on 19 December 2011
After having much trouble selecting the right encoder, it will do what you expect!

On Mac OSX, I selected the recommended >motion-jpeg< encoder, audio sync was out, I've had this problem before on PC, so I tried the DV encoders, DVC-pro & DVCpro-50, this had rock solid audio sync but expected 768 wide capture res - this device max is 720.. so result was distorted.

Choosing >>Apple Intermediate Codec<< provided excellent encoding quality and rock-solid audio sync. For a bargain price and choosing the aforementioned codec all is sweet - do this and it will save you sweat and tears!
on 23 June 2015
Does not capture or save uncompressed AVI files. The software provided has no option for AVI capture or saving files as AVI.

Software also kept crashing despite a clean istall with no errors or warnings. I contacted Climax Digital who didn't specifically address the crashing issue but simply suggested installing 'free' third party software - Debut Video Capture - to get AVI option.

The Debut software does indeed support AVI (and didn't crash) but video still appears slightly compressed if not as much and could not get any audio. Speakers were on and composite device line-in enabled with levels turned up and all other audio functioning as normal :/

The biggest annoyance is that this 'free' (unlicensed) version of Debut only allows five minutes recording at a time! I have to buy the full version at around £30 (a special offer) to record for longer. NCH Software (who supply Debut) have not responded to enquiry over audio issue which I wanted to resolve before buying full version. However, had no reply. It seems you have to purchase full version to get any technical support questions answered and pay extra for this too. Unfortunately the VCAP800 does not work with Virtual Dub, which is FREE.

Climax Digital did offer refund but I would of course have to pay the return postage. I decided to keep product for low-key transfers but the hunt is still on for a better quality solution at an affordable price.

There appears to be a major gap in market here. The choice is either very low cost video capture products offering questionable tranfers or high-end solutions costing hundreds.
on 27 February 2015
I first tried this on a MacBook Pro 2013 and after a bit of work managed to get the video capture working ok from VHS, but the colour needed a bit of tweaking.
I used miDVD to make a DVD of the captured video with mixed results, worked ok on Apple DVD player but wouldn't play well on my main DVD player which is a PS3.
I then tried installing it on a Windows 7 laptop and it worked really well, the captured video was better quality than on the Mac, I then used the captured video to make a DVD using Windows dvd maker, looked great, played well on everything.
I would definitely recommend for windows 7, not so sure for the Mac, but maybe a bit more setup and a better DVD creator would have helped.
on 18 May 2012
I bought this as I wanted to use my Mac Mini as a DVR for a cctv camera at home. My outdoor camera is not wireless so I needed a video capture device that can receive the camera feed and work with a software called "SecuritySpy". Having been stung before with a similar product called EZCAP, which didn't work on the mac at all, I was sceptical that this would do the job. I am happy to report that after months of continuous use, it's still working. It's been connected to my mac with the camera feed for several months and the picture has been perfect all this time.

It has the feel of a high quality product and no doubt it does all the standard video capture / recording perfectly. However for my needs, I couldn't be happier with it.
on 5 January 2013
I have used this on an iMac (OSX 10.8.2) copying from a Canon UC Hi8 recorder - it is faultless. I have copied direct to an external network storage drive in .mov format for editing in iMovie and then creating DVDs in iDVD. It came with both Windows and OSX software and licence keys for both. The software installed easily and I used the default settings which has given perfect movies for editing from the master tapes. I agree that the enclosed instruction manual is not comprehensive and difficult to read but you can download a .pdf version from the ClimaxDigital website. The readme file also contains comprehensive instructions. In summary it does what it says - when you follow all of the instructions!
on 22 April 2012
Googled and ended up buying this product and I am delighted I did, easy to set-up and has enabled me to get my old videos etc onto the Mac, follow the instructions provided and all will work. No loss of quality either in sound or picture and transfer is completed in real time, so if a long video be prepared to "be about" until completed, also has a function to record only what you want through the push of one button! I had to contact seller after purchase and found their response clear and effective, response was provided quickly! Never used this type of product before and after purchasing Climax Digital have no concerns, other family members have also availed of this converter, worth considering!
on 6 July 2012
This is a great product. Bought it almost as an 'impulse buy' at the checkout because I had had a vague notion of converting a load of old VHS tapes to digital. I am glad I did.

I have installed it on an iMac hooked up to a Sony VHS player. I installed the software, entered the key then plugged it in. The 'grabber' window came up and I pressed play on VHS. Up crackled the film left in the player when I unplugged it about 3 years ago! Hitting the button on the device starts recording so I captured my first minute or so of video.

This is when I hit a little annoyance - no sound. Checked all the cables, then found in the menu. It was set to record from Line In, rather than the USB device. Changed the setting and, hey presto, sound!

The only other slight annoyance is that you don't press the record button on the device to stop, you click a box on screen. A little counter-intuitive but certainly nothing to lose sleep over!

However, these really are just minor grumbles. The recorded file sizes are large, however, the excellent Handbrake soon whittles these down to a more manageable size.

My next little job is to hook up the little Freeview box I have kicking around so I can record stuff off there too!

All in all, I would certainly recommend this device to anyone looking to completely digitise they past life!
on 10 June 2013
I got this because I intended borrowing a Hi8 player to transfer my old tapes to my new Mac. There's no other way I could think of doing it with that kit. However that didn't work out and eventually a colleague lent me his Digital 8 camcorder which covers digital and analogue in/out and has Time Base correction to boot.I'm waiting for an adaptor to join my mini dv to Firewire 400 cable to a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adaptor (the compatibility problems never seem to end).
In the meantime I've been using the analogue outputs on the camcorder and this digitiser into the USB port on my iMac and it has been very reliable. The only problem has been that I managed to disable audio recording in the Videoglide software and it took me a while to work out how to get it back. I had to disable audio support in Tools/ Audio Toggle However I think that is just a complication of making the device work across a range of equipment.
on 21 February 2014
Hopefully the title tells you everything you need to know. Spent a *lot* of time umming and aahing about which capture device to buy for my old Emac, and eventually plumped for this one. My setup, anyway, is a G4 Emac PPC 1.42Ghz with a gig of memory, and this works fine with it (although even compressed formats result in massive files... hey-ho...). I *did* try it with an old G3 Imac initially, with which it *didn't* work due to the USB port being 1.1 and not 2.0. Not a very lyrical review, I know, but hopefully useful to someone...
on 23 January 2013
I've tried a couple of devices for capturing videos before that were more expensive than this one, and they've generally been buggy and awkward to use, resulting in video formats that seem impossible to use in any software. I had doubts that this device would do the job for the very cheap price, but I've just transferred my first video with it onto my Macbook pro and imported it straight into iMovie and it works fantastically. The software is easy to use and has quite a few options for altering the video settings. The instructions are fairly well written and useful. The quality of the transferred video is hard for me to judge truly, as I'm transferring fuzzy old VHS tapes so the source is not great, but it looks perfectly fine to me. If you've got professional type quality video to transfer you'll probably want to spend more money, but if you just want to digitise your home movies then this is a bargain.