Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 13 January 2011
I've been a fan of the Terry Brock-era late 1980's Strangeways ever since I originally heard 'Native Sons' when it was released on vinyl. Like many others, I was very surprised to hear of a comeback album over 20 years later.....with none other than Terry Brock himself on vocals.....after all these years!

To be totally honest, I was initially quite disappointed when I first listened to 'Perfect World.' And like some of the other reviewers, I think the production lets it down....making it sound a little smothered.... BUT with a little tweaking of your bass and treble controls (both needing quite a boost IMO) the sound can be improved somewhat.

The fact is I'd already heard Terry Brock's latest solo album 'Diamond Blue.' Now that album sounds very much like a continuation of Strangeways' 'Walk In The Fire'.....great production, excellent AOR music with driving guitars and great melodies, and Brock's vocals are on top form throughout 'Diamond Blue.' It's certainly a step up from 'Back To Eden' - as good a solo effort as that was.

So if you compare 'Perfect World' to 'Native Sons' 'Walk in the Fire' or 'Diamond Blue' you may be a little disappointed. (I can't comment on the post-Brock Strangeways albums cos I haven't heard them. Most reviews put me off!) BUT don't let that stop you! This latest offering from Strangeways is still very good, so don't write it off just yet. In fact it gets better every time I listen to it (especially on headphones). It's more chilled out, but there are some great songs on here. Yes, there's an issue with the production, and IMO Brock's voice may not be as strong and consistent as on 'Diamond Blue'...nevertheless, give it a chance and let it stand on it's own. You may enjoy it. I'm appreciating it the more I listen to it. Here's hoping they do another album before too long that will have a little more bite to it - and better production!
on 27 November 2010
Honestly, I love Strangeways, but this disc is a waste of your time and money. It sounds like the master tapes were dropped in a muddy puddle. I've heard bad demos that sound better than this so-called finished product. How their record label can sleep at night after charging people full price for something which is of such poor audio quality, I'll never know.

Do you love Strangeways? Then buy Terry Brock's solo album 'Diamond Blue' instead, if you havent already.
on 25 June 2011
I gave up on Strangeways when Terry Brock originally left in the early 90's.Much like
Journey without Steve Perry the music failed to reach the heights of the definative line ups.
Having read mixed reviews for "Perfect World" I approached this CD with an open mind.
Having listened to it a few times now,I think this is a GOOD album, it doesn't scale the heights of Native Sons or Walk In The Fire, but it doesn't disappoint.
It isn't overly long or overblown like Journey's comeback album " Trial By Fire".
Altogether,a fine effort.
Go on, give it a try.
on 16 October 2010
A great return , sure it does contain a few slower tempo songs but this is a band that has matured & moved on as musicians [remember it is 21 yrs since walk in the fire}. this disc does benefit from 2 or 3 listens and i personally think it is a worthy come back, songs like the title song ,borderline, time & liberty are pure class from a much missed band . now for a uk tour?.
on 5 January 2013
this album and walk in the fire are strangeways best 2 .terry is greatly missed on other strangeways cd s
on 15 December 2010
I've been a huge fan of Strangeways since I saw them support Europe in the mid-eighties when they blew the roof off the old `Manchester Apollo'. I was over the moon to hear they were reforming for the recent Firefest performance and with an album to follow. It's been over ten years since their last studio album which is enough time to get it right, surely?

Before its release I was concerned they might fall into the trap of reinventing themselves to push their original sound towards (what they feel is) a more contemporary feel to give them wider appeal as so many reformed eighties rock bands have done before but to little effect. So when I finally got to listen to the album it obvious almost immediately that my concerns appeared to be entirely justified. Gone are the great guitar riffs, the sweeping melodies and anthemic vibes running through the core of every track and in their place are watered down, almost weedy jazz-esque guitars and instantly forgettable melodies without a memorable anthem in sight. Worst of all though is that almost every track is a ballad, save for Perfect World and the utterly forgettable filler Movin' On. Personally, I don't like ballads at all, I delete them from playlists, but usually a `rock' (I use the word loosely here) album has one, maybe two on there, this album is filled with them. Also, as the previous reviewer mentioned, the production quality on this offering is terrible. It just sounds flat and lifeless, even when played on a quality system. There's just no getting away from the fact that this whole effort seems rushed on all levels just to coincide with a reunion performance. Terry Brock must really be wondering what he's let himself in for.

Eighties rock/metal bands need to remember what made them popular in the first place. Yes, we've all moved on from the eighties, we've cut our hair, we've got families and respectable jobs but we've not moved on so much that we've binned our music collections, we do still play them. We want more of the same with a hint of the contemporary ala Terry Brock `Diamond Blue', W.E.T. `W.E.T' or Giant `Promised Land'.........So, don't waste your money on this you'll only be disappointed.