TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 June 2017
A superb read. 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' does not disappoint. Set in a small village, amidst gossips and where everyone knows everyones business, Roger Ackroyd is murdered in his own study. M. Poirot has come to settle in this same village, looking for rest and relaxation (and the growing of marrows!) and, as he realises that he is becoming very quickly tired of the quiet life, a murder drops into his lap. With the typical country house and a small cast of suspects he sets about his ingenious solving of the crime. The book very much revolves around the narrative where absolutely nothing is irrelevant and absolutely everything is relevant. Plotted with meticulous detail. Agatha Christie has chosen the village doctor to be the narrator here and it's very much in the Hastings vein (the doctors sister, Caroline, provides much amusement as a chief gossip monger). The denouement is surprising (although the clues are there!) with a vicious twist in the tale. M. Poirot, however, misses nothing. We see him bring the suspects together for a finale although the final pronouncement is a highly personal one. An excellent read that really does stand the test of time (written in 1926) and the first Agatha Christie novel to be dramatised for stage (as 'Alibi'). Not to be missed and best devoured in one sitting. You will not be disappointed.
on 12 July 2017
Many claim this to be Christie's best.
It is a good read but with careful thought the murderer can be identified quiet early on.
No Hastings or Japp in this story, I always think they make her books more interesting.
I find this more contrived than her earlier books.
Is it her best? that is down to personal opinion,I am of the opinion it is not her finest work.
on 21 August 2013
I decided it was time for me to open up one of my all-time favourite Agatha Christie books for a re-read. I've now lost count of the number of times I have read this book but I still enjoy it enormously.

This is a Hercule Poirot murder mystery and in the story he of the "little grey cells" is in retirement (as if!) attempting to tend to veg marrows when the death of a neighbour, a wealthy widow, occurs. Of course Poirot investigates. The narrator of the story is another neighbour, Dr James Sheppard; he steps into the role of sidekick to Poirot in the absence of Captain Hastings. The murder of Roger Ackroyd follows hard on the heels of the first death. The Ackroyd home is stuffed full of suspects including family, friends and staff. Nicely paced and cleverly plotted, the story contains classic Christie touches such as more than one character having something to hide and wrong doers relying on split second timings. The book is famed for the wonderful twist at the end, which still divides readers, and even though I know what is coming I still marvel at the ingenuity and can cast my mind back to the out-and-out surprise of the first time I read it.

An inspired and standout 5* mystery.
on 28 November 2017
After reading so much obvious crime fiction, this was a breath of fresh air.

The book that changed crime fiction forever. I knew the premise and reputation of this book before I read it. In case you do not, I am not going to give the game away.

This book is a very clever and subtle piece of plotting. If you want to write crime fiction, grab a copy and learn the art. See how many traps you fall into and how plausible and obvious the truth.
on 17 March 2016
This book was written with the usual formula except that Hastings has been replaced by the local doctor as Poirot's sidekick. The suspects are introduced to us, the clues presented and we are left to work out the identity of the guilty party. In this instance I did consider that person as the perpetrator but rejected them, and I also picked up on another important clue which I can't mention without giving the game away! This is definitely a good crime novel and if you enjoy Agatha Christie books you will like this one as it is one of the best I've read so far. However, if you are looking for a can't put down thriller then Agatha Christie probably isn't for you.
on 22 June 2015
Beautifully crafted.

A later case in Poirot’s career, it occurs in his ‘retirement’ to the countryside after Hasting’s departure. But with the mysterious suicide of the close friend of the local aristocrat, he is drawn into a puzzling case where the smallest details, from the position of a chair to the colour of a pair of boots, are the difference between life and death.

As usual, the writing is crisp and wonderfully humourous when humour abounds and dark when mystery multiplies. But the reason this rivals the Murder on the Orient Express to be my favourite Christie novel of all time, is the ending. Poirot gathers the suspects in his classic showdown, but what happens next is so revolutionarily extraordinary it will literally knock you off your seat! Seriously, it may be better to sit safely on the floor when reading the ending...

It is utterly ingenious. And once again, I had no clue whatsoever. READ NOW.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2013
I remember reading a number of Agatha Christie's murder mysteries as a teenager (some time ago), and understood that many considered 'The murder of Roger Ackroyd' to be one of her best. However, because someone had told me the twist, I never got around to reading it. At the time I considered 'And then there were none' and 'Mrs McGinty's dead' to be the best of those dozen or so I read.
Despite knowing the ending here I decided to tackle Roger Ackroyd. It's written in the classic Agatha Christie style of uncluttered prose, with Hercule Poirot (perhaps the best detective character ever written) solving the case through casual conversations and enormous leaps of logic based upon small apparently insignificant scraps of information. And therein lies the magic of Christie's Poirot; we like to try to spot the items of significance but never can. In reality the plotting is full of unlikely events, coincidences and extravagant conclusions, but it's lightweight and enjoyable all the same.
on 25 May 2015
This is classic Christie. Sometimes, a whodunnit becomes pretty clear before the end. This one doesn't. The reader's suspicion falls on one character, then another, then another and back again and so forth. Even as the truth was beginning to dawn, I was rejecting it, expecting yet another twist.
The chronology baffles me slightly - this book is early in the Poirot release line, but refers to the Hastings episodes as happening in the past, where in publication order, they haven't happened yet. Perhaps my information is wrong. Nevertheless, this is a fantastic story. If you are only going to read one Hercule Poirot story, make it this one
on 6 March 2017
Christie utilises a surprisingly simple and straightforward narrative, which is coupled with simple plot twists that’ll leave you stupefied. It’s refreshing to read such a modest novel and if you’ve never read one of Christie’s works before, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd will make you a lifelong fan.
on 7 March 2010
Classic Christie with some special twists that make it clear why this is one of the most popular of Hercule Poirot's adventures. When Roger Acroyd is murdered the help of Poirot is quickly enlisted to find out which of his friends/family was the culprit.

It's interesting that Poirot's usual assistant, Captain Hastings, has been written out 'to the Argentine' and the narrator's spot is taken by one of the characters close to the victim - the local doctor. This provides a good point of view as it's someone who knows and can explain the characters' backgrounds, and who doesn't understand Poirot - whereas Hastings would have come to expect things. Unlike some of the Marple novels which have this structure, it doesn't feel as if the detective has been shoehorned in, but is there as a natural extension of his own ongoing narrative.

The Christie clichés are still present - the large country house full of suspects, all of whom have motive, opportunity and secrets (but then that's integral to the mystery). It's amazing that I can read these still without seeing through the clues. I need to remember in future that nothing is mentioned by Christie without being relevant, even tiny things - it was not until about two pages before the reveal that I fell in, and everything that had been mentioned clicked. Christie really was a genius.

So yes, it's a good book and it certainly had me fooled, although a couple of bits were a little 'meta' - with the doctor writing the narrative forming a part of the narrative, and even lending his manuscript to Poirot. A satisfying mystery.