Customer reviews

Now That's What I Call Xmas! [2011]
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 December 2010
This compilation comes out every year with just a couple of changes from previous releases, so if you bought it last year or the year before, it's probably not worth buying it again.

That said, this is a great Christmas compliation, sure to keep the party going, and at a decent price for a triple CD.

There are a few pleasant surprises included among the selection, such as Bert Jansch and Sinead O'Connor, but the usual suspects are there for the most part - John Lennon, Slade, Wizzard, etc.

I do have two slight gripes about the compilation though:

1. Many of the songs on here are not performed by the artists you would want to hear performing them. Nobody wants to here "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by anyone other than Mariah Carey, "Mary's Boy Child" by anyone other than Harry Belafonte or Boney M, or "Last Christmas" by anyone other than Wham! This problem is most apparent on the tracks which had originally featured on Phil Spector's classic Christmas album. Obviously there must have been licensing issues, because you would not choose any of the alternative versions provided here over Spector's masterpieces.

2. Too many of the songs are not actually Christmas songs. They may be very pleasant, and a bit wintry sounding, but among others, "Swinging on a Star" and "Winter Melody" are definitely NOT Christmas songs. ("Winter Melody" in particular is a deeply depressing song, and certainly has no place here - listen to the lyrics!)

To boil it down, this would have been better as a more focused double CD, but it should keep all but the most determined Grinches happy.
22 Comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2011
first ever now thats what i call series i ever bought this christmas one 3cd set great not many songs or singers on it i've not heard of classic tunes eg white christmas by bing crosby east 17 stay another day from matt monro to cliff richard well worth buying sound great through headphones helps to get you into the spirit of christmas
on 3 December 2011
Well, I give this three stars as it's an above average Christmas album with a large selection of tracks, my only slight problem is while Amazon does list the tracks, it doesn't list the artists, so for example "All I Want For Christmas" is not the Mariah Carey version, it's a much less popular Samantha Mumba version, which isn't very good in my opinion, so basically just a quick warning to people, make sure you check exactly who's on the album if that matters to you, don't just assume it will be the most popular version of a song because it's on a "NOW" collection.

Anyway, all in all, still a good Christmasy album that should keep most people happy.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2011
For years I have listened to my Dad's old Christmas CD, but as I'm about to move out I thought it was time to get my own. My only conditions were: it had to have Slade, Wizzard and The Pogues, plus some more modern stuff and NO CAROLS or complete turkeys. This CD was the best one that I could find which fullfilled these (not perfect, but most other CD's weren't as good as this).

It's got a good range of songs on, old and new, with most of them being the originals. The covers are all pretty good too, after all, a Christmas song is a Christmas song no matter who it's sung by. My only real disappointment is that 'Last Christmas' is an instrumental, no vocals at all. There are a couple of songs I will probably skip past, but I already knew they were on there (just put the songs into YouTube and check if you're not sure if you'll like them - that's what I did).

Just a warning, it's virtually the same (if not identical) to the green covered version that came out a year ago, but it's as simple as reading the CD listing - if it's the same as your current CD, don't buy it (which I would have thought was pretty obvious).

I am very pleased with this CD and am looking forwards to listening to it properly next year. Plenty of songs to keep me busy all Christmas long :D
on 21 December 2010
I think we all dream of finding the perfect Christmas album with the songs that we all associate with Christmas, but having looked for many years I don't think that is going to exist - we all have to find the closest to that or buy 2 or 3 CDs to cover everything.

This one is pretty close for me though, as it covers the older classics that we all know well, the classics from a time when Christmas songs were well crafted rather than rushed releases to sell as many copies as possible, and a few from recent years.

I'm glad to see a few less typical Christmas songs like 'Fairytale of New York', and '2000 Miles', but there are some glaring omissions, particularly where a more recent version has been substituted for the best known version. We have Kylie Minogue singing Eartha Kitt's classic and Winter Wonderland by someone I've never heard of when there are some great versions out there (far too many to list).

Not bad overall and great value with the majority of the best known Christmas songs on it. Definitely a 4 star product, but a few bloopers prevent it from being a 5.
on 16 January 2015
I recieved a damaged box and was immediately sent out a new one. I would definitely buy from these sellers again. The cd itself is great, with some old classics and some new versions. I have to admit i much prefer the Mariah Carey version of 'all i want for christmas is you. .. '
Very happy
on 22 April 2012
This is a fun CDs, contains all your favourites, least favourites, and a few in between ;)
Fab for parties or get togethers at Christmas, or just to play to yourself if you need to get in the mood (I loved listening to it while wrapping presents!)
on 28 December 2010
This Cd is a must for Xmas and defiantly one of the best ones around. There are 3 CD's packed full of Christmas tunes and this is a CD that I'll be getting out every year. I love it.
on 9 December 2011
I thought that at long last, I had found a CD album with ALL my Christmas favourites on it - but how can you replace Last Christmas by Wham! with the poor State of the Heart version? And why put the Samantha Mumba version of All I Want for Christmas on here, instead of the Mariah Carey original? Terrible decision! Also there's no sign of Shaky or Gary Glitter either (although that last one is understandable),
As a result, this falls short of being a perfect collection, but it's a really decent album, and is almost brilliant....just not quite.
on 4 September 2012
Love it! has all my favourite christmas songs. I bought this CD because my original christmas cd start to skip and had alot of scratches on it (well it is 15 years old!) so i thought it was time to buy a new CD and this one is perfect, it has all the old classics and the songs, even though i ordered it around christmas time the delivery was quick but i would reccommend buying this CD well before christmas as it came just before christmas day.