately returning from a recent trip i found that the screw component used to lock the ball head had been lost. I e mailed the hahnel website & after giving details of the lost component they sent a replacement quickly and without charge. Customer service is fantastic & should you be considering a general purpose tripod,purchase with confidence.
on 8 February 2014
I am very impressed by this tripod - don't be mislead by my 4 star rating, its just that I am sure there are better tripods available if you want to pay the price and how would I rate one if I could afford to buy it. The tripod is sturdy enough for my camera (Canon 500D) with a 300mm lens and has a hood below the centre post to add a weight or ground anchor to steady it even more. It easily folds to a reasonably smaller length while its opened height is high enough for me (not tall) to look through the viewfinder with a) bending over and b) without the centre post being raised.
It has 3 spirit levels incorporated, two at right angles to each other on the swivel head and a third, circular one, on the centre post.
The oil damped head allows for steady panning but might be too damped for fast movements - I don't know if this can be adjusted. The quick release head is a pleasure to use - I've not used one before and it is a revelation after trying to screw cameras onto a tripod. All in all, I am very pleased particularly for the price.
on 23 June 2016
Are you a Micro 4/3 user? Do you need a travel sized tripod? then if so this tripod seems to fit the bill. No I'm not employed by Hahnel, I am a Olympus M4/3 user that needed a tripod of good weight and compact size at an affordable price. I feel the tripod may be a little flexible at full extend but for me, I don't fully extend my tripods anyway. I like to know that i can place my EM1 with the 40-150 2.8 pro lens and battery grip attached (Quite a bit of weight….nearing 3 ½ kilo's) on to the tripod and hold a steady photo session even in the wind. I've also achieved 60 second long exposures with the EM1 coupled with the 12-40 2.8 pro lens and Cokin nuances / Formatt filter holder attached with NO movement visible in any image taken. This also straps up well to my backpack with all the equipment needed for long walks, travel photography, wildlife photography and so on.

A welcome addition to any enthusiastic photographers gear.

I am a ex-professional photographer of some 30 years with 26 national image awards.

[...]/TheHeanorTog
on 19 July 2012
I'm really happy with this and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
It's well made, well designed and very versatile.

Being able to turn the centre section upside-down and mount the camera on the underside instead of on top isn't something I'd really thought about before buying but is actually something I've ended up using quite often and is a real stand-out feature.

It's nice and stable but can be a touch 'springy' if you need to use it fully extended, this might be an issue if you have heavier duty equipment but if you have pro-level gear I imagine you'd be spending more on a tripod anyway, and would also have to put up with carrying a heavier tripod. It's all I need for my plastic DSLR or vintage cameras and you can get around this by using self-timer delay or a remote control/cable release to take your shots, as you should anyway to get the best out of a tripod.

It's a ball-head tripod, so if you like pan-head tripods better this probably isn't the one to go for!
on 13 January 2012
I recently was in the market for a new tripod and I wanted something versatile, light and flexible for my needs. I am not a professional but have a 'knack' for taking odd photo's that require some degree of maneuverability and flexibility. The 360 degree rotating head and quick release works like a charm and the smoothness of the movement when the camera is perched on the tripod is excellent. The quick release is sturdy and is ergonomic. All in all, the tripod is good for an entry level purchase and the little spirit level is definitely a plus to ensure that you're on flat ground.

A bonus of the tripod was the little hook it has to take photos that require macro focus. I am more of a landscape photographer, but this opened up a whole new world of macro photography for me since now I had a steady hand and a great stable tripod to experiment with.
on 19 December 2012
This isn't a feather-light travel tripod, I wouldn't want to carry it around for very long. Likewise, it isn't stable enough for camping out all day at a sporting event with a 400mm lens.

It is, however a very well built occasional use, general purpose tripod, one of the best I've seen and almost certainly the best value. It strikes what, in my opinion is an almost perfect balance between weight and stability. Given the choice I would have made it a fraction lighter at the cost of a little stability, but it is pretty close.

It has some nice features not usually included in a tripod in this price range.

If I had to complain about one thing it would be that the 'Macro Photography Feature' they shout about is a bit fiddly to set up. Reversing the tripod so the camera mount in on the bottom shouldn't be as complicated at they make it, but it isn't a feature I use every day so it doesn't bother me that much.