on 18 September 2015
I bought this as it was recommended by several sources even though the book description seemed dry. I'm glad I did as this is proving to be a gem of a book ...
I have only read the first four chapters and they are written as a biography full of fascinating scientific information. As such, information is presented in a 'conversational' manner and easy to digest. This makes the book a delight to read and I'm learning new information all the time
If you are interested in bees in any way, not just beekeeping, then I would recommend this book as a 'must read'.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 July 2014
Excellent book. Clearly written. Lots of diagrams and illustrations. Lots of carefully observed experiments to find out how/why honeybees swarm and how they decide on a new home. As new bee keepers we are keen to read as much as possible on the subject. This is of the best book we have found about this aspect of bee keeping.

Also recommend 'The Barefoot Bee Keeper' by Phil Chandler on the subject of Top Bar Bee Keeping.

Have ordered another book by Thomas D Seeley 'The Wisdom of the Hive' which is extra-ordinarily expensive. I've managed to get it cheaper but still a lot to pay. However if it is anything like this one, which I'm sure it will be, it will be worth every penny. I shall review that when I have read it.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2014
Tom Seeley's book is a classic text it explains many features of swarm behaviour that was either previously suspected but not proven or completely unknown until he conducted his research. It goes into great depth but is written in a very friendly easy style that's a joy to read, it really is one of the best books on bee behaviour written in the last hundred years. For the beekeeper it provides invaluable insights into bee behaviour which can only assist in our efforts to understand this amazing little insect.
7 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2018
I read this book knowing very little about the life of bees. It left me wanting to try beekeeping! An enchanting book that touches your heart as well as provides you with detailed scientific data. You cannot help but fall in love with these marvellous insects..as well as Seeley's writing!
|0Comment|Report abuse
Nice book lots of technical information and good illustrations, would recommend. Author works in Cornell University, Ithaca, New York as professor of biology.
Steven Carter - Beekeeper - Colchester.
on 28 March 2018
excellent book - excellent service
on 24 October 2012
This week I've been joking about Tom being my new best freind. I've been carrying this big book around with me all week and LOVING it. Fantastically complex science, explained with perfect simplicity. I'm wide eyed and in awe. I really recommend this book. It gives a great insight into honey bee behaviour and was helpful in helping me study for my BBKA modules.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
This is a fascinating read. The author is an authority on bee behaviour and the details of his discoveries are described with elegant precision. It's an astonishing insight into the mysterious world of bee communities.
on 15 April 2018
Superb.
on 16 December 2013
This book arrived in good time and turned out to be a most informative read giving me much to share
with my fellow Apairist. It is well presented, but a little heavy to read on ones lap, it needs a cushion
to ease ones arms/